PDA

View Full Version : Need set of Firestone 6.70x15 tires

nels
10-10-2016, 09:54 PM
Looking for a set of reproduction or original Firestones for a 64 Daytona. White wall preferred but black wall considered.

BobPalma
10-11-2016, 03:51 AM
:) Coker has them, Nels. Their #568805; $181.00 each. 1" whitewall width; just right. :cool: BP

nels
10-11-2016, 04:53 AM
Well, now I know the white wall I need. I just don't want to spend that kind of money on tires that will just sit in the garage and occasionally go to a car show. I was hoping someone on here might have a set they no longer use.

jclary
10-11-2016, 07:19 AM
Well, now I know the white wall I need. I just don't want to spend that kind of money on tires that will just sit in the garage and occasionally go to a car show. I was hoping someone on here might have a set they no longer use.

Not intending to embarrass you, but CASO status can only take you so far.;):o There are some things in life that need the "Best.":) A few examples...Food, you should eat well. Bed, you should sleep well. Toothbrush, 'nuff said.:yeahright:

A week ago, for the first time in at least three years, I dusted off the Coupe and participated in a local charity car show. The Coker tires are well beyond the (five year) recommended "tire life." But, they sure set the car apart from many of the "cheap risky rollers" sharing the parking lot.:p

For your prized car, there are many things you can use your "CASO" talents on, in order to use the money saved, to buy the things that should not be compromised in quality.:!:

On my coupe, I saved money by doing the welding, patching, mechanics, body work, painting, etc. For things I wouldn't risk myself, I bartered for upholstery, and the use of a spray-booth for the painting. Some of the money saved enabled me to go first class on the tires on the coupe (Coker Firestones), and a top quality Steering Wheel from Schrock for my '51 Land Cruiser.:cheers:

10-11-2016, 07:42 AM
Looking for a set of reproduction or original Firestones for a 64 Daytona. White wall preferred but black wall considered.
I may still have some NOS blackwalls (one of my less than smart investments 40 years ago). Keep in mind that any NOS 6.70 will be more than 50 years old. I have been hauling the tires 20 at a time (limit) to the occasional free tire recycling days here for several years. This coming Saturday is one of those days and I have 38 tires left. I'll check them later today and let you know if you are interested. Price $0.00 each.

8E45E
10-11-2016, 07:50 AM
For your prized car, there are many things you can use your "CASO" talents on, in order to use the money saved, to buy the things that should not be compromised in quality.

I almost side with you on this one.

Having seen in person the high level of quality of restoration of Nel's cars, they justify the 'best' of products out there, including the tires. But then, its not my place to make recommendations for someone else.

Craig

SN-60
10-11-2016, 08:04 AM

I understand what you mean. I've been procrastinating buying a set of wide whitewall RADIALS for my '55 Speedster (The Doctor's Car), but since the tires I'm looking for are approaching $250.00 each, plus shipping, and the car basically sits in a garage most of the time, that expense kind of rubs me the wrong way too! :eek:

You mentioned blackwalls,...would a set of BF Goodrich 7.10-15's (still have nubs) work for you?

clonelark
10-11-2016, 08:18 AM
I bought a set of 4 Coker radial wide whites off of e-bay for $836 and free shipping, bought 2 at a time, couldn't afford to buy them all at once. 2 3/4 whitewalls for my 55 Conestoga.

jclary
10-11-2016, 08:23 AM
I almost side with you on this one.

Having seen in person the high level of quality of restoration of Nel's cars, they justify the 'best' of products out there, including the tires. But then, its not my place to make recommendations for someone else.

Craig

I will add, I am certainly no high minded innocent in such things.:(
Making "recommendations" for others is the easy part.:rolleyes: Living up to my professed standards requires a moment of confession.:oops:
I fall short more than I want to admit.:QQ:

For example, I did not purchase a brand new set of wide whites for my Land Cruiser.:ohmy: When my friend decided to replace the great looking Coker tires on his newly purchased '56 Ford Crown Vic with radials, like any opportunistic predator, I pounced on the opportunity to seize them.;)

Silverplate
10-11-2016, 08:25 AM
I just bought a set from Coker for my Avanti about three weeks ago. I found them to be outstanding so far. They balanced perfectly with very little weights needed, the car now looks correct and speedometer now works correctly having had a radial tire on it when I got the car of a different diameter. I am also an Alliance HAMB forum member which saved 80 bucks from Coker.

