Need set of Firestone 6.70x15 tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need set of Firestone 6.70x15 tires

Looking for a set of reproduction or original Firestones for a 64 Daytona. White wall preferred but black wall considered.

Coker has them, Nels. Their #568805; $181.00 each. 1" whitewall width; just right. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Well, now I know the white wall I need. I just don't want to spend that kind of money on tires that will just sit in the garage and occasionally go to a car show. I was hoping someone on here might have a set they no longer use.

Comment

Originally posted by nels View Post
        Well, now I know the white wall I need. I just don't want to spend that kind of money on tires that will just sit in the garage and occasionally go to a car show. I was hoping someone on here might have a set they no longer use.
        Not intending to embarrass you, but CASO status can only take you so far. There are some things in life that need the "Best." A few examples...Food, you should eat well. Bed, you should sleep well. Toothbrush, 'nuff said.

A week ago, for the first time in at least three years, I dusted off the Coupe and participated in a local charity car show. The Coker tires are well beyond the (five year) recommended "tire life." But, they sure set the car apart from many of the "cheap risky rollers" sharing the parking lot.

For your prized car, there are many things you can use your "CASO" talents on, in order to use the money saved, to buy the things that should not be compromised in quality.

On my coupe, I saved money by doing the welding, patching, mechanics, body work, painting, etc. For things I wouldn't risk myself, I bartered for upholstery, and the use of a spray-booth for the painting. Some of the money saved enabled me to go first class on the tires on the coupe (Coker Firestones), and a top quality Steering Wheel from Schrock for my '51 Land Cruiser.

Click image for larger version

Name:	48coupe.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	186.0 KB
ID:	1709438
        John Clary
        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Looking for a set of reproduction or original Firestones for a 64 Daytona. White wall preferred but black wall considered.
          I may still have some NOS blackwalls (one of my less than smart investments 40 years ago). Keep in mind that any NOS 6.70 will be more than 50 years old. I have been hauling the tires 20 at a time (limit) to the occasional free tire recycling days here for several years. This coming Saturday is one of those days and I have 38 tires left. I'll check them later today and let you know if you are interested. Price $0.00 each.
          Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
          '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
            For your prized car, there are many things you can use your "CASO" talents on, in order to use the money saved, to buy the things that should not be compromised in quality.
            I almost side with you on this one.

Having seen in person the high level of quality of restoration of Nel's cars, they justify the 'best' of products out there, including the tires. But then, its not my place to make recommendations for someone else.

Craig

Comment

I understand what you mean. I've been procrastinating buying a set of wide whitewall RADIALS for my '55 Speedster (The Doctor's Car), but since the tires I'm looking for are approaching $250.00 each, plus shipping, and the car basically sits in a garage most of the time, that expense kind of rubs me the wrong way too!

You mentioned blackwalls,...would a set of BF Goodrich 7.10-15's (still have nubs) work for you?

Comment

I bought a set of 4 Coker radial wide whites off of e-bay for $836 and free shipping, bought 2 at a time, couldn't afford to buy them all at once. 2 3/4 whitewalls for my 55 Conestoga.
                101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                  I almost side with you on this one.

Having seen in person the high level of quality of restoration of Nel's cars, they justify the 'best' of products out there, including the tires. But then, its not my place to make recommendations for someone else.

Craig
                  I will add, I am certainly no high minded innocent in such things.
                  Making "recommendations" for others is the easy part. Living up to my professed standards requires a moment of confession.
                  I fall short more than I want to admit.

For example, I did not purchase a brand new set of wide whites for my Land Cruiser. When my friend decided to replace the great looking Coker tires on his newly purchased '56 Ford Crown Vic with radials, like any opportunistic predator, I pounced on the opportunity to seize them.
                  John Clary
                  Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I just bought a set from Coker for my Avanti about three weeks ago. I found them to be outstanding so far. They balanced perfectly with very little weights needed, the car now looks correct and speedometer now works correctly having had a radial tire on it when I got the car of a different diameter. I am also an Alliance HAMB forum member which saved 80 bucks from Coker.

One of cool thing about these tires, they are still made by a Firestone employee using original molds. The employees name who made them is on the tire tag applied to tire tread when they arrive.
                    Last edited by Silverplate; 10-11-2016, 06:02 AM.
                    Mike - Assistant Editor, Turning Wheels
                    Fort Worth, TX

Comment

'Diamond Back' wide-white radials seem to be the way to go....Some of the other brands suffer from 'thin' white-wall depth, that eventually 'rubs through' and leaves black showing through the white sidewall!

Comment

[QUOTE=jclary;1017394]Not intending to embarrass you, but CASO status can only take you so far. There are some things in life that need the "Best." A few examples...Food, you should eat well. Bed, you should sleep well. Toothbrush, 'nuff said.

A week ago, for the first time in at least three years, I dusted off the Coupe and participated in a local charity car show. The Coker tires are well beyond the (five year) recommended "tire life." But, they sure set the car apart from many of the "cheap risky rollers" sharing the parking lot.

On my coupe, I saved money by doing the welding, patching, mechanics, body work, painting, etc. For things I wouldn't risk myself, I bartered for upholstery, and the use of a spray-booth for the painting. Some of the money saved enabled me to go first class on the tires on the coupe (Coker Firestones), and a top quality Steering Wheel from Schrock for my '51 Land Cruiser.

John, you didn't embarrass me, I just don't embarrass that easily. The reproduction Firestone tires I need are not even reproduced as the car came with Firestone "500" white walls. Im really not a fan of bias ply tires and if I end up with a set they will probably end up on the car for an important show but radials will be back on it the bulk of its driven career. If 6.70x15 Firestone "500" tires were actually available it would make the expenditure way more palatable.

Comment

Let me know Paul, thanks.

Comment

Let me know Paul, thanks.
                            I forgot to take a good light with me today and I didn't want to move them all outside where I could see them better (the tires are in the basement of a bank barn). I'm kind of afraid that I don't have a matched set and those that are appear to be larger like 7.60x15s, but I'll get back to you tomorrow or the next day.
                            Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                            '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
                              Not intending to embarrass you, but CASO status can only take you so far. There are some things in life that need the "Best." A few examples...Food, you should eat well. Bed, you should sleep well. Toothbrush, 'nuff said.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]59005[/ATTACH]
                              How true.......All the years that we have been showing our Studebakers, the 3 things that are brought up first are....Tires, paint and the interior..........CASOs take note......

Comment

Working...
                              X