Question about danger doughnut for 63 lark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheels / Tires: Question about danger doughnut for 63 lark

So, I'm assuming that this is an easy question but, I have recently inherited a mostly original 63 lark 6 cylinder. Currently the "Spare" is a huge tire on a hideous aluminum rim. I don't know for sure that this tire and wheel even fit the car but they take up the majority of the trunk and they need to go.

The car is currently "Visiting the Grandparents" so I can't go measure the bolt pattern and I'm going to the pick and pull junk yard this weekend. Can anybody tell me which cars have a compatible bolt for my lark. I want to find a danger doughnut that will take up less of the trunk.

Thanks

The bolt patter is a Ford pattern. 5 on 4-1/2. Almost any Ford passenger cars of the 60s 70s and 80s which are rear wheel drive should work.
    Do a quick search on google for bolt pattern comparisons, but be careful to stay away from any front wheel drive models. The offset will cause interference.
    sals54

Comment

Wow.. . . That was fast. Thanks.

Comment

Early Mopars and AMC's are the same also.

Ted

Comment

Just keep in mind that the Wheels on the Car if original, are only 4 1/2 Inches Wide X 15 Inches for Todays Sizes P205X75R15 Tires. The Original Tires were 600 or 6.50X15.

If you had either of these, it would fit in the Trunk with ease.
          Last edited by StudeRich; 10-19-2016, 02:23 PM. Reason: Corrected Typo in Maroon
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Are you really wanting a small spare, which is limited to 50MPH and 50 mile distance?
            I wish I could fit a full size tire into my 99 Olds wheel well, but the company made it only big enough for the mini spare.

Comment

As pointed out, while there are several models with the same bolt pattern, you should be aware that the ford wheels require a larger nut to fit correctly. If you get a ford wheel just get some larger nuts to keep with it.
              Rob

Comment

And while you are at it join the local chapter of Studebaker's of Arkansas and welcome to the forum! Luck ,Doofus

Comment

studebaker champ tire size

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                  Just keep in mind that the Wheels on the Car if original, are only 4 1/2 Inches Wide X 15 Inches for Todays Sizes P205X75R15 Tires. The Original Tires were 700 or 7.50X15.

If you had either of these, it would fit in the Trunk with ease.
                  excuse me StudeRich but I never heard of a lark with 700 or 750x15 tires . My 63 standard came with 600x15 and the shop manual specs call for 600-650 or670x15 depending on the model.

Comment

Don't discount the Jeep Cherokee spare from the 90's. And I concur with Ted re: the earlier AMC and Mopar-good choices. (For my Avanti I found an early inflatable compact spare (new) from an early 70's Mustang but you do require the inflation canister). After all, how many times do you really think you are going to need it? The main reason for a spare in this day and age is simply to get you to a service center to get the failed unit repaired or replaced. Very few spares are ever included in rotations since the advent of radials which usually just receive a front to rear and vice versa rotation. Many years ago there was a road test in Autoweek (I believe) testing a small space saver spare on a Corvette and although it looked ridiculous, there was very little downside to it's driving traits on a road course. I think they are a good choice over the full size unit.
                    Bill (40+ years a Tire Guy)

Comment

The Pick Your Part here in So. Calif. has a "Monday Madness" sale where you get a steel wheel AND tire for $7. There have been times where I have seen a set of four even with decent radial tires, though admittedly it is rare. The mentioned RWD AMC, Ford, Mopar cars have wider rims and if you eventually go to radial tires it will be to your advantage. That way you will have four Studebaker spares.

That all said, even in the supposed rust free mecca of So. Calif. where older cars stay around longer AMC's are virtual non-existent, RWD Mopars are few - if any, and the Fords are mostly Crown Vic 16" wheels (which might be too wide for general tire widths). Just for reference I'll include a comparison photo for you. The tires are typical 225-60-16" found on the Crown Vics. Really too large, but until I wear them out... .
                      Attached Files
                      '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

If your looking for a temp spare, watch the offset. Others that will fit are some Nissans and Hondas. I have one for a '60 Lark wagon. I think it's a 155/90D16.

Comment

Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
                          Are you really wanting a small spare, which is limited to 50MPH and 50 mile distance?
                          I wish I could fit a full size tire into my 99 Olds wheel well, but the company made it only big enough for the mini spare.
                          at this point it's fine. Truth be told I would be reluctant to run her over fifty right now anyway. And, I won't be going more than fifty miles from home any time soon. I will try to find one that matches the diameter of the tires so there's no issue with the differential. The current spare takes up so much room there's literally no room for anything else. Gotta make room for the milk crate of spare parts and oil back there.

Comment

Obviously I am new here and I am amazed at the level of response here. I am sure that I will soon have more involved questions. It's nice to know there is such a deep well of knowledge to pull from.

Comment

If you get a ford wheel just get some larger nuts to keep with it.

It's not the size of the lug nut, but the angle/taper on the wheel end. Studebaker used a steeper angle, will only tighten on the inner portion of the hole in the Ford wheel. Get Ford lug nuts, same thread, just different taper.

Comment

Working...
                              X