51 Champ Trans Bolts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 51 Champ Trans Bolts

I was sand blasting the transmission bolts today and noticed when they cleaned up the the heads were imprinted with the notation "cp 1038". Anyone know what that stands for[?] I searched the WEB and found several sites that were selling bolts with this head marking, but they all seemed to be aimed and Harly Davision Motor Cycles.

I was just wondering aimlessly

I don't know that it applies to your bolts, but 1038 is a medium grade steel, as opposed to cold rolled which is 1018. The 38 refers to .38 percent carabon steel. the more carbon in steel the tougher (more hardenable) it is, up to a point. If this does refer to the compositionn, they might be equivelant to grade 5 bolts.

Tom Bredehoft
    '53 Commander Coupe
    '60 Lark VI
    '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
    All three Indiana built OD cars

Comment

Generally any markings on a bolt head that are not grade markings (hash marks on SAE bolts or ratings like 8.8 or 10.9 on metric) are manufacturer codes. I suspect that Tom may be right about the 1039; "CP" is probably the manufacturer, although I don't know who that is.

I actually spent about a year working in a fastener factory; I now know more about fasteners than I probably need to, and can set up a cold header or a thread roller. I'm not certain exactly how useful those skills are...

nate

--
      55 Commander Starlight
      --
      55 Commander Starlight
      http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Maybe CP stands for Champion Phasteners [}]

Miscreant adrift in
        the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe
        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Good one, your humor is overwellming, I am still LOL

Jerry

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

Maybe CP stands for Champion Phasteners [}]

Miscreant adrift in
          the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe

Comment

I vote for "Cheap Part" and the number is for the bin it was stored in.

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"

Studebaker horse drawn buggy; 1946 M-16 fire truck; 1948 M-16 grain truck; 1949 2R16A grain truck; 1949 2R17A fire truck; 1950 2R5 pickup; 1952 2R17A grain truck; 1952 Packard 200 4 door; 1955 E-38 grain truck; 1957 3E-40 flatbed; 1961 6E-28 grain truck; 1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck; 1962 7E-7 Champ pickup; 1962 GT Hawk 4 speed; 1963 8E-28 flatbed; 1964 Avanti R2 4 speed; 1964 Cruiser and various other "treasures".

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Comment

Working...
            X