50 Starlight Coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 50 Starlight Coupe

i don't have a shop manual for this car. I am having difficulty getting the lock assembly apart so I can remove it tho have the latch assembly re-chromed. The rectangular pin is loose, but I have not been able to remove it so I can get the lock nut of. I am sure this is a simple task, but it has bested me thus far. Can some one help? Thanks

I assume you mean the trunk lock assembly, right?

I'm in the same boat for my 1950 Tudor. I even bought a spare latch assembly for $5, just to practice on. I wonder if someone knows what I'm missing. I have an NOS movable handle to install, but can't quite remove the old one.

Comment

I assume what you both need is the Shop Manual. But to help you here some clarification will be required.
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

To get the lock cylinders out, you must have the key. Insert the key, turn it all the way one way, and stick a paper clip into the hole beside the lock. This is not a very good verbal description, but it's simpler than it sounds.

The key to the puzzle is to have the key to the lock. Can't do it without the key.
        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
        4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
        5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

A paper clip may not be strong enough.
          What you are trying to do is to press on the clip that holds the lock cylinder in.
          The clip will only push down when the key is in the unlocked position.
          Pull on the key and push the clip down and the cylinder comes out.
          I use a small punch that will fit the small , hard to see hole.

Robert Kapteyn

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
            To get the lock cylinders out, you must have the key. Insert the key, turn it all the way one way, and stick a paper clip into the hole beside the lock. This is not a very good verbal description, but it's simpler than it sounds.

The key to the puzzle is to have the key to the lock. Can't do it without the key.
            Does the key need to be in the lock, or do you just need to turn the lock to one side, then remove the key? Thanks, Tom

Comment

It has been years since I last did this, but I used a small nail to push in the pin.
              "In the heart of Arkansas."
              Searcy, Arkansas
              1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
              1952 2R pickup

Comment

Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
                Does the key need to be in the lock, or do you just need to turn the lock to one side, then remove the key? Thanks, Tom
                The key needs to be in the lock. That retracts the cylinders and the inserted pin allows you to turn the key past the stop and pull the cylinder out. There should be something in the shop manual about it.
                RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Thanks for your reply. I did notice the little hole today and thought that had something to do with it. Now, if I have the key, I think I've got the combination. You are wright, I do need a shop manual and will order one today. My restoration is not totally stock and I thought I could figure out the small things, but obviously I can't. Again, I appreciate your response and help.

Comment

Thanks for your response. One thing I have found over the years is that Studebaker owners are always there to help. Again thanks to you and all who responded

Comment

good information there

Comment

Working...
                      X