One of cool thing about these tires, they are still made by a Firestone employee using original molds. The employees name who made them is on the tire tag applied to tire tread when they arrive.

SN-60
10-11-2016, 08:31 AM
'Diamond Back' wide-white radials seem to be the way to go....Some of the other brands suffer from 'thin' white-wall depth, that eventually 'rubs through' and leaves black showing through the white sidewall! :eek:

nels
10-11-2016, 01:31 PM
[QUOTE=jclary;1017394]Not intending to embarrass you, but CASO status can only take you so far.;):o There are some things in life that need the "Best.":) A few examples...Food, you should eat well. Bed, you should sleep well. Toothbrush, 'nuff said.:yeahright:

A week ago, for the first time in at least three years, I dusted off the Coupe and participated in a local charity car show. The Coker tires are well beyond the (five year) recommended "tire life." But, they sure set the car apart from many of the "cheap risky rollers" sharing the parking lot.:p

For your prized car, there are many things you can use your "CASO" talents on, in order to use the money saved, to buy the things that should not be compromised in quality.:!:

On my coupe, I saved money by doing the welding, patching, mechanics, body work, painting, etc. For things I wouldn't risk myself, I bartered for upholstery, and the use of a spray-booth for the painting. Some of the money saved enabled me to go first class on the tires on the coupe (Coker Firestones), and a top quality Steering Wheel from Schrock for my '51 Land Cruiser.:cheers:

John, you didn't embarrass me, I just don't embarrass that easily. The reproduction Firestone tires I need are not even reproduced as the car came with Firestone "500" white walls. Im really not a fan of bias ply tires and if I end up with a set they will probably end up on the car for an important show but radials will be back on it the bulk of its driven career. If 6.70x15 Firestone "500" tires were actually available it would make the expenditure way more palatable.

nels
10-11-2016, 01:33 PM
Let me know Paul, thanks.

10-11-2016, 04:52 PM
I forgot to take a good light with me today and I didn't want to move them all outside where I could see them better (the tires are in the basement of a bank barn). I'm kind of afraid that I don't have a matched set and those that are appear to be larger like 7.60x15s, but I'll get back to you tomorrow or the next day.

alaipairod
10-11-2016, 09:26 PM
Not intending to embarrass you, but CASO status can only take you so far.;):o There are some things in life that need the "Best.":) A few examples...Food, you should eat well. Bed, you should sleep well. Toothbrush, 'nuff said.:yeahright:

How true.......All the years that we have been showing our Studebakers, the 3 things that are brought up first are....Tires, paint and the interior..........CASOs take note......

SN-60
10-12-2016, 08:11 AM
I'll bet Nels wishes he never posted this thread! :( :whome:

nels
10-12-2016, 08:58 AM
I'll bet Nels wishes he never posted this thread! :( :whome:

No, actually I would and will continue to do what I deme best for my pocket and collection. Actually I have a set of the original Bonneville Salt Flat Allstate tires that were actually used on the car at Bonneville. I may attempt to mount them. As far as what most people would consider unsafe, these would be them. I really don't buy into the five year rule on tires. It's a great marketing tactic and I would promote it if I owned a tire store but I don't so ten year old tires that rarely see the light of day are just fine for me.

bezhawk
10-12-2016, 09:17 AM
I agree with Nels. The safety factor on old tires is for steel belted radials, not bias ply. The tread separation is from the belting.

studejohn
10-12-2016, 09:19 AM
I'm not sure what everybody else is reading into this thread .But what Nelson is looking for I believe is for is just some vintage 60s type tires for his show cars. Not to drive down the highway or city streets . Just to go from a storage facility onto a trailer to the car show and around the block. And as far as a 50-year-old bias ply tire I would trust driving on them over a five-year-old radial tire made these days. Thanks John

jclary
10-12-2016, 10:54 AM
No, actually I would and will continue to do what I deme best for my pocket and collection. Actually I have a set of the original Bonneville Salt Flat Allstate tires that were actually used on the car at Bonneville. I may attempt to mount them. As far as what most people would consider unsafe, these would be them. I really don't buy into the five year rule on tires. It's a great marketing tactic and I would promote it if I owned a tire store but I don't so ten year old tires that rarely see the light of day are just fine for me.

