Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Cooling water outlet

Will a Ford or Chevrolet thermostat cover water outlet fit a 289 Studebaker

The Thermostat Housing on Studebaker V8's has a recess cut into it for the Thermostat to fit, on "Other Engines" the recess is in the Manifold it attaches to. So NO you need to buy them here: http://studebakervendors.com
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks for reply is the bolt pattern the same a thick gasket would solve the lack of a recess in the water manifold. Or does Stude vendors have an inexpensive Crome neck?

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
        The Thermostat Housing on Studebaker V8's has a recess cut into it for the Thermostat to fit, on "Other Engines" the recess is in the Manifold it attaches to. So NO you need to buy them here: http://studebakervendors.com
        The chrome neck on my engine has seeped since I got it. I have been intending to remove it and seal it up. That may be my problem.
        "In the heart of Arkansas."
        Searcy, Arkansas
        1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
        1952 2R pickup

Comment

Originally posted by 52-fan View Post
          The chrome neck on my engine has seeped since I got it. I have been intending to remove it and seal it up. That may be my problem.
          Mine had a slight leak so I removed it and found out it had a slight bow due to the bolts being over tightened. I removed it and "milled" it flat with a piece of #80 grit sandpaper on a flat board and cleaned it up with some #220. Some judicious torque ...and a good gasket... is required when reinstalling it.

Comment

I have used sbc housings stock or after market. Used a gasket below thermostat and above no leaks.

Comment

Thanks for all the input

Comment

Doing it wrong without the "recess" is just asking for a leak.
                Original Studebaker outlets are Cast Iron on '47 to 1960's and originals and reproductions are Aluminum on '61 to 1966.

No Chrome, and it is a good thing, as they usually do not last without leaks.
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                X