PDA

View Full Version : Are Prices Rising?

Commander Eddie
10-22-2016, 05:26 PM
We have a classic car dealership here in Newberg, Oregon and I stop in every now and then to see what they have for sale. They generally have about 30 very nice cars of various makes, models and years for sale. I stopped in today while I was out in my '55 President sedan to look at a sweet '52 MG that was sitting in one of the windows.
A couple of the sales people came out to look at my car. One of these gentleman I believe, is one of the owners (they have multiple locations around the country). We got to talking about my car and Studebakers in general. At one point I asked him what he would pay for my car if I decided to sell it. The poor thing is dirty at the moment and not looking its very best, but still presentable. To my shock he said he would pay $15,000 and try to sell it at $21,000. I was floored. I know they have had Studebakers/Avantis for sale in the past so he is not totally in the dark regarding their value but this just surprised me. I stood there thinking, could he really get that much for it? Who would pay that much if they were watching the market?
I thought I would pass this along. It may be a wake up call for we CASOs.

Skip Lackie
10-22-2016, 06:12 PM
I can't really answer your question, but I usually check out the big full-page ads from old car dealers in Hemmings. I am always struck by how high the asking prices are for what I consider to be fairly commonplace vehicles. My suspicion (unconfirmed) is that most of their customers are not long-time antique car freaks, but people who are buying their first old car, educated (to the degree that is possible) by the prices paid for vehicles sold on televised auctions. In other words, most of their customers do not have a good idea of what such vehicles normally sell for. Whether their likely offer price to you makes sense I don't know.

j.byrd
10-22-2016, 07:10 PM
Commander Eddie, a few years ago some of us would not have considered paying prices for "just an old car" that we do now. In our case, we had been watching for a 53 to 55 coupe we would enjoy for years, but the right one just never came up at the right time. Now that we live over here in Hawaii, taking everything into consideration like ability, space, time, and just being tired of thrashing for years to build or fix up something like we have done for years, the prices these cars bring these days actually seem like a deal. We got it off the boat, turned the key, drove it about 90 miles to the house, and have driven it anytime we wanted to since. I know everyone can't afford a car that they can just get in and drive off, that's the way we have been for years too....but....some folks just get finished with always fixing, always having less than they want, and never just enjoying a car, so some of us folks that have scraped together the resources, just finally, after all these years, just do it and pay the price to get what they have wanted. I really think more folks are doing this than in the past, so this naturally ramps up the old supply and demand thing. And besides, those darn fancy auctions and concours type shows that have started featuring some of our "growing up" cars are shown to everyone now, and a lot more people are seeing how pretty some of our old cars are now, so the "want" factor is increased, ha !

63 R2 Hawk
10-22-2016, 07:17 PM
I think they do their own financing and/or have a classic car financing company they work with, which probably makes buying an overpriced "classic" from them easy. I'll bet their biggest source of income is from loan interest. They do have a few good reviews out there, so some folks seem to be satisfied with their purchases.

Corvanti
10-22-2016, 07:49 PM
i've noticed that even on ebay, Studebaker prices seem to be rising - not counting some highly inflated "Buy It Now"
prices.:mad:

i never want to sell my '51 Business Coupe but it's nice to know i could probably get what i paid for it, or more if i have an emergency situation.

i won't go into maybe better economic times than there has been in the past 7 or 8 years. perhaps it's because of the "Boomers" retiring with the ability to purchase the vehicle they grew up with or one they always wanted.

Commander Eddie
10-22-2016, 09:36 PM
I think they do their own financing and/or have a classic car financing company they work with, which probably makes buying an overpriced "classic" from them easy. I'll bet their biggest source of income is from loan interest. They do have a few good reviews out there, so some folks seem to be satisfied with their purchases.

Some good observations being made here. With regard to 63 R2 Hawk's point about financing, I was told that this company does their own financing and offer very low down payment with no interest for 60 months and a 2% interest rate. You are quite right, this would make a big difference to a buyer.

Mikado282
10-22-2016, 10:21 PM
Commander Eddie, does it make you wonder whether you sold your Commander too cheap? The same thing is happening in the collectable gun world. I have 3 guns that have appreciated 2-300% over what I paid for them 3-4 years ago. The whole market for collectables is getting crazy but at sometime the bubble will burst.

Silverplate
10-22-2016, 10:39 PM
I am not sure if prices are rising or not but I do believe there is more serious interest today than there has been in the past. I have attended several events this year, including a orphan show, local shows and car get togethers where I think people are showing more interest in buying our type cars. As the owner of a nice Avanti and a Corvette, it is considerably less expensive to own a Studebaker. People looking to get into the car hobby can get an incredible buy in the twenty grand range when considering Studebakers, other orphan cars and the none big names. For example a very nice LeMans instead of a GTO or a Maibu and not an SS. Your seeing magazines saying the same thing and people are interested. They will paying the money for nice examples.

Commander Eddie
10-22-2016, 11:11 PM
More good points. Especially about the affordability of Studebakers over other more popular makes and models.
Greg, I do have to wonder if I could have gotten more money for the Commander if I had waited another year to sell it. It becomes the same story as selling and then buying another house in a hot market. Sure you can get more for your home than you paid for it, but how much are you going to pay for another one?

T.J. lavallee
10-23-2016, 01:49 PM
As collectors have all lusted for the tri-fives, T-Birds and the like along with the heavy emphasis on 60's muscle cars there has become a shortage of them resulting in sometimes astronomical pricing increases. Attempts at cloning original 60's cars into muscle cars has resulted in price increases for unmolested vehicles if one can find one. For the collector looking to get into the hobby they need to look elsewhere for a more reasonably priced old car. The problem is that the orphan cars have been neglected for the most part in favor of the above mentioned cars and have become more scares in the market place. This I believe will drive the market values higher in the end. Supply and demand is always the rule.

studeclunker
10-23-2016, 04:48 PM
Funny... someone valuated Bess ('56 Parkview, shabby condition) at six grand. I thought they were out of their mind and told them so. Maybe I was the one who was nutz.