That comment made me smile.:) I don't know if they still do, but I recall the standard "directions" on shampoo bottles for years..."Place a generous amount in hand, apply to hair, lather, and rinse.:)...REPEAT!":rolleyes::lol:

10-13-2016, 12:22 PM
Unfortunately I fond only a couple 6.70s and they weren't Firestone. I did find bunch of mismatched 6.50s, 7.10s and larger ones. I will save one 7.75x15 Firestone whitewall in case someone would like an authentic '65 or '66 trunk-only spare.
My '64 Avanti came with Firestone 500 whitewalls and I believe the one in the tire compartment was a member of those five. It was obviously a member of the tire rotation plan because it shows wear.

nels
10-13-2016, 05:47 PM
Unfortunately I fond only a couple 6.70s and they weren't Firestone. I did find bunch of mismatched 6.50s, 7.10s and larger ones. I will save one 7.75x15 Firestone whitewall in case someone would like an authentic '65 or '66 trunk-only spare.
My '64 Avanti came with Firestone 500 whitewalls and I believe the one in the tire compartment was a member of those five. It was obviously a member of the tire rotation plan because it shows wear.

Thanks for the try.

BobPalma
10-13-2016, 06:02 PM
No, actually I would and will continue to do what I deem best for my pocket and collection. I have a set of the original Bonneville Salt Flat Allstate tires that were actually used on the car at Bonneville. I may attempt to mount them. As far as what most people would consider unsafe, these would be them. I really don't buy into the five year rule on tires. It's a great marketing tactic and I would promote it if I owned a tire store but I don't so ten year old tires that rarely see the light of day are just fine for me.

:!: Ageed, Nels (and Brad Bez that followed). I'd add that I bet the tire company lawyers drive this five-year nonsense as much as the marketing people. If they drill this five-year rule long and hard enough, the company can legally exempt itself from any tire over five years old that fails, regardless of condition, storage, usage, etc., etc.

The new Universal Tire 7.60X15 bias-ply tires I installed on my 1956 Packard Clipper in 1993 are doing just fine. They look and drive well at speed and have never shown signs of flat-spotting after extended storage. The bias-ply Goodyear Wide Tread polyglas tires on my 1971 Barracuda convertible are at least 40 years old, yet I have driven the car at speed with no signs of thumping or anything after they've had a couple miles to get round again at each first-of-spring outling. (Come to think of it, none of my eight collector cars have tires less than 20 years old on them...I bought a new set of radials for my 1972 Buick LeSabre Custom convertible when I bought it in 1996 and that's the last time I bought new tires for anything!)

Of course, these cars are stored indoors and the sunlight never hits the tires unless the cars are outside in pleasant weather....and I pump them up to at least 36 psi for winter storage. Like all things in the collector-car world, one must be diligent and observant in both storage and inspection...and while driving the cars so equipped. :cool: BP

GrumpyOne
10-13-2016, 08:26 PM
:!: Ageed, Nels (and Brad Bez that followed). I'd add that I bet the tire company lawyers drive this five-year nonsense as much as the marketing people. If they drill this five-year rule long and hard enough, the company can legally exempt itself from any tire over five years old that fails, regardless of condition, storage, usage, etc., etc.

The new Universal Tire 7.60X15 bias-ply tires I installed on my 1956 Packard Clipper in 1993 are doing just fine. They look and drive well at speed and have never shown signs of flat-spotting after extended storage. The bias-ply Goodyear Wide Tread polyglas tires on my 1971 Barracuda convertible are at least 40 years old, yet I have driven the car at speed with no signs of thumping or anything after they've had a couple miles to get round again at each first-of-spring outling. (Come to think of it, none of my eight collector cars have tires less than 20 years old on them...I bought a new set of radials for my 1972 Buick LeSabre Custom convertible when I bought it in 1996 and that's the last time I bought new tires for anything!)

Of course, these cars are stored indoors and the sunlight never hits the tires unless the cars are outside in pleasant weather....and I pump them up to at least 36 psi for winter storage. Like all things in the collector-car world, one must be diligent and observant in both storage and inspection...and while driving the cars so equipped. :cool: BP

I've found that during the last half dozen years that new radial tires just don't match the longevity of radials in years past. Thread separation is the main culprit especially on the the cheaper Chinese products.

