powershift

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: powershift

Got the motor and trans out of the gt and cleaned off tag on trans. Only numbers I could find where 14854. Tag was green at one time so as near as I can tell it is a powershift. Is it best to remove the bellhousing with the trans or should I split it at the trans? I only plan to put in new seals front and rear and pan gasket and clean and paint as it worked good.

The number quoted is the production sequence. Green is the correct colour for 3.73 and down R/A ratios. Red is for 4.09 & up. The only difference is the speedometer drive gear teeth number.

Comment

Also should I send the converter out to be flushed. There again trans worked fine with no known issues.

Comment

I would think you could tell it is a Powershift by the floor shifter. No need to remove the Converter Housing or Converter, just check the Flex Plate as best you can through the Air Cooling opening on the right.

Of course Drain the Converter, and if the fluid is not badly contaminated or burned, I would not have it rebuilt.
        When the Trans. is out it can be resealed front, rear and Bottom also the Filter Screen can be serviced.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

It had the floor shift and did work like a powershift but the car was 50 years old so wasn't sure what could have been swaped out over the years. Looks to have the factory trans as I was told it was. I know it still has the twin trac and it does work. I left two marks on my shop floor to prove that by mistake.

Comment

Dropped to oil today and although not brand new red still very clean and no sign of any burnt smell. Maybe if I get time tomorrow I can pull it off the bellhouseing. cooling lines and filler tube even came off with no problems. There's a shocker for you.

Comment

Pulled the trans off at the housing yesterday. I would think if you swapped out the 289 and powershift for a 350 chev with aftermarket heads and intake and a 350 turbo you would loose 250 to 400 lbs off the front. That old cast iron trans is heavy.

Comment

Did you have a drain back problem leaving a pool of transmission oil on the floor after a week of sitting? If so, you may want to consider replacing the front pump bushing. One issue I've encountered with my power shifts. Servicing the transmission is always a good idea. You may want to check if the torque converter is the standard or heavy duty. The two torque converters have different RPM stall rates.

Allen
                1964 GT Hawk
                PSMCDR 2014
                Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
                PSMCDR 2013
                Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

Working...
                X