V8 Engine Serial Number Location

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V8 Engine Serial Number Location

Sitting at a traffic light in my '61 Champ yesterday morning, a stranger pulled up next to me and told me he had 5 Studebaker engines in his shop that he wants to get rid of. I gave him my phone number and he called me a while later. I got his address and went to his shop to see the engines. They are 2 flat head sixes, an OHV six and 2 V8s. I took my camera and a note pad so I could help him identify what he has. We quickly found the cast numbers on the blocks but could not find the engine numbers on the V8s. I thought I knew right where we should find them but I could not locate them even after a thorough examination with a flashlight.
    Can someone tell me where these numbers should be found? I want to identify what he has before I post them here. I will have as much information and photos as possible for all of you to see. He says he would like to get something for them but is open to any offer. He needs to make room in his shop and has no use for them. He owns Willys Knights and Packards. No Studebakers.
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

It depends on the year of the engine. The early V8s had the number back by the distributor. Most Studebaker V8s that we are famiiar with, have the number on the top of the engine block (horizontal surface) at the left front of the engine (right looking at the front of the engine).
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
      It depends on the year of the engine. The early V8s had the number back by the distributor. Most Studebaker V8s that we are famiiar with, have the number on the top of the engine block (horizontal surface) at the left front of the engine (right looking at the front of the engine).
      All '51and '52 V8s have a machined pad in back by the distributor, for the serial number stamping. Studebaker also sold replacement engines, with just a clover leaf stamped on the left side of the pad, so the serial number from the original engine could be stamped in and anyone working on it afterwards could tell it was a replacement. It isn't unlikely that whoever installed it neglected to do this. All '51-'54 V8s had a stamped steel timing cover and the fuel pumps located on the oil filler tube. All '55 and later engines had the fuel pump bolted on to a cast aluminum timing cover. These things, however, can be changed.

Mark
      Last edited by S2Deluxe; 10-09-2016, 10:23 PM.
      sigpic

S2Deluxe = (5H - C3).

Comment

http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/V8EngineID.asp
        StudeDave '57
        US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
        SDC Member since 1985

past President
        Whatcom County Chapter SDC
        San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
        San Diego Chapter SDC
        North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Specifically, for the 1951 and early 1952s, the machined pad is on the top rear of the block to the passenger side of the distributor.
          Mark L

Comment

Working...
          X