Plushest interior?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plushest interior?

I've always doubted the claim Studebaker made, I can't recall where, that 1966 Cruisers had the plushest interior of any Studebaker, ever. It seems to me that the cars of the late thirties and early forties looked far more plush than 1966s. Now I'd like to know what others think of the claim. What year and model would you say has the plushest interior?

Plush is one of those words you only have to repeat a few times before it sounds really strange. Plushest takes even fewer times.
    "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Both my 66's have vinyl interiors but from the pictures I've seen of ones with fabric, they appear to be much nicer. I wonder if they would look as good though as the broadcloth Cruiser interiors that have been posted here of the 63 & 64's. I had those pictures until my hard drive went south.
    59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
    60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
    61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
    62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
    62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
    62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
    63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
    63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
    64 Zip Van
    66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
    66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

The 1963 Cruiser with the broadcloth seat option certainly qualifies: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ght=broadcloth

And yes, some '30's President interiors were also nice: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ant-Studebaker

Craig

Comment

Pretty hard to beat an 'as new' '58 Packard Hawk leather interior, or for that matter, the interior of a '55 President Speedster!

Comment

Certainly my favorite interior was the blue broadcloth on my 1964 black Cruiser company car. Studebaker President Gordon Grundy also had an identical model at the same time, which by the way still thrives in eastern Ontario.

Stu Chapman

Comment

I love the look of the broadcloth, but never experienced it in person.
            "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

The '56 President Classic is quite plush, too! The '66 Cruiser and Daytona are nice with the rich upholstery and the use of woodgrain on the dash and doors.

Comment

The Vinyl used in 1965 and 66 were of the same material as the Avanti. This Naugahyde has lasted even to today.
                Nicest has to be the 1955 President Speedster Leather Interior-even the headliner.

Comment

Originally posted by qsanford View Post
                  The '56 President Classic is quite plush, too! The '66 Cruiser and Daytona are nice with the rich upholstery and the use of woodgrain on the dash and doors.
                  Agree....not only are the '56 President Classic interiors very plush looking, they are very comfortable. You could drive or ride in one all day long, and be ready to still go further.

Comment

Originally posted by Studebakercenteroforegon View Post
                    Agree....not only are the '56 President Classic interiors very plush looking, they are very comfortable. You could drive or ride in one all day long, and be ready to still go further.
                    I agree with you. I have not owned a 1956 President Classic, but I did have a 1957 President Classic that I drove in regular use for a year or more. I liked the looks of the interior and especially the comfort. I haven't ridden "...in one all day long...", but I have driven one for several hours straight. On the other hand, I remember changing the seats in 1966 sedans, for people that used them as everyday cars, to earlier Studebaker seats. We used one of the removed 1966 seats in the office/waiting area of the shop. I never picked that to sit on.
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                    X