View Full Version : Want LED bulbs to Replace 1158 Bulbs

10-22-2016, 08:40 AM
Does anyone know of a good LED replacement for my 1950 Champion 1158 tail and stop light bulbs?

Here is an LED to replace the 1154 bulbs, which have staggered pins. The 1158 has both pins on the same level. I could buy these and file off the high lock pin, and it would probably work, but I'd prefer the correct bulb.

The reason for trying the LED is to see if the lower amp draw would make the brake light switch last longer. I'd rather go this route than add a relay to drop the load on the brake switch. Thanks, Tom


10-22-2016, 09:49 AM
Just a couple of thoughts whichever way you decide to go.

Remember, red bulb behind red lenses work best for light transmission, it's generally better to have leds straight back and on the bulb side to reflect more light and, lastly, you may need a 6v electronic flasher and I don't know their availability.

I've changed a couple of 12V cars to led and used resistors on the lights. I bought a number of resistors and still have quite a few. If you have trouble with a flasher or finding resistors, I'd drop four of mine in the mail if you think they would work on your vehicle.


10-22-2016, 10:51 AM
Definitely go with red bulbs in red lenses & amber in amber. If you go with white in red, the tail light will look pink, & white in amber will look yellow. In order to make mine work in my '63 Avanti I had to use ballast resistors

10-22-2016, 11:32 AM
You try can using the led replacement for 1157 with staggered pins by filing off the upper pin. The remaining pin should hold it in place.

10-22-2016, 12:50 PM
I really, really doubt that stoplight switches are failing because of current draw eroding the contacts. Pressure-type stoplight switches lasted for decades on most any make of car that used them.

I suspect the true problem is one or a combination of: reformulated brake fluid attacking diaphragms, old, old stack switches with dried-out rubber parts, and offshore-made switches with indifferent quality control.

If excessive current were a problem, you could simply insert a small relay into the circuit. But the best solution is probably to rig a mechanical switch to the pedal linkage.

10-22-2016, 04:42 PM
I think you are right Gord. I went to the surplus store a couple hours ago and bought a micro switch, but didn't find the regular brake switch I was hoping to find.

And as far as turn signals, they will stay the same because 1950 used independent bulbs for turn signals.