No announcement yet.

Chrome shops straighten bumpers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: Chrome shops straighten bumpers?

I have the original bumper from my 39 CE and am thinking of getting it chromed. Does a typical shop straighten them? Its pretty straight along the top but the bottom is a bit crooked.
    Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Yes. A reputable shop will straighten as well as remove dings, dents and pitting. Many will even fill in the holes where the bumper bolts go and weld on studs in their place so you can attach the bumper without the bumper bolts showing for the smooth seamless look.
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Thanks Eddie!

Tom

Comment

North Star Plating is the big guys for bumper straightening and replating in Minnesota. They put their stickers on the back sides of the bumpers on my 50 Champion.

The previous owner must have bumped something or someone bumped the corner of the bumper and sprung it back about an inch after they restored the car. This also bowed the edges outward just on the outside of the bumper horn. I hooked an old tire over the end of the bumper and used a cable winch and tree to pull the end of the bumper forward. I then used a hydraulic jack on the bottom edge that was bumped out, and used a 2 x 4 and hammer on the top bump out. This brought the bumper back into perfect shape again.

Comment

Thanks TW!

TW

Comment

Barry Hackney got mine done in Texas. After a mix up with the front bumper, he had the original front one redone. Nice chrome, but I should have sent some bumper guards for the shop to check shape with. I was going to use my small guards on either side of the front plate, but they don't fit the curve. Oh well....
            Attached Files
            Last edited by 52-fan; 11-01-2016, 05:59 AM.
            "In the heart of Arkansas."
            Searcy, Arkansas
            1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
            1952 2R pickup

Comment

Working...
            X