PDA

View Full Version : I hate this getting old!

Warren Webb
10-21-2016, 02:58 AM
My wife & friends are surprised by how I can remember things from many years ago yet my short term memory is getting pretty bad. Just now I came across an item in Stude Swap & thought "he has the molding that ..........what's his name? needs! What makes it worse is "what's his name" comes in here often & all I can remember right now is he lives nearby in Murrieta!

So in desperation I'm posting here, bashing my head, trying to think of his screen name so he can get this long needed 1/4 molding for his 52 hardtop! What makes things even worse is he's been to the house here & has invited me to his place too. And I cant remember...........

HAWK64
10-21-2016, 04:47 AM
I'm wondering if I am heading the same way at the tender age of 80!!

Lamar
10-21-2016, 05:15 AM
It isn't so bad when you consider the alternative. lol Lamar

waynedavey62
10-21-2016, 05:32 AM
I'm wondering if I am heading the same way at the tender age of 80!!

You always remember who I am Jim.

rkapteyn
10-21-2016, 05:46 AM
Dean Pearson?

candbstudebakers
10-21-2016, 11:47 AM
Right Dean Pearson also need a rear seat.

BILT4ME
10-21-2016, 12:35 PM
The great thing about Alzheimer's is that you get to meet new people every day!

(Don't bag on me......it runs in my family....got to make light of it somehow 'cause we can't change it yet.)

JohnMSeymour
10-21-2016, 01:35 PM
If you would put the year, model and parts in the title of your post, he might be more likely to see it.

studeclunker
10-21-2016, 02:55 PM
My wife & friends are surprised by how I can remember things from many years ago yet my short term memory is getting pretty bad. Just now I came across an item in Stude Swap & thought "he has the molding that ..........what's his name? needs! What makes it worse is "what's his name" comes in here often & all I can remember right now is he lives nearby in Murrieta!

So in desperation I'm posting here, bashing my head, trying to think of his screen name so he can get this long needed 1/4 molding for his 52 hardtop! What makes things even worse is he's been to the house here & has invited me to his place too. And I cant remember...........

I feel your pain brother! However, age has nothing to do with it for me. I haven't ever been able to remember other people's names. The greatest embarrassment of my life! Dogs and horses, most often, yes. People for some odd reason, no.

57pack
10-21-2016, 03:14 PM
Hello Warren, welcome to the club!:lol:
Happened to me years ago. I would be working on something upstairs an would need a tool. I would get down to the basement and wonder what I needed!

swvalcon
10-21-2016, 08:08 PM
Warren in maybe twenty years when it moves over to your long term memory side you will think of who it is. I totally agree this getting older is no fun. I have pains in places I use to not even have places.

Studedude
10-21-2016, 09:28 PM
Dean hasn't posted since August. Kinda miss him.

raprice
10-21-2016, 11:43 PM
I'm approaching my 80th birthday next year and sometimes short-term memory is a bit of a problem. My long-term memory is good. Actually all this sure beats the alternative. I'll deal with short term memory. It's not that I can't remember things, it just takes a little longer sometimes. I can deal with that.
Rog

Warren Webb
10-22-2016, 02:16 AM
I think it is Dean. If anyone has a recent roster could you PM me with his number so I can call & tell him. The newest one I have is 2001. Shame on me!

hank63
10-22-2016, 06:51 AM
I have only 2 problems creeping up with age - my short term memory is gone .....................and my short term memory is gone

SN-60
10-22-2016, 09:50 AM
I have only 2 problems creeping up with age - my short term memory is gone .....................and my short term memory is gone

That's FUNNY! :D...Oh, also,....... That's FUNNY! :D

rkapteyn
10-22-2016, 11:06 AM
PM me and I will give you Dean's email.
Robert Kapteyn

Jett289
10-22-2016, 01:11 PM
I'm only 50 and I'm terrible with names and remembering things .. I have found a solution to help with a couple things .. When first meeting someone try and use their name three times .. The other is lets say you went down stairs to get something and when you get there you have forgotten what it was ... I found if you take three steps backwards that it will often trigger your memory .. I thought it was silly at first but it has actually worked for me ..

jclary
10-22-2016, 02:59 PM
From the title of this thread, I pondered if you hate "this"...Getting Old...or, if you hate getting "THIS" old?:confused:

It's the kind of "word" games us geezers play, when we no longer feel like going outside to chase a ball.;):whome:

studegary
10-22-2016, 04:10 PM
Just this afternoon, I received word that a classmate just went into a nursing home with dementia. He is not expected to leave. Dementia/Alzheimer's is really hard on the people around the patient (family & friends), not the patient. This is something that we really need a prevention and/or cure for.

