Carburetor on 1962 Hawk GT 289 v8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: Carburetor on 1962 Hawk GT 289 v8

I just pulled the carburetor off of my newly acquired Hawk GT. It is a Bendix Stromberg WW 2bbl stamped 6-130. Is this the correct carb for this vehicle? Is there another newer carburetor that folks have been converting to or should I just rebuild this one ?
    Mike Kelly
    Regional Manager
    Texas
    1963 Lark Cruiser
    1962 GT Hawk
    1965 Commander 2dr v8 auto

I don't have my books to confirm the number, but it sounds right for that vintage. The Strombergs are simple to rebuild and are reliable.
    Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Sounds right, same combo I had on my 63 way back when. Simple rebuild (inlet needle usually most common failure area)

Comment

Pay special attention to where the throttle shaft passes horizontally through the carb body. Strombergs are prone to wear in this area and if worn will never idle smoothly. Fortunately installing bushings is not prohibitively expensive.

jack vines
        PackardV8

Comment

Technically, Mike; 6-130 is for 1963 models. 1962 models would have a 6-127 without Positive Crankcase Ventilation, or 6-128 with PCV. The difference is probably in the carb body Jack Vines referenced above; whether or not there is provision for Positive Crankcase Ventilation.

That said, a 6-130 should work just fine on your '62 if rebuilt correctly; they are good carbs. What Jack said about the throttle body, however; the shaft bushings are prone to wear and the car will never idle right if the shaft is sloppy where it goes through the carb throttle body. BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Thanks all, that's some good information. If needed where can I find these throttle shaft bushings? Are they included in the rebuild kit?
            Mike Kelly
            Regional Manager
            Texas
            1963 Lark Cruiser
            1962 GT Hawk
            1965 Commander 2dr v8 auto

Comment

Originally posted by Mrkelly View Post
              Thanks all, that's some good information. If needed where can I find these throttle shaft bushings? Are they included in the rebuild kit?
              No, they won't be in a rebuild kit. Dave Thibeault will have them. He advertises in every issue of Turning Wheels.

If the shaft is sloppy, it would be good advice to simply have Dave rebuild the carb, since he has the know-how and machine shop to ream the throttle body to the proper dimension for the new bushings, and press them in. BP
              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Working...
              X