dash lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: dash lights

No Dout this question been asked before but i haven't found the thread ,, i have No instrument lights i have power to the back of the dimmer switch from the light switch all connectors to the back are active when tested ,i have checked bulbs and all seem good ,just No illumination at all,any help is much apprecitaed.

More info would be a great help, help us help you. Model, year any mods, i have seen dust accumulate so bad the dash lites wouldn't show through, but then i also found a speedo full of tiny acorns that made strange sounds through the years! More info please, Doofus

Comment

Hi doofus sorry about that its a 62 hawk no dust to speak of it was all blown off not long ago with compressed all,

Comment

No modifications all is still stock standard

Comment

Problem most likely switch. The contact become dirty and corroded over the decades. Check ground first with a VOM . Check to see if you have power to switch. If so , remove it and check it with a Volt - Ohm meter. If no continuity then see if some contact cleaner will restore it . If the doesn't work call Studebakers West and order a replacement. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by brooker View Post
            No Doubt this question been asked before but i haven't found the thread ,, i have No instrument lights i have power to the back of the dimmer switch from the light switch all connectors to the back are active when tested ,i have checked bulbs and all seem good ,just No illumination at all,any help is much apprecitaed.
            If THIS is true, and there IS Power going out of the Instrument Light Switch (on High Position with Parking or Head Lights ON) to the Bulbs, then the Instrument Panel is not grounded.
            Add a wire from the Lighting Box to a Good heavy Steel Ground like the Dash Chassis.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks for everyone's reply ,Rich you was right it seems all the earth leads to the lighting boxs arnt earthed properly do you know if there is a common earth to the instrument panel or as you said would i be better off earthing boxs and back of guages ,Thanks alot for eveyones help Ray

Comment

I believe the Gauges and the Dash lighting on Hawks only ground through that Aluminum face plate, so many people have had problems with their Gauges until adding an actual Ground Wire which does NOT exist from the factory.
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

As i build my own harnesses i run a ground lead from each gauge to a common lead and install this on bolt holding dash brace to body bracket. i also ground the panel that holds signal and hi beam ind. lites. each ground must be shiny clean and all terminals should be soldered, i use crimp on terminals,heat shrink tubing and solder the crimp for extra security. you dont want a bad ground driving you nuts! don't ask how i know. Luck Doofus

Comment

Actually there is a ground wire that goes from one inst cluster to the next. Just spent a few hours under Ceci's dash so I know this to be true.

Comment

Bet your glad thats over! Doofus

Comment

ok im not having much luck,a quick question , and i know its simple for a lot of you, are the metal instrument gauge boxs at the back of the dash suppose to be live when the light switch is on, because mine are ,when lights are off no live instrument boxs ,

Comment

It sounds like you are missing the ground for the instruments. Run a wire from one of the box mounting screws to a known good ground point.

Comment

if i run a earth wire from back of the box to ground wouldn't that be grounding a live wire when the lights are on ?

Comment

Originally posted by brooker View Post
                              if i run a earth wire from back of the box to ground wouldn't that be grounding a live wire when the lights are on ?
                              Only if you ground the power wire for the bulbs. Every circuit needs a return path, which is the ground side. If your ground plate is not connected to a good ground it will show voltage.

Comment

Working...
                              X