I also remember years ago when I bought five brand new Cooper radials for the Avanti back in 1975 and by 1980 all had to be replaced due to thread separation. Another recollection was when I served as a co-driver for a guy and his family traveling to the west coast from Connecticut in 1961 and the brand new Uniroyal tires all suffered thread separation before arriving in California... Again thread separation was the culprit and these were biased ply tires.

So I suppose that it might be stated that your mileage may vary!

alaipairod
10-13-2016, 08:39 PM

....Bob nailed it, any good quality tire will last, until worn out, as long as it is properly maintained and stored indoors, especially during the wet seasons. I've had no problems with my Firestone 7.60X15 bias-ply tires on my '50 Starlight Coupe that were put on 20 years ago........

clonelark
10-15-2016, 05:06 AM
I bought a 76 Cadillac at an auction in the mid 90s, it still had the original spare in the trunk that had never been run.
Thought i'd put it on my trailer. i was going to a Stude meet in Denton Tx and hauling my 54 Land Cruiser to Johnnie Wiffer for trade on 2 GT Hawks. as i got south of Dallas close to Hillsboro, that tire exploded and hardly anything was left of the tire. Scared the heck out of an 18 wheeler next to me as it sounded like a bomb going off. I did have a spare, but when i got to Denton i went to a tire shop and bought 4 new tires for my trailer.

BobPalma
10-15-2016, 07:07 AM
I bought a 76 Cadillac at an auction in the mid 90s, it still had the original spare in the trunk that had never been run.
Thought i'd put it on my trailer. i was going to a Stude meet in Denton Tx and hauling my 54 Land Cruiser to Johnnie Wiffer for trade on 2 GT Hawks. as i got south of Dallas close to Hillsboro, that tire exploded and hardly anything was left of the tire. Scared the heck out of an 18 wheeler next to me as it sounded like a bomb going off. I did have a spare, but when i got to Denton i went to a tire shop and bought 4 new tires for my trailer.

:woot: :eek: Right, Bob: If that was the OEM steel-belted radial tire spare in a 1976 Cadillac, it was a time bomb as soon as it was ten years old, probably less, due to the poor bonding early steel radial belts had to the rubber around them. That was a primary problem with the Ford Explorer / Firestone SUV radial disaster in the 1990s, too.

Steel-belted radial tires manufactured during the 1970s are not to be trusted no matter what....but you can be sure brand-new ones bring top dollar from the Corvette crowd who want period-correct manufacturer date codes for show cars that aren't driven. ;) :cool: BP

8E45E
10-15-2016, 07:44 AM
Steel-belted radial tires manufactured during the 1970s are not to be trusted no matter what....but you can be sure brand-new ones bring top dollar from the Corvette crowd who want period-correct manufacturer date codes for show cars that aren't driven.

Then there was the big Firestone 500 scandal in 1978 where they attempted to evade the problem until they were forced to issue a recall on them, which I also mentioned here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?83241-When-were-radial-tires-first-used-n-the-USA

Have the Corvette guys learned?? http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-general/2647315-firestone-500-s-why-they-were-recalled.html

Craig

TWChamp
10-15-2016, 09:04 AM
You can add Goodyear Regatta tires to the list of bad tires. I've had 12 of them, and 10 had ply separation and sidewall blowouts, and the Goodyear dealer wouldn't do a thing about it. If ever a tire company should be sued or a tire recalled, it should have been the Badyear Regatta.

nels
10-15-2016, 06:56 PM
Well, I've located three original Firestone 500 tires. Anybody have a spare in the trunk or in the garage that would make it an even four??

Bob Caser
10-15-2016, 09:02 PM
I have two black wall Firestone 500 circa 1966 you can have . They are larger than 6:70 x 15 if you want to go with larger tires in the rear.

Bob Caser

Lark Parker
10-16-2016, 12:23 AM
It's good to read such honesty and openness about the tires being used.
Does this mean I can now use antifreeze in the 39 instead of mixing up the water and alcohol?

stude dude
10-16-2016, 01:19 AM
The Firestone Deluxe Champion 7.75 x 15 tires on my '66 were mounted on their rims as a 21st birthday gift in 1997. Since it took another 10 years to get on the road they have done less than 1000 miles. I keep checking for signs of perishing but apart from taking a mile or two to become round again after sitting, they are new! I believe these tires were made in the US from tooling brought back from a Firestone factory in New Zealand that was still producing bias ply tires.

