Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedo / Tach / Gauges: Fuel Gauge Hook-Up for 1947 M5

Hello,

I need help hooking up a gas gauge on my 1947 M5 pickup. The gauge currently sits at full all of the time. I replaced the sending unit and verified that the wires are not broken from the sending unit to the gauge. I have a replacement gauge as pictured below, but I wanted to first verify if the current gauge is just not hooked up wrong. The current gauge has a wire attached to the "IGN" bottom terminal. From what I could see crawling under there is also a wire on the "1" left terminal. I don't see a wire attached to the "2" right terminal but I can't confirm that as it is pretty difficult to get under that dashboard. How is the gas gauge supposed to bee hooked up? What wires hook up to terminal 1 and terminal 2?

1947 Studebaker M-5
    1946 Studebaker M-5
    1948 Studebaker Land Cruiser
    1961 Studebaker Lark 4-dr. Sedan
    1951 Studebaker Land Cruiser

I would try to buy a shop manual for your truck, or at the least a wiring diagram from ebay.
    There is a guy on ebay selling wiring diagrams on cardboard stock that would be good to get laminated and keep in the shop.

My 1950 Champion gauge would stay on full when I had the tank unit disconnected, so a bad ground might cause the same condition.

Comment

Here is the page from M Truck shop manual. Yes, poor ground can also cause that problem.
      Here's a very reasonably priced manual on ebay right now.....

Click image for larger version

Name:	Mtruck.gas.gauge.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	172.6 KB
ID:	1709775
      Last edited by Dwain G.; 10-29-2016, 08:58 PM. Reason: manual for sale
      Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Working...
      X