PDA

View Full Version : Carpet vendor choice?

warrlaw1
10-03-2016, 11:39 AM
I'm going to pull the carpet up on my 55 hardtop and do some upgrades (gas pedal, seam seals, etc.). My carpet was the S.I. version, in black. It was a loose fit, but did the job for ten years. Rather than re-use it, is there a better version anyone can suggest? Thanks all.

Silverplate
10-03-2016, 02:19 PM
I have used Rene at Southeast Studebaker with perfect results.

Hallabutt
10-03-2016, 02:29 PM
I don't know what Rene sells, but the real stuff is wool "hog's hair." It can be hard to find, and more expensive, but it's worth it to do it right. Just my $.02 worth.

warrlaw1
10-03-2016, 02:40 PM
Thanks guys. She's a first class "driver" so I don't need factory original. I've watched one Rene Harger business get sold, but I'm glad he's back at it and I will contact Southwest. Thanks again.

warrlaw1
10-03-2016, 02:41 PM
Oh Oh. Just saw the TW advert for Southeast Studebaker in Knoxville. Is that Rene?

warrlaw1
10-03-2016, 03:12 PM
Well I phoned him @ 3:30, no answer, and his phone response gave his hours which I believe I was within and no voice mail. So I emailed the email address in Turning Wheels and it came back "undeliverable". I'm not getting a warm and fuzzy feeling about Rene at this point. Any other suggestions?

Flashback
10-03-2016, 06:34 PM
I don't know what Rene sells, but the real stuff is wool "hog's hair." It can be hard to find, and more expensive, but it's worth it to do it right. Just my $.02 worth.

So where can you get it, if you can't get it from Rene?

Captain Billy
10-03-2016, 06:44 PM
Dave....don't give up on Rene so quickly...try again in a day or two

If that doesn't work try Automotive Interiors in Belchertown, Mass a 2 shits sorry no spell check

http://www.automotiveinteriors.com/carpetcars/studebakers/stude.htm (http://www.automotiveinteriors.com)

Dwight FitzSimons
10-03-2016, 06:46 PM
I don't believe the original carpet on any Studebaker (at least post-war) is wool. What they were is cut-pile, not loop-pile. Here is one source: http://www.automotiveinteriors.com/carpetcars/studebakers/stude.htm. Loga Enterprises and SMS Auto Fabrics also list them.
-Dwight FitzSimons

rkapteyn
10-03-2016, 07:26 PM
715-832-7302. Ernie Loga.
Long time vendor and good supporter of SDC.

Takes his time , but nice looking carpet.

Robert Kapteyn

55s
10-03-2016, 09:16 PM
Try also Ralph Hart ralph.hart@xplornet.com. Cambridge, ON area.

unclemiltie
10-04-2016, 07:48 AM
I second Ernie Loga. I have used SI carpet, Loga carpet, and other vendors. I have not used Renees Ernie has different grades so get his best one if you are keeping the car. He can be slow but he is also caring for his spouse at home which you have to admire

warrlaw1
10-04-2016, 08:34 AM
Thanks guys. I'll try a few of the suggestions and let you know how I made out.

warrlaw1
10-04-2016, 09:48 AM
OK. I tried Paul's link (cause he's never led me astray) and couldn't get an email to them through my browser. So I tried Cap'n Billy's link (who has never led me astray, either) and although it let me get to the shopping cart check out, I still had to email to get shipping charges...and my browser choked again. But!!!! they had an 800 number on the site so I called and gave my order to a very helpful lady named Diane. At first she was reluctant to estimate shipping to Canada, but when I said it was for a Studebaker her attitude perked up and my order is in. Thanks to all who helped and I'll let you know what I get. I chose cut pile over the loop. Here's hoping.

Hallabutt
10-05-2016, 02:43 AM
Sorry Dwight but I think that you are wrong on this. Much if not all of the original carpet through, at least 1955 was wool, and that included Pre WWII as well. The texture and feel is nothing like that of the synthetic carpeting that we most often see today. I will stand by what I have believed was true, unless I can be shown documentation that disproves it. I restored my Speedster in the 70's and honestly can't remember where I got it. My guess would be either La Baron Bonney or Bill Hirsch, but today I would add SMS to my search.

I don't believe the original carpet on any Studebaker (at least post-war) is wool. What they were is cut-pile, not loop-pile. Here is one source: http://www.automotiveinteriors.com/c...kers/stude.htm. Loga Enterprises and SMS Auto Fabrics also list them.
-Dwight FitzSimons

Hallabutt
10-05-2016, 03:03 AM
I think it would be interesting to test some discarded original carpet material from a 53-55 for content. All wool carpeting should not burn or melt like synthetic will, when a flame is touched to it's surface fibers. That's only the surface and not the cotton or synthetic that it is woven into. Anyone interested in trying?

TWChamp
10-05-2016, 05:44 AM
I think it would be interesting to test some discarded original carpet material from a 53-55 for content. All wool carpeting should not burn or melt like synthetic will, when a flame is touched to it's surface fibers. That's only the surface and not the cotton or synthetic that it is woven into. Anyone interested in trying?

I have a sample of the carpet from the footrest on the rear of the front seat of a 1950 Champion. I'm taking my Champion on a5 day outing, but will see if I have enough to test when I get back. It does feel like wool to me, but I'm no fabric expert.
When my Champion was restored 22 years ago they never covered the footrest, so I'm still looking for the long narrow strip to cover it.

studegary
10-05-2016, 01:04 PM
I believe that 1953 C/K carpets were brown/tan mohair with horsehair woven in. By 1954, there were a variety of carpet colors (coordinated with interior/exterior colors). The carpets were not synthetic fibers.