RadioRoy
10-23-2016, 06:36 PM
Estimating a car's value and then selling a car for that price are two totally different animals.

Everything I try to sell is valueless and everything I look to buy is priceless.

wdills
10-23-2016, 07:18 PM
Amen Roy. My stuff is the same way.

redbox
10-24-2016, 06:10 AM
Estimating a car's value and then selling a car for that price are two totally different animals.

Everything I try to sell is valueless and everything I look to buy is priceless.

I thought I passed you a couple of times going down that same road.

plee4139
10-24-2016, 07:18 AM
Today, muscle cars and the like are getting ridiculous prices, because, as stated earlier, for the men who grew up in the 70's, these were their dream cars. I have kind of a standing joke I use regarding Studies: take off all the Studebaker ID's and past on Chevy bowties, and you'll double, nay, treble your price. BTW, can anyone tell me what CASO means? Cars Are So Omnipotent? Commanders Are So Overthetop? Or maybe Champions Ate Sugared Okra?

Commander Eddie
10-24-2016, 10:01 AM
CASO . . . cheap ass Studebaker owners. -- Seriously.

candbstudebakers
10-24-2016, 11:29 AM
Commander Eddie, a few years ago some of us would not have considered paying prices for "just an old car" that we do now. In our case, we had been watching for a 53 to 55 coupe we would enjoy for years, but the right one just never came up at the right time. Now that we live over here in Hawaii, taking everything into consideration like ability, space, time, and just being tired of thrashing for years to build or fix up something like we have done for years, the prices these cars bring these days actually seem like a deal. We got it off the boat, turned the key, drove it about 90 miles to the house, and have driven it anytime we wanted to since. I know everyone can't afford a car that they can just get in and drive off, that's the way we have been for years too....but....some folks just get finished with always fixing, always having less than they want, and never just enjoying a car, so some of us folks that have scraped together the resources, just finally, after all these years, just do it and pay the price to get what they have wanted. I really think more folks are doing this than in the past, so this naturally ramps up the old supply and demand thing. And besides, those darn fancy auctions and concours type shows that have started featuring some of our "growing up" cars are shown to everyone now, and a lot more people are seeing how pretty some of our old cars are now, so the "want" factor is increased, ha !

This car a 55 president coupe that John bought is one of the last 9 cars we have sold out of the San Francisco collection, all nice and all at a good price to the new owners, all well under what it would to put any of these together in these condition, If one has the money to pay the price of a good one it is cheaper in the long run and you can drive and enjoy it right away. The last one we still have is the very nice 49 "C" cab truck with the Ford 390 V-8 engine and all bells one might put on a truck this nice all except A/C it is on E-bay right now for $16,500 and you could not build one like it for $40,000 this one started out with a perfect body.

55 56 PREZ 4D
10-24-2016, 12:47 PM
ARRGH ! Ebay is getting worse.
I plugged in "1949 Studebaker Pickup Truck" and got everything from 4 speed shift knobs, taillight brackets for Model A's, to 53 GMC pickups, but no 49 Studebaker .
Could someone put up the the correct connection.

55coupe
10-24-2016, 01:03 PM
OK Prez go to eBay Motors select Studebaker select Cars & Trucks. Then all the Studebakers on eBay should show up.

Commander Eddie
10-24-2016, 01:08 PM
Try this, PREZ.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2055119.m570.l1312.R3.TR0.TRC4.A0.H0.TRS3&_nkw=Studebaker&_sacat=6001

BigBillyHawk
10-24-2016, 02:31 PM
Buying a car such as the '55 President four door which Commander Eddie talks about in post #1 for $21,000 is one thing, but getting many insurance companies to value it for the same $21,000 is not guaranteed. It's my experience getting a policy written for $21,000 agreed value so that in case of a serious accident the insurance company doesn't scrap my Studebaker is either not available or may cost me some serious annual premiums. Does anybody else have this concern?

j.byrd
10-24-2016, 02:34 PM
Bob (candbstudebakers) is right about the condition and price of our car we got from him, we love it !...the only trouble is, I wanted the truck he describes too, ha ! Thanks Bob !

jackb
10-24-2016, 03:09 PM
just went to the eBay Stude eBay listings......funny !

studegary
10-24-2016, 03:34 PM
Try this, PREZ.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2055119.m570.l1312.R3.TR0.TRC4.A0.H0.TRS3&_nkw=Studebaker&_sacat=6001

This is a nice looking pickup. It is listed as a "Crew Cab Pickup". To me, a crew cab pickup is a four door with two bench seats.

StudeRich
10-24-2016, 04:47 PM
My take on this is, I think the Pricey finished originals and Modded Street Rod C & K's, sporty Models, etc. call them "Expensive Cars" or "the most desirable", ARE going UP, way up.

But the needing everything, "Barn Finds" and average "Daily Drivers" looking OK, but needing many expensive Mechanical repairs are going down.

I think most of us can agree that the environmental (EPA) issues with Paint and Body Work, the high cost of Labor for upholstery and Paint and sometimes Mechanical, if you can't do that yourself, not to mention a slight increase in Parts Prices partly due to most of our Metals and raw materials going to China, are ALL increasing the cost of repair and restoration.

This means if you get in cheap for the Car, you WILL Pay big time for all the above, so the "Cheap Cars" HAVE to be cheap, and the "Pricey Cars" are worth much More.

This also means, if you are not current with actual selling prices, and you Pay Too much, when you discover the costs you're facing, you will sell it at a loss or park it, and give up on it.