Small Flock of Studebaker Engines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small Flock of Studebaker Engines

I am still waiting for more information on these engines from the owner. I went to his place last weekend to look at them and get photographs. We had some trouble finding the serial numbers and that is what I am waiting for. In the interest of helping the owner find a new home for these I am going ahead and posting the photos for all of you to peruse. The owner told me he thought about asking $100 each for these. Since the condition of them is not known I think he might be willing to let them go for much less or for free. There are 2 V8s, 1 OHV 6, and 2 flat head 6s. If you want more information or to contact the owner directly you can send me a PM and I will get you connected. I know one of the V8s turns. The other appears to have the lifter rods sitting under the valley cover for some reason. Also, there are 3 speed OD transmissions connected to 2 of the six cylinder engines. These are located in Newberg, Oregon.
    Here goes. I may have to do this in 2 entries.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3383.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	116.9 KB
ID:	1751927Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3384.jpg
Size:	136.2 KB
ID:	1751928Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3385.jpg
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	1751929Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3386.jpg
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	1751930Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3387.jpg
Size:	111.6 KB
ID:	1751931Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3388.jpg
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	1751932Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3389.jpg
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	1751933Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3390.jpg
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	1751934Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3391.jpg
Size:	132.8 KB
ID:	1751935Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3392.jpg
Size:	126.7 KB
ID:	1751936
    Last edited by Commander Eddie; 10-16-2016, 01:57 PM.
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Here are more photos:

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3393.jpg
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	1709507Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3394.jpg
Size:	122.7 KB
ID:	1709508Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3395.jpg
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	1709509Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3396.jpg
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	1709510Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3397.jpg
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	1709511Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3398.jpg
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	1709512Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3399.jpg
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	1709513Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3400.jpg
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	1709514Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3402.jpg
Size:	136.4 KB
ID:	1709515Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3403.jpg
Size:	128.1 KB
ID:	1709516
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

The 535601 Casting Number V8, (No Serial Numbers are present) with Red Valve Covers is very likely a partial flow 1961 probably a 259.

The 1554641 Casting Number V8, is a Full Flow Late '62 or '63-'64 without it's Yellow Valve Covers. It could be a 259 or 289 depending on it's Serial Number and or Pistons and Crank.

There are OHV 170 Sixes, Commander Sixes, V-8's etc. It is quite difficult to attach the Casting Numbers and Serial Numbers to the Engine Pics.

4R 42199 is a 1949-1953 2R Series "245" Commander Six Truck Engine.

Someone here was looking for a Crank for I think, a '40 Commander that "Could"? work.
      Last edited by StudeRich; 10-16-2016, 04:42 PM.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

On the V8s, you have pics of the casting numbers on the front, left top of the engine block. Thats fine, but the serial number is what IDs the engine. The serial number is on the front, right top of the block, opposite of the casting number.
        Its a stamped number, not a casting. Should start with a V or a P most likely. V=259 P=289.
        sals54

Comment

Quite a Studebaker engine collector!

Comment

Crusty, crusty, been there done that, and not again.
            Candbstudebakers
            Castro Valley,
            California

Comment

"pig in a poke" ...... maybe $400-500. for the bunch. Too many variables...

Comment

You're more generous than I am Jack. However I am definitely interested in the flathead Six. Where exactly are these located?
                edit:
                Ah, looked it up. Gosh, that's really up there.
                transportation would be an issue. Still interested though... Oh, does that one have a bellhousing and tranny attached?
                yet another edit:
                Ah, I see it does. Yeah, definitely interested in the flathead six.
                Last edited by studeclunker; 10-18-2016, 09:26 PM.
                Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                Ron Smith
                Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Wish it was closer to me because there are some good buys in that pile of engines. The Commander engine complete with tranny, starter and generator would be nice to have.

Also notice under the side of that engine is a Ford Model A engine.

Notice the vent hole in the bellhousing in picture 8. That sure makes a nice entrance for mice to make a home inside, and that happened twice in two months on my 1946 M-5. The Bendix was stuck, so I removed the starter and wire brushed the mouse crap, then oiled the drive. Within two months I had to repeat the process. I need to make a screen for the hole. I really don't know why Studebaker made such a hole, because it seems too small for cooling, and larger than needed for an air vent.

Comment

Originally posted by studeclunker View Post
                    You're more generous than I am Jack. However I am definitely interested in the flathead Six. Where exactly are these located?
                    edit:
                    Ah, looked it up. Gosh, that's really up there.
                    transportation would be an issue. Still interested though... Oh, does that one have a bellhousing and tranny attached?
                    yet another edit:
                    Ah, I see it does. Yeah, definitely interested in the flathead six.
                    Ron, I have heard that Greyhound bus service would be you're cheapest bet for shipping.
                    Check your PMs.
                    Ed
                    Ed Sallia
                    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Greyhound won't ship anything over 100 lbs. You would have to have each block cut into 3 or 4 slices, and each cylinder head broken in two, then reassemble them once you got them to your garage. I imagine it would probably be a little tougher to put them back together that it would be to take them apart. Tho I've heard that JB Weld works pretty good.
                      sals54

Comment

It would be a 9 hour drive for me, but as is per usual... there are 12 different construction zones between Sacramento and Dundee OR. Depending on the time of day to travel, I could estimate an additional 2 hours of drive time and 3 more visits to the looney bin as a result of the knuckleheads that tour along I-5 on the West Coast.
                        sals54

Comment

Very funny, Sal54.
                          Ed Sallia
                          Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Originally posted by sals54 View Post
                            It would be a 9 hour drive for me, but as is per usual... there are 12 different construction zones between Sacramento and Dundee OR. Depending on the time of day to travel, I could estimate an additional 2 hours of drive time and 3 more visits to the looney bin as a result of the knuckleheads that tour along I-5 on the West Coast.
                            Living myself in a tourist and hunter (read that moronic, city-boy, hunter) trap, I can understand exactly where you are coming from. When you don't have one obstructing the road, there is the other shooting livestock (actually anything that moves) and old cars (running or not), trespassing, and obstructing the road. This is the time of the year I stay out of the woods with my horses.

In Fawn Lodge we have a special No Trespassing sign. It reads, "No Trespassing, violaters will be shot and shot again just to make sure! YES WE SHOOT BACK IDIOT!" Surprisingly these people seem to be able to read.

By the by Sal, this is why I just stay over the the right with the trucks and let them go by...
                            Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                            K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                            Ron Smith
                            Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Originally posted by sals54 View Post
                              Originally posted by studeclunker View Post
                              Information about my proposed trip is coming very soon.

I should add-
                              Ron-- a 'side trip' to Dundee is a bit outta the way given my planned route of here to Yakima to Sal's,
                              and then back north on 99/I5 to you and home.

It's manageable, but it'll add miles and time. And fuel.

It's your call.

StudeDave '57
                              StudeDave '57
                              US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                              SDC Member since 1985

past President
                              Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                              San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                              San Diego Chapter SDC
                              North Florida Chapter SDC