53commander
10-22-2016, 09:45 PM
I been noticing that lately when I learn something new I forget something old, or at least I think :(

jclary
10-22-2016, 10:15 PM
Just this afternoon, I received word that a classmate just went into a nursing home with dementia. He is not expected to leave. Dementia/Alzheimer's is really hard on the people around the patient (family & friends), not the patient. This is something that we really need a prevention and/or cure for.

My father-in-law, succumbed to Alzheimer's. It was an agonizing long decent into mental confusion and intellectual vacancy. A great person, a former Navy Corpsman, Policeman, and Fireman. A good self taught mechanic, best fishing buddy, and just an all around great guy. More than once, during his Alzheimer's, after visiting him and realizing how sad, frustrating, and devastating this disease had been to his body and mind, I couldn't help but sit in my car and bawl like a baby, before I could drive away.

My wife, his only daughter and a nurse, spent endless hours, lovingly caring for him. Once, an acquaintance made this statement to her..."Why do you spend so much time caring for him? He doesn't know who you are!" Through her tears, she snapped back..."I know who he is!" This incident happened at a skilled care nursing home. When it occurred, not only did the person who had made the insensitive remark begin to weep, but attending staff that witnessed it as well.

Currently, my mom (95) is in that same facility. She has, for her age, a sharp mind. It is her aging body that limits her abilities. But, my wife is well known, and respected there, due to her experience with her father. Not only did she demonstrate what love and compassion should be in caring for her father, but provided the example, and prepared me, for this time to pay it forward with my mother.

I know, subjects like this are often treated with lighthearted humor, (Like my "Elder alarm" thread), but it is our duty, as we get older, to give our children and grandchildren, a glimpse of their future. A responsibility, not to be taken lightly.

Mikado282
10-22-2016, 10:55 PM
I have watched the devastating effects of Alzheimer's & dementia for most of my life starting with my paternal grandmother when I was 6 years old. Then it was one great aunt, then another one. My maternal Grandmother was so deathly afraid of it that she declined treatment for a treatable physical disease and passed away in he late 80's. A couple of friends of mines parents also had Alzheimer's and it was not good what they had to go through. Next was my wife's grandmother. Then it was my stepfather and presently it is my wife's mother. We had her to watch for three weeks in late Sept and early Oct and I told my 30 year old daughter who lives with us "if I ever begin to get like that just take me out in woods and leave me". I have said for years that I don't want to live like that and have made my wishes clear for the last 30-40 years. I feel for the families because I know very well what they are going through.

daytonadave
10-23-2016, 12:26 AM
I've been experiencing memory loss for about 10 yrs. Several years ago I watched PBS TV and a Doctor said our Brains are about 60-70% Fat. Increasing Good Fat to my diet helped. I take 1-2 teaspoons of Raw unfiltered cold pressed Coconut Oil everyday. it has helped. My Eye sight has improved, too. I have been wearing eye glasses for 40 yrs. This year I passed my driving Eye exam without glasses. And I can see this 10" computer screen without glasses. I try to write down a person's name to jog my memory. I use Coconut Oil for cooking, too. Try a jar.

http://www.drperlmutter.com/news/brainchange-david-perlmutter/

rkapteyn
10-24-2016, 06:25 AM
We should all support the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alzheimer%27s_Association.
One thing noted in other sources is that Alzheimer
does not effect many people in India because of their use of curry.
Robert Kapteyn

sals54
10-24-2016, 10:31 AM
Is this what its come to??? Whats next, a continuing thread on the pain of bunions? Or how many times you've fallen and can't get up? (but thankfully you had your Life Alert Button around your neck). Jeez Louise fellas... can we focus on some commonality here?
If there has to be whining about the pain and anguish of aging, at least keep it related to our main topic here. Like... how many times you've driven your Studebaker for several hours with your left blinker on.

