Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NEW HERE.....1983 (RQB) AVANTI...Questions

Hi all....

I recently acquired a '83 (RQB) Avanti black/black but it came without an Owners Manual ;o( but I do have an offer by a very "sweet person" if I can not find one....;o)

Where can I obtain information on this Avantis' past owners and any history about the RQB Avantis?

Also what are the TWO CENTER toggle switches for on the console? Left is for the drivers window, my passenger window motor is broken and being replaced so guessing far right switch is for the passenger window but without a manual, have no clue what the two center switches control.

Thank you for your help.

Lucky

Lucky

Center left switch, rear defroster - center right, aux lights. Also under the dash on the drivers side you will find a couple more. One should be interior lights and the rest I can't recall.

Let me also suggest you get a copy of the Original Avanti service manual. All the running gear and body parts are the same as on the 83's

There's little I can find on history. This is Bob Johnstone's site which is full of data including Avanti and Studebaker repairs and mods. http://www.studebaker-info.org/avantiRQBverd.html Check you car here but it only shows one owner in SC.

Give it a day or so but if you can't find a manual, I'll email you a copy of mine.

Bob

Comment

Thank you Bob!
      Amazed at all of the accessories this car has. Were the square shaped fog lights extra?

Comment

Originally posted by GOTLUCKY View Post
        Thank you Bob!
        Amazed at all of the accessories this car has. Were the square shaped fog lights extra?
        The fog/driving lamps are a legit, extra cost option on '83 Avantis,....controlled by the 'aux' switch on the console. When you turn them on, like Studebakers of old, the rear tailights will come on also.

Comment

Thanks SN-60....

Was hoping to find more info. on this car's history. The most recent owner told me the engine had been replaced and "enhanced" Will get more info. from my mechanic tomorrow. Also believe it has been repainted to this beautiful black. I found a sticker in the glove box indicating Sheffield Gray. More mysteries to solve.....

Comment

You probably will not be able to trace earlier owner, as state privacy laws have made that pretty difficult. Some states will provide a bit of info for a fee, but that approach will run dry if the vehicle moved from a different state. The only way that has worked for some people is to work backwards through the owners -- ask each one who he bought it from.

Chevy engines have serial numbers that specify such things as displacement and year. If your engine has been replaced, you can learn more about it here:
            Decoding General Motors VIN, Trim Tags, Engine, Transmission and drivetrain codes & paint codes
            Skip Lackie

Comment

Depending on serial number I can provide a copy of your cars build sheet $25.00
              John Hull

Comment

Thanks Skip....

Will have my mechanic copy down the serial number for me......

Comment

Originally posted by Avantict View Post
                  Thanks for the offer

Does the Build Sheet provide the original parts numbers? What additional information would a build sheet provide?

Comment

The build sheet doesn't provide parts numbers. It just tells you how the car was equipped as built...color, interior fabrics/vinyls/leathers, carpeting, a/c, automatic or 4-speed, etc.
                    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
                      The build sheet doesn't provide parts numbers. It just tells you how the car was equipped as built...color, interior fabrics/vinyls/leathers, carpeting, a/c, automatic or 4-speed, etc.
                      Thank you for the info.

Lucky

Comment

Originally posted by Avantict View Post
                        Thank you!
                        Please check (RQB 3660)

Comment

Working...
                        X