Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: New parking brake cable, to lube or not to lube

Hello all,

I received a new front parking brake cable today. I reviewed the shop manual instructions on how to replace it but I am not sure if the new cable needs to be lubed or not, considering that it is under the car and exposed to crud the may cause the cable to rust to the housing.

So do you lube it with white grease, axle grease, graphite or leave it alone?

thanks,

Jeff T.
    \"I\'m getting nowhere as fast as I can\"
    The Replacements.

It may well have been left alone at the factory. I would not be that un-cautious. Recommend white grease or lithium.
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I would hang the cable up by one end and oil it until it ran out the bottom.

Comment

There are aresol dry film lubricants. Goes on, penetrates and dries. Lubed but not drawing contaminants. Lubrication Engineers product # 9200 is an excellent example. Check website.
        Kim

Comment

For the first time in a while, I have a functioning parking brake

I used white lithium grease and sprayed the heck out of it while moving the cable through the housing.

thanks everyone.

Jeff T.
          \"I\'m getting nowhere as fast as I can\"
          The Replacements.

Comment

Jeff, i'd take a look at the cable after some driving to see if any crud has stuck to the cable with grease/oil being used.

the dry lubricant mentioned above would be my first choice. even WD-40 would be ok for rust protection/lube.
            Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Each part of the OEM cable was galvanized and no lube was used, attracts crud. a dry film lube is best unless stuck then remove and soak in something , i use diesel. Luck Doofus PS i have seen genuine cables and they were still good after all this time.

Comment

WD-40 is not a lubricant. WD = water displacement.

Comment

Originally posted by fastjohnll View Post
                  WD-40 is not a lubricant. WD = water displacement.
                  WD-40 should definitely never be used to lubricate a cable. The oil in the penetrating formulation evaporates very quickly. As a rule, unless the e-brake cable comes with a zerk fitting on it for greasing , the cable is meant to be dry.

Comment

Working...
                  X