Chris.

nels
10-16-2016, 06:53 AM
I have two black wall Firestone 500 circa 1966 you can have . They are larger than 6:70 x 15 if you want to go with larger tires in the rear.

Bob Caser

Bob, thanks very much for the offer, I understand your reasoning as it would give the car a subtle but mean look. However, I am just trying to get back to its original appearance when road tested so I'd like to have four correct matching white walls.

gwood
10-16-2016, 08:35 AM
Bob,

I sent you a PM

Gary Wood

56Golden
10-16-2016, 10:13 AM
How true.......All the years that we have been showing our Studebakers, the 3 things that are brought up first are....Tires, paint and the interior..........CASOs take note......

Agree 100%!!! Whenever going to a classic car show I look first at the tires/wheels. If it doesn’t have the right tires ..."where the rubber meets the road” …surely things higher up are not right as well.

56Golden
10-16-2016, 09:45 PM
I understand what you mean. I've been procrastinating buying a set of wide whitewall RADIALS for my '55 Speedster (The Doctor's Car), but since the tires I'm looking for are approaching $250.00 each, plus shipping, and the car basically sits in a garage most of the time, that expense kind of rubs me the wrong way too! :eek:

Sounds about right …that's only $28.22 each (in 1955 dollars). Better stock up now before they are NLA:!:

StudeDave57
10-17-2016, 10:07 AM
I was all ready to offer up this nice set of five tires in that size I had planned to use as my 'show set' for my '65. I knew there was a mix of GY and Firestone, but I had it backwards in my mind- four were made by Good Year, and only the 'spare' is a Firestone. Sorry.

nels
10-17-2016, 07:02 PM
I was all ready to offer up this nice set of five tires in that size I had planned to use as my 'show set' for my '65. I knew there was a mix of GY and Firestone, but I had it backwards in my mind- four were made by Good Year, and only the 'spare' is a Firestone. Sorry.

Dave,
Is the spare a Firestone 500 ww??

StudeDave57
10-18-2016, 01:18 AM
Ummmmmm.......

I'll have to climb up there and look.
Is it a 500? I do not know.
Is it a white wall? Yes.
(the others are too)

Maybe tomorrow I can check more closely...?

StudeDave '57 :cool:

nels
10-18-2016, 05:39 AM
Ummmmmm.......

I'll have to climb up there and look.
Is it a 500? I do not know.
Is it a white wall? Yes.
(the others are too)

Maybe tomorrow I can check more closely...?

O

Also needs to be a 670x15. Probably the one on the far right in your photo.

StudeDave57
10-18-2016, 10:21 AM
Also needs to be a 670x15. Probably the one on the far right in your photo.

The Firestone is indeed the one far to the right.
My notes say all five of those (right to left) are 6.70x15.
The next four to the left are much much bigger-- like 8.55x15s!!!

10-20-2016, 04:13 PM
Well, I've located three original Firestone 500 tires. Anybody have a spare in the trunk or in the garage that would make it an even four??
Have you come up with the fourth yet? I found that I have a repop Firestone 6.70- not a 500. but has the proper whitewall. It's pretty dirty, but I think it's new. I will be at Reedsville on Saturday. If you are there or have a friend that would carry it you, the price is still $0.00.

studeclunker
10-20-2016, 04:40 PM

I need a set of tires. How much were you thinking of asking?

nels
10-20-2016, 06:55 PM
Have you come up with the fourth yet? I found that I have a repop Firestone 6.70- not a 500. but has the proper whitewall. It's pretty dirty, but I think it's new. I will be at Reedsville on Saturday. If you are there or have a friend that would carry it you, the price is still $0.00.

Paul, no, still looking for the fourth one. I think I can get Phil Harris to bring it back for me, the price is sure right. It should do until I find another 500. I appreciate it.

nels
10-24-2016, 06:39 PM
Another bump

StudeDave57
10-25-2016, 02:09 AM
Dave,

I looked at it today.
It is a white wall, but I did not see '500' on it anywhere.
How would I know if it is...?

I need a set of tires. How much were you thinking of asking?
For what?

nels
10-25-2016, 09:14 AM
Thanks for trying, Dave.

studeclunker
10-25-2016, 02:50 PM
For what?

​For the tires you posted about in #38 (as per the quote in my post)!