PDA

View Full Version : Malcolm Gunn’s Top Ten Cars of All Time

rgallatin
10-01-2016, 01:57 PM
Listing of the 10 greatest automobiles includes the Studebaker Avanti.
Top Ten Cars of All Time (http://www.theavanti.net/topten.html)

ddub
10-01-2016, 05:50 PM
That is a very odd list. I am sure he will get a lot of argument.

48skyliner
10-01-2016, 07:44 PM
I restored an MG-TC and it was beautiful, but an absolutely terrible car, almost identical to an MG made in the late 30s, and obsolete in every way. The Jag E-type would be a much more logical choice, with more advanced structure, suspension, and styling than any production car made in England, Italy or anywhere else at the time.

A top ten list which does not include the Duesenberg Model J is just not right. Knowledgeable people generally regard it as the finest car built anywhere in the world at the time.

Silverplate
10-01-2016, 09:30 PM
And after looking up Malcom Gunn, we should all make up are own ten lists.

Skip Lackie
10-02-2016, 09:15 AM
I restored an MG-TC and it was beautiful, but an absolutely terrible car, almost identical to an MG made in the late 30s, and obsolete in every way. The Jag E-type would be a much more logical choice, with more advanced structure, suspension, and styling than any production car made in England, Italy or anywhere else at the time.

A top ten list which does not include the Duesenberg Model J is just not right. Knowledgeable people generally regard it as the finest car built anywhere in the world at the time.

Certainly agree on the Duesenberg J. Not sure what the criteria supposedly were, but the MG-TC's contribution may have been that it introduced the small, light sports car to North America. But does that narrow achievement make it one of the 10 best cars of all time?

ken-renda
10-02-2016, 11:19 AM
Notwithstanding that in America, if you ask 10 people to list best car design, one can expect 12-15 different answers but it would be hard to deny that the Studebaker 53-54 Starliner and Avanti continue to receive modern day design awards. Ken, Deltaville, Va

Dan White
10-02-2016, 11:31 AM
1949 Ford give me a break! How about 1948 Hudson, far more advanced styling and technology than Ford at the time. First time I have seen a '49 Ford listed as a great automobile, and my Grandfather had one.

ddub
10-02-2016, 11:42 AM
A top ten list which does not include the Duesenberg Model J is just not right. Knowledgeable people generally regard it as the finest car built anywhere in the world at the time.[/QUOTE]

It was the absence of Dusenberg that made me think this list is flawed. You can argue other cars but any list like this must include Dusenberg.

JRoberts
10-02-2016, 03:08 PM
I agree that the '49 Ford is at least a questionable choice for such a list. I think such lists reflect the likes and dislikes of person making the list more than anything else. I will say there are some on this list that agree with, but also some that I think should have been on the list and are not.

rgallatin
10-06-2016, 08:53 AM
I think Gunn's intention with this list was to honor the 10 cars that most affected changes in the automotive industry. With the 49 Ford it was mostly the timing of its introduction after WWII. With the Avanti it was the shift in design being so dramatic. Of course I published the list only because he included the Avanti with some of the most significant cars ever manufactured.

jclary
10-06-2016, 09:55 AM
A fun exercise (in futility) would be to have forum members to post "their" top ten cars of all time list. Perhaps, in the spirit of our "Drive your Studebaker Day"...we could announce a day to post "Your Top Ten" list, and start a thread for that purpose. Then, we could all post, compare, and evaluate how many are the same. I suspect few would be the same, but it should drive home the point, that all such lists are opinions, regardless of the credentials of who the author is.

Such lists are entertaining, and the meaningful significance is determined by what each individual reader chooses to give it.

ddub
10-06-2016, 12:51 PM
A fun exercise (in futility) would be to have forum members to post "their" top ten cars of all time list. Perhaps, in the spirit of our "Drive your Studebaker Day"...we could announce a day to post "Your Top Ten" list, and start a thread for that purpose. Then, we could all post, compare, and evaluate how many are the same. I suspect few would be the same, but it should drive home the point, that all such lists are opinions, regardless of the credentials of who the author is.

Such lists are entertaining, and the meaningful significance is determined by what each individual reader chooses to give it.

That sounds like a fun idea. I would have NO idea of a top ten, but I could name a few cars that have had a big impact on ME and no one could argue with it. Let's see how far I get.

1. 1953 Studebaker Starliner
2. Mercedes gull wing
3. Lincoln Continental Mk II
4. Studebaker Avanti
5. Jaguar XKE

That's my list and I'm stickken tuit.