56GH
12-28-2016, 10:23 AM
I'm going to order a new carpet for my 1962 GT Hawk. Can anyone tell me definitely that Studebaker used a cut pile and not a loop in this car before I place my order?

PS
A good substitute for the original black-brownish-tan carpeting in a 1953 is an indoor-outdoor carpeting that used to be available. It was made by Sunseal and called Irongate II in walnut. I published an article about it in the February 1992 "53/54 C/K Studebaker Owners Roster."

Thanks.

dallastx75208
01-25-2017, 06:23 PM
Did anyone get back with you on this? I'm getting ready to do my 62 Hawk as well. Need a good source also.

swvalcon
01-25-2017, 07:19 PM
56gh My 64 had the original on the door panels and it was loop. Although I'am redoing it and leaning more toward cut as I think it looks better.

tim333
01-25-2017, 08:14 PM
Ernest Loga in Wisconsin. logaenter@gmail.com

Dwight FitzSimons
01-26-2017, 11:47 AM
swvalcon:
Your response sent me downstairs to look at my '64 Hawk's carpet. I'm pretty sure the carpet on the door panels is original and it, too, appears to be of loop-pile construction when I look closely. But, when I back up a bit, it looks essentially like cut pile. So, I assume that the "yarn" used to make the carpet was fuzzy in order to give the carpet a cut-pile look. Cut-pile carpet looks richer to me, so I assume that's why Studebaker's supplier did it that way.
-Dwight FitzSimons.

Stu Chapman
01-26-2017, 08:37 PM
Try also Ralph Hart ralph.hart@xplornet.com. Cambridge, ON area.

Unfortunately, Ralph Hart is deceased.

Stu Chapman

stude dude
01-27-2017, 12:37 AM
1959-62 Floor coverings were loop pile, 1963-66 floor coverings were cut pile. I have seen some N.O.S. 1963 GT Hawk door trim & rear quarter trim panels that had a dense loop pile carpeting. We also had a roll of the same type of N.O.S. carpet in blue but it does not appear to have been used on the floor or firewall pad.

Chris.

bezhawk
01-27-2017, 08:17 AM
My 62 and 63 GT Hawks were loop, as well as my 63 Daytona, and 66 Cruiser.

stude dude
01-27-2017, 07:54 PM
My 62 and 63 GT Hawks were loop, as well as my 63 Daytona, and 66 Cruiser.

Are you sure they were original? We have boxed N.O.S. 1963-66 carpet sets that are all cut pile, these are part numbered and identifiable by their heel mats (they changed between 1964, 1965 & 1966). And the 1963 & 1964 Cruiser & 1966 Daytona Sports Sedan N.O.S. door trim panels we have all have cut pile on the lower sections. But the pile does have a kind of dense 'squashed' affect which may appear as twist or loop pile.

Chris.

bezhawk
01-27-2017, 08:05 PM
The Cruiser may have been redone, but the others were all original. The 63 Daytona had only 21,000 miles on it when I got it. I have been making my own carpet because I can't wait on vendors, and I can fit them better with the extra sound deadener, and padding I use. I cut to fit, and then have them edge bound locally.

stude dude
01-27-2017, 09:07 PM
The Cruiser may have been redone, but the others were all original. The 63 Daytona had only 21,000 miles on it when I got it. I have been making my own carpet because I can't wait on vendors, and I can fit them better with the extra sound deadener, and padding I use. I cut to fit, and then have them edge bound locally.

Yes, we have been doing the same, and for the same reasons. Lots of ordinary stuff out there........

I did recently see a photo of an extremely original 1963 Canadian Cruiser (Rose Mist/Chestnut broadcloth/Lark Custom door panels) that did appear to have loop pile carpet, so maybe there was a US/Canadian variation during 1963-64?

studegary
01-28-2017, 12:36 PM
Yes, we have been doing the same, and for the same reasons. Lots of ordinary stuff out there........

I did recently see a photo of an extremely original 1963 Canadian Cruiser (Rose Mist/Chestnut broadcloth/Lark Custom door panels) that did appear to have loop pile carpet, so maybe there was a US/Canadian variation during 1963-64?

I am also thinking that there may be a difference in Australian assembled cars in order to get enough local content.

56GH
01-31-2017, 02:34 PM
I ended up buying red cut pile carpeting from Automotive Interiors. The door panels on the car were cut pile so I matched them (the kick panels too but I don't know if that was factory.) The padding came separate from the carpeting. There was a lot of trimming to make the padding and carpeting fit (especially since the vendor doesn't consider the under-seat heater and I also have a factory A/C unit that practically sits right on top of the transmission hump and it had to be loosened and moved.) We glued down the padding firmly and then spot glued the carpeting. The car originally had an all-red interior and I'm glad I took out the black carpeting.

StudeRich
01-31-2017, 03:38 PM
That looks very good Dan! :!: I always liked the plush look of Cut Pile Carpet, even though Studebaker never used it after 1955.

swvalcon
01-31-2017, 04:56 PM
56GH Now I know where my new carpet is coming from. Looks great. How long it it take to get it? My seats are about the same color or close enough to work. Did you order the 815 red or the 825 maroon?

56GH
02-02-2017, 03:02 PM
See the PM to you, "swvalcon." I forgot to add that it only took two weeks to get the carpeting from NY to FL. AI has made a lot of Studebaker carpets and has a separate listing on their menu just for Studebakers. $290 plus $32 shipping.