on the road again!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• on the road again!

I have gotten my wife's Avanti back on the road again after losing the water pump in Montana. It was a great trip to Kansas City even with the breakdown. It was nice to have the offers of help but in the end we had to haul it the last 400 miles to make her flight to Alaska. It worked out well in the end as I went ahead and did a number of other things. I changed the distributor, check the valve lash, swapped the A/C compressor and removed the big 6 blade fan, the odd coupler, and the small pump pulley to return it to stock. It runs much better with a good distributor, and following the thread on timing I like the way it accelerates and shifts. It is much quieter at speed with the standard fan and clutch. I suspect the life of the pump was shortened running at high speed with a high speed pump pulley on it along with the long years of storage it had been through.

One thing interesting was that I had 3 old Avanti water pumps and they were all different construction. There were 3 different lengths of shafts. One was so short that the impeller had come off that one. The impellers were all different too but they all used the same type of seal.

Thanks again to Studerich for his advise and the new waterpump.
    Rob

Glad you got the Avanti running better and the Cooling system back to stock configuration Rob, and a High Quality, Made in U.S.A. pressure tested, Water Pump never hurts for good reliability.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
    X