X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Avanti engine

Hello guys

My 63 Avanti is under restoration, here in Greece
    I need someone to tell me from which other brand i can use a v8 engine in my Avanti.
    Would be Chevy, Ford or other brand?
    Which one is better to use?

Any ideas please?

thanks a lot for your help

Your car, your cost, your decision; FWIW, it's been my experience the Avanti will be worth more when resold if it has the Studebaker engine in it.

Should you decide to use another engine, most every US-built OHV8 has been swapped into the Avanti at one time or another. Those with a rear sump oil pan are usually easier.

Next question is what transmission you plan to use?

jack vines
    PackardV8

Comment

Jack is correct, your Avanti should always be worth more, particularily restored, with it's original engine.

Barring that, later Avanti's, same car different manufacture, used small block Chevrolet engines and transmissions from 1967-1983 so all the parts necessary are known and available. Those same manufactures also added a strip to the front fenders to increase height to make the installation easier. It also took away much of the original Avanti appearance rake.

I'm a small block guy from the word go, but if you can keep the car original, I would. Ship the engine to Jack V. and let him make it new again as you are doing a total restore from your post.

Bob

Comment

Thanks Jack
        I also want to use the original engine but you see the problem is that i cannot find a studebaker engine. And i mean anywhere.
        do you have any idea where can i find one?
        i plan to use a manual transmission

Comment

S
          Originally posted by Avanti10 View Post
          Thanks Jack, I also want to use the original engine but you see the problem is that i cannot find a Studebaker engine. And i mean anywhere. Do you have any idea where can i find one? I plan to use a manual transmission
          Studebaker engines are relatively common here, as are most US V8s. The cost of shipping an engine to Greece is what makes the problem. If you know of a freight consolidator out of Seattle, we could provide a rebuilt Chevrolet 350" V8 for $2500 or a rebuilt Studebaker 289" for $3500, F.O.B. Seattle. If you are buying an engine from the US, confirm you're getting a complete engine, including flywheel, clutch and bell housing.

It is also important to know which manual transmission. The Avanti used a Studebaker-specific input shaft and Ford-pattern case Borg-Warner T10 4-speed. It will not bolt up directly to a Chevy, Ford or other US V8. There are adapters you can use, but in Greece, they may be difficult to find. The input shaft can be modified by a machine shop. Specifically which manual transmission are you planning to use?

jack vines
          PackardV8

Comment

I don't know which one exactly. Ideally the original one? I wouldn't mind 3 speed or 4 speed...
            the ideal for me is to buy the complete engine with the transmission etc. the full package.
            here in Greece it's almost impossible to make any modifications.

who can provide a full studebaker engine with transmission?

Comment

If you can't find a Studebaker engine and like the rake of your 63 Avanti, a used LS engine will fit under the stock Avanti hood and mount to the stock engine frame mounts with simple aftermarket adapter plates. A GM six speed manual transmission will mount directly to the stock Avanti frame but is too large for the stock tunnel. If you go with an aluminum LS/automatic you will have a front end that is about 300 pounds lighter than the 63 Stude ... and will have almost double the horsepower of the stock 77 Chevy short block. The LS/automatic is found in almost all rear wheel drive GM cars (and trucks) but, if you want to mess with the tunnel and go with a stick then you will need to look to 2005+ Corvettes and Pontiac GTOs. An LS will need an aftermarket rear sump oil pan and some compact Hooker headers to clear the frame, steering and cross members. Depending on the LS, you may also have to hollow out the Studebaker front cross member to have enough space for the alternator, but otherwise the LS is the right length and height for the Avanti engine bay. Good Luck.

Comment

I don't know which one exactly. Ideally the original one? I wouldn't mind 3 speed or 4 speed...
                the ideal for me is to buy the complete engine with the transmission etc. the full package.
                here in Greece it's almost impossible to make any modifications.

who can provide a full studebaker engine with transmission?
                We could possibly supply a complete Avanti engine and transmission, either the Studebaker or the Chevrolet version. Probably what would work best for you is a running engine. To add all the manifolds, sheet metal and accessories, is beyond the scope of what we normally do and adds considerably to the expense. First order of operation is for you to decide if you prefer the Studebaker or the Chevrolet. The Chevy is less expensive, but requires the seller to find the motor mounts to fit the Avanti as well.

What I'd suggest is you putting a "Wanted to Buy" post on here. There are sometimes members who are doing an engine swap and pulling a running engine and transmission. That way, you'd be getting everything in one place.

jack vines
                PackardV8

Comment

Just for interest, What are the emission requirements that the finished car needs to meet? Year of car manufacture, years of engine manufacture, current year or some other requirement?

Comment

PM sent for possible engines and parts in Belgium.
                    Start and Stage Your Studebakers

Comment

Having done an LS3 conversion and having installed a T-5 five-speed behind the Stude engine 20+ years ago... I'd suggest going with the "standard" small-block Chevy as Avanti Motor Corp used, hooked to a T-5. The earlier ones (from 80's Camaros/Firebirds) fit without cutting up the tunnel or frame. Just my Euro's worth. All the best.

Btw, if you are interested in the LS series engines, you may pm me if you wish. I think I have the patterns for the high-left alternator bracketry I fabbed that did not require any mods to the frame or fender-liner. I also have a list of all the things I discovered/fabricated to make the install work and not do anything that could not be put back to original if desired. Here tis below, though there have been some minor cosmetic mods since this pic was taken (e.g. Lokar dip-stick, etc.)
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Xcalibur; 10-24-2016, 06:30 PM.

Comment

DAAAAAAAANG ! ! ! ! ! I love the look of that LS in the engine bay of that Avanti. WOW oh WOW does that ever look fantastic. I sent a PM also for any details you may offer. I would love to do the same..... well, not the same, cuz mine won't look nearly as nice and clean, but I do love the go-fast of those LS engines.
                        I have a Silverado Std Cab Short Bed slightly lowered. I just transplanted a cammed 6.0 into it. Then added a 4:10 rear gear posi. Oh boy is that fun to drive. Its a mild looking sleeper. Just the way I like it.
                        sals54

Comment

Hey

for the old cars, once the car is registered noboby asks for anything.
                          There are some requierements for the new cars which only euro4 or euro5 allowed

Comment

Hey

for the old cars, once the car is registered noboby asks for anything.
                            There are some requierements for the new cars which only euro4 or euro5 allowed
                            If all else fails and the cost of foreign sourcing is high, why not consider a European engine from a rear drive car or truck. The Avanti weighs about 3100 pounds with the heavy Studebaker engine and transmission so probably a couple hundred pounds lighter with a modern engine and transmission.

I don't know anything about reprogramming ECM's over there but there must be a ton of light duty trucks with rear wheel drive available. Any combination of u-joints can be used to make the drive shaft. It would take a lot of measuring but I doubt it would be more difficult than a modern LS installation and I'l bet the European units are smaller than ours.

How about a 63 Avanti with a M-B diesel drive train.

Comment

lol nice!!

I prefer though to put a 302 V8 or even better the original 289 Stude engine.
                              I will keep looking and searching!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X