Great time at Studebaker Test Track

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great time at Studebaker Test Track

Thanks to all that represented Studebaker at the old proving grounds for Indiana's Bicentenial Celebration. Had about 50 Studebakers and Avantis show up. Had a "56" Golden Hawk for a pace car that liked to punch it a few times and got to go on a special bus tour just for us through the parts of the test area I never knew existed. Great Studapaloosa and did Saint Joseph County proud.

Hey Tim: put up some pictures! Thanks. Dan

Comment

Originally posted by ivorydan View Post
      Hey Tim: put up some pictures! Thanks. Dan
      Dan, here are a couple of teaser pics. for yah…. (click on pics. to enlarge)

Tim & his '58 Golden Hawk
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Tim.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	1709432

Jim M. (DieselJim here on the forum) and his "Mystery Lark" he allowed me to pilot around the test track. I never actually saw what all was under the hood, but it kept up nicely with the ’56 Golden Hawk pace car all but a few times. The Whistler II

Name:	Jim.jpg
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	1709433

In the north turn. The trees to the left help conceal the world famous "Studebaker Graveyard" (discussed here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ifically-where) and the trees in the center of this pic. are part of the pines that spell out the name S-T-U-D-E-B-A-K-E-R visible only from the air.

Name:	North turn.jpg
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	1709434
      Last edited by 56Golden; 10-10-2016, 06:02 AM. Reason: to enlarge info added

Comment

Can you explain what building the vehicles were in? Thanks
        Mike - Assistant Editor, Turning Wheels
        Fort Worth, TX

Comment

Originally posted by Silverplate View Post
          Can you explain what building the vehicles were in? Thanks

This pic. should help. (click on pic. to enlarge)

That is one of the ORIGINAL 1926 built buildings at the former Studebaker Proving Grounds.

Name:	Orginal Studebaker PG Building.jpg
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	1709435
          Last edited by 56Golden; 10-10-2016, 06:00 AM. Reason: to enlarge info added

Comment

It was great of Navistar to let us stage inside their facility, drive on their track and have their employees give tours as they shut down operations for us which normally run 24/7 testing everything from semis to bicycles. We had Studebakers and Avantis on the track from 1929 to 1989. Thanks for the pictures Jim.

Comment

It's wonderful that the Studebaker test track and buildings still exist in their original form.....Look what happened to the Packard test track!

Comment

This was really a great day. Thanks Tim for getting me the information to come out.

I brought out the Turtle for the first time this year and displayed it, and pushed it around the grounds a bit. That was probably the most fun I've ever had at a Studebaker event outside of leading tours through the plant.
                Chris Dresbach

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Dresbach View Post
                  This was really a great day.
                  ...and that it was!!!

Great seeing you & the TURTLE version II(?) at the former Studebaker proving grounds. These past 7 days up here have been the best "Studebaker Days" I can remember, and I lived in South Bend for 68 years! Tomorrow its time to pack 'em up, head back down to sunny, warm Florida ...and wait for May to roll around.

Name:	TURTLE II.jpg
Size:	135.6 KB
ID:	1709437
                  (click on pic. to enlarge and see Chris)

Comment

That looks like it was a fun day .. Would love to have driven on the track and the tour on the bus ... Envious here . hehe
                    Love my Lark

Comment

Originally posted by 56Golden View Post
                      Dan, here are a couple of teaser pics. for yah…. (click on pics. to enlarge)

Tim & his '58 Golden Hawk
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]58983[/ATTACH]

Jim M. (DieselJim here on the forum) and his "Mystery Lark" he allowed me to pilot around the test track. I never actually saw what all was under the hood, but it kept up nicely with the ’56 Golden Hawk pace car all but a few times. The Whistler II
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]58984[/ATTACH]

In the north turn. The trees to the left help conceal the world famous "Studebaker Graveyard" (discussed here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ifically-where) and the trees in the center of this pic. are part of the pines that spell out the name S-T-U-D-E-B-A-K-E-R visible only from the air.
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]58985[/ATTACH]
                      And I went to a auction and bought a 63 Studebaker 4 door.

Comment

Looks like it was a good time by all who attended.

I hope Navistar opens the facility for us again in May during the International Meet.

Just for Gary. I notice Navistar is now using the term 'Proving Grounds'; not 'Proving Ground' as Studebaker did.

Craig

Comment

Will there be more photos from this event?

Comment

Originally posted by sgriggs View Post
                            Will there be more photos from this event?
                            Yes, when I get "aroundtoit" ...OR ...I've been kicking around the idea of starting a new tread about my unbelievable week-long visit to South Bend 10/4 -11/2016

Comment

Originally posted by 56Golden View Post
                              ...and that it was!!!

Great seeing you & the TURTLE version II(?) at the former Studebaker proving grounds. These past 7 days up here have been the best "Studebaker Days" I can remember, and I lived in South Bend for 68 years! Tomorrow its time to pack 'em up, head back down to sunny, warm Florida ...and wait for May to roll around.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]58993[/ATTACH]
                              (click on pic. to enlarge and see Chris)
                              I have Turtle version 1.
                              Gosh I look rediculious in the photo lol My girlfriend, Tiffany, was with me there and even she had a good time. I'm slowly but surely getting her hooked on Studebakers and tractors.
                              Chris Dresbach

Comment

Working...
                              X