Carpet vendor choice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carpet vendor choice?

I'm going to pull the carpet up on my 55 hardtop and do some upgrades (gas pedal, seam seals, etc.). My carpet was the S.I. version, in black. It was a loose fit, but did the job for ten years. Rather than re-use it, is there a better version anyone can suggest? Thanks all.
    Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

I have used Rene at Southeast Studebaker with perfect results.
    Mike - Assistant Editor, Turning Wheels
    Fort Worth, TX

Comment

I don't know what Rene sells, but the real stuff is wool "hog's hair." It can be hard to find, and more expensive, but it's worth it to do it right. Just my $.02 worth.

Comment

Thanks guys. She's a first class "driver" so I don't need factory original. I've watched one Rene Harger business get sold, but I'm glad he's back at it and I will contact Southwest. Thanks again.

Comment

Oh Oh. Just saw the TW advert for Southeast Studebaker in Knoxville. Is that Rene?

Comment

Well I phoned him @ 3:30, no answer, and his phone response gave his hours which I believe I was within and no voice mail. So I emailed the email address in Turning Wheels and it came back "undeliverable". I'm not getting a warm and fuzzy feeling about Rene at this point. Any other suggestions?

Comment

Originally posted by Hallabutt View Post
              I don't know what Rene sells, but the real stuff is wool "hog's hair." It can be hard to find, and more expensive, but it's worth it to do it right. Just my $.02 worth.
              So where can you get it, if you can't get it from Rene?

Comment

Dave....don't give up on Rene so quickly...try again in a day or two

If that doesn't work try Automotive Interiors in Belchertown, Mass a 2 shits sorry no spell check

http://www.automotiveinteriors.com/carpetcars/studebakers/stude.htm
                Bill Foy
                1000 Islands, Ontario
                1953 Starlight Coupe

Comment

I don't believe the original carpet on any Studebaker (at least post-war) is wool. What they were is cut-pile, not loop-pile. Here is one source: http://www.automotiveinteriors.com/c...kers/stude.htm. Loga Enterprises and SMS Auto Fabrics also list them.
                  -Dwight FitzSimons

Comment

715-832-7302. Ernie Loga.
                    Long time vendor and good supporter of SDC.

Takes his time , but nice looking carpet.

Robert Kapteyn

Comment

Try also Ralph Hart ralph.hart@xplornet.com. Cambridge, ON area.

Comment

I second Ernie Loga. I have used SI carpet, Loga carpet, and other vendors. I have not used Renees Ernie has different grades so get his best one if you are keeping the car. He can be slow but he is also caring for his spouse at home which you have to admire
                        Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
                        1961 Hawk 4-speed
                        1967 Avanti
                        1961 Lark 2 door
                        1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

Thanks guys. I'll try a few of the suggestions and let you know how I made out.

Comment

OK. I tried Paul's link (cause he's never led me astray) and couldn't get an email to them through my browser. So I tried Cap'n Billy's link (who has never led me astray, either) and although it let me get to the shopping cart check out, I still had to email to get shipping charges...and my browser choked again. But!!!! they had an 800 number on the site so I called and gave my order to a very helpful lady named Diane. At first she was reluctant to estimate shipping to Canada, but when I said it was for a Studebaker her attitude perked up and my order is in. Thanks to all who helped and I'll let you know what I get. I chose cut pile over the loop. Here's hoping.

Comment

Sorry Dwight but I think that you are wrong on this. Much if not all of the original carpet through, at least 1955 was wool, and that included Pre WWII as well. The texture and feel is nothing like that of the synthetic carpeting that we most often see today. I will stand by what I have believed was true, unless I can be shown documentation that disproves it. I restored my Speedster in the 70's and honestly can't remember where I got it. My guess would be either La Baron Bonney or Bill Hirsch, but today I would add SMS to my search.

I don't believe the original carpet on any Studebaker (at least post-war) is wool. What they were is cut-pile, not loop-pile. Here is one source: http://www.automotiveinteriors.com/c...kers/stude.htm. Loga Enterprises and SMS Auto Fabrics also list them.
                              -Dwight FitzSimons

Comment

Working...
                              X