Dash Panel Heat/Defroster Control Removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool/Heat: Dash Panel Heat/Defroster Control Removal

Trying to do some repairs to heat/defrost control on a '61 Lark. I removed the bezel nut and try to push the control back through the dash but it won't budge. It's in an awkward spot
    and I am not very flexible anymore was wondering if any one could tell me what else is holding it in place.
    Thanks

The control is probably being held at a slight angle by the cables on the back.this will cause it to bind in dash,so reach around under and wiggle cable controls and pull.Luck Doofus

Comment

What doofus said, there are TWO Cables attached, which will make it very stiff to move, one for the Hot Water Valve (Temp. Control) and the other to change from Defrost to Floor Heat.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Graylark while you are at it, lube those cables up real good for a life time of dependable operation, once they gum up and kink the end loop they are pretty useless. Luck Doofus

Comment

Originally posted by doofus View Post
          Graylark while you are at it, lube those cables up real good for a life time of dependable operation, once they gum up and kink the end loop they are pretty useless. Luck Doofus
          I agree, and I like to squirt or brush on a light oil, like ATF over the length of my cables. The ATF can more easily soak through the coils on the cable. A small plumber's pipe brush works to brush on the oil.

Comment

for safety... disconnect the battery...

Comment

You were all correct. The control was being held in by the cables, it was way harder than I would have guessed it would be. I had to twist it, wiggle it, and pull on it real hard just to get it out a couple of threads
              at a time to get it free from the dash. It was hard to get it back in also. All is good now, thanks for the advice.

Comment

Working...
              X