Corvanti
10-06-2016, 01:12 PM
i'll do a top 5 but stick to Studebakers:

'58 Packard Hardtop
'58 Packard Hawk (of course, both count as Studebakers)
'57 Golden Hawk
'63 Avanti
'37 Coupe Express

48skyliner
10-06-2016, 09:59 PM
This kind of Top Ten list is not going to be meaningful unless you define the objective. Are you listing the most beautiful cars, i.e., cars as art? Are you listing the cars that would be the most fun to drive? Are you talking about the most technically innovative cars for the time they were introduced? Are you listing the cars that have had the most influence on the auto industry?

I think there is no argument that the Ford Model T had more impact on the growth of the auto industry and indeed on the American economy than any other car. Just about any other choice in any category would be arguable. However, the statement in Gunn's list which says " the coffin-nose Cord is, in the opinion of most car connoisseurs, the most beautiful car ever made" is ridiculous. Most car connoisseurs have at least seen pictures of the 1937 Teardrop Coupes, the 1947 Cisitalia, the 1953 Stude coupes, the E-types, the Alfa Sprint Speciale, etc. If you took a poll at Pebble Beach, I am pretty sure the Teardrop Coupes would get the most votes.

rgallatin
10-09-2016, 11:11 AM
Listing of the 10 greatest automobiles includes the Studebaker Avanti.
Top Ten Cars of All Time (http://www.theavanti.net/topten.html)

Top 10 Best Car Designs From the perspective of an artist/designer

1) 1963 Studebaker Avanti
2) 1961 Jaguar E-Type
3) 1956 Lincoln Continental Mark II
4) 1963 Aston Martin DB5
5) 1945 MG TC Midget
6) 1954 Mercedes-Benz 300 SL Gullwing
7) 1957 Ford Thunderbird
8) 1949 Citroen 2CV
9) 2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
10) 1997 Volkswagen (New) Beetle

ddub
10-09-2016, 12:00 PM
I can agree with that better than the first list but it should include the 53 Starliner.

Scott
10-09-2016, 12:06 PM
That is a very odd list. I am sure he will get a lot of argument.
No kidding. I think he just randomly picked them from a list and some darts.

Scott
10-09-2016, 12:09 PM
Top 10 Most Beautiful Car Designs From the perspective of an artist/designer

1) 1963 Studebaker Avanti
2) 1961 Jaguar E-Type
3) 1956 Lincoln Continental Mark II
4) 1963 Aston Martin DB5
5) 1945 MG TC Midget
6) 1954 Mercedes-Benz 300 SL Gullwing
7) 1957 Ford Thunderbird
8) 1964-66 Ford Mustang
9) 2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
10) 1997 Volkswagen (New) Beetle

And, yes, some will add the Citroen DS. I can see why, but I can also see why definitely not!

rgallatin
10-09-2016, 02:18 PM
Citroen yes, but I would choose the 2CV.

48skyliner
10-09-2016, 03:15 PM
I am sure we all agree that aesthetics are a matter of personal choice and opinion, and everyone has a right to their opinion, but I am amazed that anyone would think that a VW Beetle is more beautiful than an early Karmann Ghia or that a Jeep or Thunderbird is more beautiful than a 37 Teardrop Coupe, a 39 Lincoln Zephyr, an Alfa Sprint Speciale or Maserati Ghibli. Perhaps I am just too much influenced by my Aerodynamics background. And yes, all those I have shown are production cars, although only a small number of the Teardrop Coupes were built.

58970 58971 58972 58973 58974

bezhawk
10-09-2016, 04:09 PM
Most any Delahaye
Cord 812
53 Studebaker HT
63 Avanti
65 Rivera
66 Toronado

rgallatin
10-09-2016, 07:19 PM
I am sure we all agree that aesthetics are a matter of personal choice and opinion, and everyone has a right to their opinion, but I am amazed that anyone would think that a VW Beetle is more beautiful than an early Karmann Ghia or that a Jeep or Thunderbird is more beautiful than a 37 Teardrop Coupe, a 39 Lincoln Zephyr, an Alfa Sprint Speciale or Maserati Ghibli. Perhaps I am just too much influenced by my Aerodynamics background. And yes, all those I have shown are production cars, although only a small number of the Teardrop Coupes were built.

58970 58971 58972 58973 58974

Your point is well taken in the sense that your excellent choices include some very beautiful cars that I don't even know about thus exposing the limits of my knowledge. Thanks for the insight! I confess that when I was a kid I wanted to be a car designer and some of these models I include were well-known and familiar to me. Perhaps it was misleading to include the word "beautiful." Superior design is only partially about beauty. It should also include function, need, innovation, originality, and of course aerodynamics. Perhaps my top ten needs some adjustments.