PDA

View Full Version : headlining removal

mdelapp
10-04-2006, 04:14 PM
I have a sympathetic vibration above the headlining that occurs about 30 mph in a 53 commander hardtop. The seller of the car indicated that the installer of the headlining did not secure all struts or bows. Now that I want to solve this problem I am wondering if I must remove the rear glass or front glass to remove and replace a portion of the headling to get at the noise. It is towards the rear over the left side passenger seat. I am starting to get things working right so getting picky about noises.
Thanks
Mike DeLapp
1953 Commander hardtop

Mike DeLapp
Barrington, IL
53 Commander Hardtop

Roscomacaw
10-05-2006, 09:48 PM
Mike, there's really nothing to "secure". Those bows just slip into holes along the inner structure where the roof panel meets the pillars. No screws, bolts, clips or anything like that.
If the rear window was out when the headliner was installed, you'll have to take it out to save the edge of the headliner. Of course, you could cut the headliner somewhat back from the inner edge of the rear window gasket, but it's tough to glue it back when you're done and make it look nice.;)

Miscreant adrift in
the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe

mdelapp
10-06-2006, 09:06 AM
Thanks for the tip. I may try to more accurately determine where the vibration is and see if there may be another approach rather than remvoval of the window, etc. I will con someone into riding in the rear seat and applying pressure at different points to see if I can isolate it.
thanks again

Mike

Mike DeLapp
Barrington, IL
53 Commander Hardtop

rockne10
10-06-2006, 10:53 PM
I've never had a hardtop, so speak with no experience. My 53 Coupe bows are screwed in on both sides. In either case, I imagine peeling the headliner back to secure something and reattaching it without stretching and deforming will require phenomonal patience.

I wonder if the previous installer left some of the old sound deadening material attached to the roof. If that stuff is loose it could be the source of the problem.[V]

Brad Johnson
Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
33 Rockne 10
51 Commander Starlight
53 Commander Starlight
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g233/rockne10/51x2.jpg
previously: 63 Cruiser, 62 Regal VI, 60 VI convertible, 50 LandCruiser

Jeff_H
10-07-2006, 10:06 AM
On my '53 champion hardtop the bows are attached with screws. However, there are what I call "claw strips" that the headliner is tucked behind along the edges on the sides. They are sheet metal strips with teeth. Those are mostly held on with some little "twist lock" thingies that are supposed to hold them to the roof. I think the idea was so the strips would be sorta springy relative to the roof for getting the headliner material stuffed in there. They break trying to remove them when I took the car apart. I got more out of parts cars but in the end had to drill and add a few screws to hold those strips in place. Could be some of them are loose and rattling?

Jeff in ND

'53 Champion Hardtop