A Trip Through The Studebaker Factory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Trip Through The Studebaker Factory

Look at this book on ebay and read the pages shown. One picture caption says "The large building on the right now houses the salvage department".

This is the first time I've heard of a salvage department. Can someone explain exactly what went on in this building?

Also, was this book given to people that took the factory tour? Thanks, Tom

Overruns of parts, obsolete stock, etc went to the salvage department. This is what eventually became Standard Surplus/Newman & Altman at 405 W. Sample St. That building was demolished to make way for a new St. Joseph County Jail. N&A was a really neat place, lots of neat stuff -- wish I had bought more the times that I was there. Here is a pic from back in the day:

Click image for larger version

Name:	NAfrntdr.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	1709353

I can remember sending long lists to N&A in the early '80s to find out if they had specific parts and what the cost was. When N&A got a fax machine, that made that whole process so much quicker -- really high tech!
    Last edited by r1lark; 10-04-2016, 02:41 AM. Reason: added additional memories
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
      Also, was this book given to people that took the factory tour? Thanks, Tom
      More here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...-Factory-Tours

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by r1lark View Post
        Overruns of parts, obsolete stock, etc went to the salvage department. This is what eventually became Standard Surplus/Newman & Altman at 405 W. Sample St. That building was demolished to make way for a new St. Joseph County Jail. N&A was a really neat place, lots of neat stuff -- wish I had bought more the times that I was there. Here is a pic from back in the day:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]58878[/ATTACH]

I can remember sending long lists to N&A in the early '80s to find out if they had specific parts and what the cost was. When N&A got a fax machine, that made that whole process so much quicker -- really high tech!
        Thanks for the photo. Have wonderful memories of exploring that building (two connected, actually).
        Skip Lackie

Comment

Thanks for the excellent link. Wish I'd have been older in the 50's and had the chance to tour the factory.

In the 70's I visited Newman Altman about 7 or 8 times, but now wish I'd have bought more than I did.
          I really enjoyed just being in the old factory and sure miss the building, especially knowing what replaced it.

Comment

My wife and I visited Newman & Altman during the Stude Int'l meet, I think in '97. I bought a few items but am sorry I didn't buy more stuff. As we walked into the building, I saw a brand new Champion engine in its crate. I don't think I'll see anything like that again. I was able to buy a piece of chrome belt molding for my '59 Lark. It took me almost 25 years to find the final molding that my car needed.
            Rog
            '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
            Smithtown,NY
            Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

I have fond memories of the good ol' days starting with an International meet in South Bend around 1970 or '71. Purchased a set of NOS 259 pistons for $8 along with other goodies later making a trip to Hurwich Iron for a 259 crankshaft still in the box for $10...

Comment

Here's a factory tour booklet that just sold for $142 on ebay. Sure glad I didn't have to pay near that much for my green tour book.
                I couldn't make the ebay picture any larger.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Factory Guide Green.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	7.1 KB
ID:	1720923

Comment

Working...
                X