Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1964 Studebaker Challenger races American Graffiti, John Milner's Yellow '32 Ford Deuce Coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1964 Studebaker Challenger races American Graffiti, John Milner's Yellow '32 Ford Deuce Coupe

This was at the flag drags Sunday on the 1/8 mile track here at Bean Blossom Indiana.
    Did you ever see American Graffiti? Could be one of the best movies ever made for a car guy of the '50s and '60s graduating from HS during the Viet Nam war. Well the flag drags Sunday brought that all back on the first pass.
    The first car I raced against was an American Graffiti, John Milner's Yellow '32 Ford Deuce Coupe replica car. It isn't an accurate car since this car has a BIG block with aluminum heads, two fours on a tunnel ram, and two shots of nitrous oxide, and a fiberglass body with 12" slicks. Yes, he did use the NOS on this pass. I think the second car was also a BB.

This is the fun of having a Studebaker engine. Even with the aluminum flywheel, little pistons, valves, and all the shrouding it will still run quick times. 7.28 on the first pass and 7.26 on the second pass. MPH was down from almost 95 to over 93, and it's still spinning off the line with my little 9" slicks so the second pass I shifted early at around 50' or it would have been better. I still haven't run it through the gears at peak RPM to reach peak HP so may it has more in it.
    I had a great day, racing my Studebaker powered Challenger.
    Enjoy
    Thanks,

Richard
    Studebaker V8 with a stick shift, 0:03 / 1:04. Richard Poe's 1964 Studebaker Challenger with Studebaker V8 racing a 1932 Ford Milner's coupe replica
    The annual all Studebaker Nationals and Orphan Car Drag Race is Saturday May 27th 2017 9:00 am at Brown County Dragway in Bean Blossom, Indiana. "Studebaker Drag Racing you can't beat it" For more information contact Richard Poe

Ain't your Grandpa's Studebaker, for sure!!! Thanks for sharing, I love seeing the old Lark types eating up the Yenkos and other "muscle cars".......

Comment

Very cool! Congrats!
      Dean Seavers
      Sacramento, CA

Comment

Just HAD TO(!) share on Studebakers of Scandinavia on facebook!

Comment

Thanks, taking a Studebaker to the strip is lots of fun. We get lots of attention and questions, it promotes Studebaker and the Studebaker Drivers Club. A group of retired guys stopped me to tell me that their buddy brought them to see the green Studebaker he saw here three years ago. They said that they hang out at Burger King and he tells them about my Studebaker leaping off the line.
          So enjoy your Studebaker you never know who might be watching, and learning. That's why we have a drivers club!
          Thanks,
          Richard
          The annual all Studebaker Nationals and Orphan Car Drag Race is Saturday May 27th 2017 9:00 am at Brown County Dragway in Bean Blossom, Indiana. "Studebaker Drag Racing you can't beat it" For more information contact Richard Poe

Comment

I've never been big on drag racing but that performance made my heart pitter patter!

Excellent and I'll be sure to share with some of my big block "buddies."

Comment

That Studebaker can scoot. I hope to see it run in person some day.
              "In the heart of Arkansas."
              Searcy, Arkansas
              1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
              1952 2R pickup

Comment

That looked like FUN!
                HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

You'll get there.
                  Richard

Comment

Wow, thats great , you beat the bb with two fours , the Lark goes!!! Somebody should have a 8 second all studebaker motor...

Comment

Congrats Richard! Great passes. email me when you have the time to update me on your engine and how you repaired it. It's great to see you back on the track again.
                      Cheers, Bill

Comment

Richard, you make me smile!

Comment

Nels,
                          Good, I tried to email you but I guess I have the wrong address.
                          Thanks,
                          Richard

Comment

Richard. Sent you a pm.

Comment

LOL, you were blowing everyone's doors off!
                              Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                              K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                              Ron Smith
                              Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Working...
                              X