Correct SuperHawk footplates?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Correct SuperHawk footplates?

We are about to start restoring a 64 R2 Superhawk (ex show circuit car) upon dismantling it I noticed the rear sway bar foot plates look like they have been made up with a bracket that is welded to the stock foot plate, not pressed out as one unit.
    Can a Forum member clarify if this is correct because we want to restore the car as best we can back to original condition.
    The car appears to be totally unmolested.
    Thanks in advance.

Brian Greenall
    Melbourne, OZ
    sigpic

Yep, that's the correct '63-'64 spring bracket for cars with factory rear sway bar...and it was welded up...at the factory!

Studebaker must have ran short of the earlier, 'one piece' style...as you have on your PH. ....Speedster King

Comment

Yes, that's what they did. I'm not sure if all were that way but it seems most are.

Comment

Remember, the rear shock mounting changed in '63 - earlier was loop style, changed to lower stud mount - so those previous spring pads would not have worked. The welded on stabilizer bar mount was needed on the new style spring pads.

Comment

Originally posted by Studebakercenteroforegon View Post
          Remember, the rear shock mounting changed in '63 - earlier was loop style, changed to lower stud mount - so those previous spring pads would not have worked. The welded on stabilizer bar mount was needed on the new style spring pads.
          Agreed!...That completely explains the change!

Comment

Whew, that's one rough looking Hawk.

Comment

Funny enough tim333 the car is quite solid!
              Delivered new to the West coast might have saved it , the roof is good, the floors have only the usually rust on the front boards and the front fenders, door shells are MINT with no rust at all.
              Brian Greenall
              Melbourne, OZ
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by tim333 View Post
                Whew, that's one rough looking Hawk.
                But......it's a R2 Full Package car, so it's worth saving.
                Paul
                Winston-Salem, NC
                Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
                Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Brian, the Picture does show what is truly solid on the outside.still hard to believe so with the Front Fenders though "being a Studebaker". I wouldn't be surprised if You had the only original condition Fenders actually in MINT condition. You'll have no trouble bringing this back to high standards

Originally posted by packardHawk58 View Post
                  Funny enough tim333 the car is quite solid!
                  Delivered new to the West coast might have saved it , the roof is good, the floors have only the usually rust on the front boards and the front fenders, door shells are MINT with no rust at all.
                  Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Footplates? Lol! I was expecting a Picture of the FLOOR boards!
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

You are right there Rich! I don't know what I was thinking about when I typed in the title.
                      Yes Joe, we have the rest of the panels in NOS so it should be an easy resto. unfortunately the R2 takes precedence over your old R1 so she will have to wait for another day.
                      Thanks for the input guys.
                      Brian Greenall
                      Melbourne, OZ
                      sigpic

Comment

I'm already regretting letting this one go, having read just these few comments. Not really as I knew that I'd most likely never get this car finished. I'm so glad that it ended up with Brian, as I know it will be done correctly and be beautiful when done. Keep us up to speed as you progress Brian. Thanks again, Bill.

Comment

That's a factory weld??!!

Comment

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
                            That's a factory weld??!!
                            Yep!, that indeed is a Studebaker factory weld. (Friday weld?)

Comment

What's the Vin number of the car. Looks like a fun project. My 59 Lark is in about the same shape. The main objective is to get another Studebaker back on the road.

Comment

Working...
                              X