BILT4ME
10-24-2016, 12:43 PM
Is this what its come to??? Whats next, a continuing thread on the pain of bunions? Or how many times you've fallen and can't get up? (but thankfully you had your Life Alert Button around your neck). Jeez Louise fellas... can we focus on some commonality here?
If there has to be whining about the pain and anguish of aging, at least keep it related to our main topic here. Like... how many times you've driven your Studebaker for several hours with your left blinker on.

That's what we ARE talking about. It's the short term memory that's going.

Did I leave my blinker on?

Yes......No......Yes......No......Yes.......No........Yes.......No........

Did I leave my blinker on?

Yes......No......Yes......No......Yes.......No........Yes.......No........

Where was I going?

Oh yeah, It's IDYSD again! I recall that I only paid $285 for a whole car in 1969 to use as a parts car. It was blue, with tan interior. The Tires were Firestone F78-15 with 9/32" tread left on the right front tire.

sals54
10-24-2016, 05:31 PM
Well, perhaps you're right. I guess this is the ultimate demise of Studebaker owners in general and the downward spiral of this forum specifically.
If that's the case, count me out. I'm too busy looking forward to the next build, or forward to the next change, or forward to the next anything in the future to be so consumed with the past in that regard. Good luck with it all... if you can even remember where your keys are.

Warren Webb
10-24-2016, 08:36 PM
I spoke with Dean a little while ago. He's fine but his wife had back surgery. 2 weeks after the surgery the car she was riding in was involved in an accident. Another driver ran a stop sign & took out the front end but her recovery was set back & is even slower & more painful now.

Roscomacaw
10-24-2016, 08:58 PM
Can someone help me here? I'm not sure, but I have a bit of an inkling that there was a time, long distant, that I used to hang out here. But I'm not sure. I'm asking because I realized just this morning that I have a bunch of Studebakers and parts of Studebakers. That realization provoked me to Google the marque and see if I'd ever had anything to do with it - given the parts and cars I have layin' about. Anyone wanna help out?

StudeRich
10-24-2016, 09:05 PM
Can someone help me here? I'm not sure, but I have a bit of an inkling that there was a time, long distant, that I used to hang out here. But I'm not sure. I'm asking because I realized just this morning that I have a bunch of Studebakers and parts of Studebakers. That realization provoked me to Google the marque and see if I'd ever had anything to do with it - given the parts and cars I have layin' about. Anyone wanna help out?

LOL!
Yes Bob, you used to be here and you were NOT kicked out! :D Also, your Name is Bob Kabchef! :lol:

You and ANY knowledge you MAY happen to remember, also are very Welcome here. :)

As Warren was already told, it beats the heck out of the alternative!

Skip Lackie
10-25-2016, 08:12 AM
Welcome back Bob.

redbox
10-25-2016, 09:30 AM
I notice that it takes twice as long to work on the cars because I can never find where I just placed that tool.

studegary
10-25-2016, 02:08 PM

Yes Bob, you not only used to be on this SDC Forum, but also the old newsgroup. We have about an equal number of posts here.

You know that I was recently thinking about you when I forwarded a car and Visalia related article to you.

EDIT: 26 difference in our current post totals (0.1%)

RadioRoy
10-25-2016, 09:03 PM
Did you ever wake up with a "new" pain and wonder... will this eventually go away, or is it a new tune that will be added to the symphony/cacophony that is my body?

rkapteyn
10-26-2016, 09:17 AM
Yes Bob.
The last time I visited you in Visalia , you were thinking about moving back east where you grew up (Michigan?).
That was 20 years ago and you were collecting body tags from Studebakers that were scrapped and you had a wall full of them.
Good to hear from you.
Robert Kapteyn

Warren Webb
10-26-2016, 11:57 PM
I must have met Bob once in the 80's. I was at Pick-A-Part in Wilmington when I met a gentleman a few years older than I, taking the body tags off the few Studebakers there in the yard. I remember talking briefly with him sharing the love of the car, then going our separate ways but never forgot that day.