Which fuel pump?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: Which fuel pump?

I want to install an electric fuel pump to my 62 GT. Which pump should I order and what do I need to go with it? Thanks.
    I'd rather be driving my Studebaker!

sigpic

SI has a fuel pump "Kit" with everything you will need. i sub screw clamps for the spring clamps but thats just me. Luck Doofus

Comment

Thanks, I just ordered it. Should I wire it to the ignition or a separate switch? If a separate switch where is a good place to put the switch?
      I'd rather be driving my Studebaker!

sigpic

Comment

I mount a switch on a small bracket under the dash close to the steering column.

Comment

I have purchased a couple vane type pumps from Rock Auto. They work fine but need to be primed. Run a wire from IGN to a switch to the pump and ground it. Really easy but like everything else with a Studebaker it takes a while. You can switch on to prime the mechanical pump and carb to start the car then switch off if it starts. When the mechanical pump fails just flip the switch and continue on down the road. A piston pump won't need priming but don't know if it is as reliable?? I hide the switch kinda under the dash where it is not obvious but still easily accessible.

Comment

I'm running a 12 volt Holley rotary vane pump on my 6 volt Studebaker, but it still puts out too much pressure, so I drop the voltage to about 4 1/2 volts with a resistor.
            The nice thing about using an electric pump is that you can turn it off by using a separate switch before turning off the engine, so you can run the carb low or dry to avoid the problems of today's gas that boils so easily and floods the intake.

Comment

Working...
            X