PDA

View Full Version : Looking for parts vendors

bumpkinvilledano
10-01-2016, 08:43 AM
Howdy all, DNG (Dang New Guy) to Studebaker ownership. I recently got my first Studebaker, 1960 Lark VIII (formerly owned by Kelly Marion). Being new to all this, I'm wondering if there is a thread with a list of parts resources? I don't expect to be able to go to my local parts store for most, if any, parts and am curious where to find stuff. As I plan on this car continuing to be a driver and not a lawn ornament, I expect to need a few things in the future. I already have noticed a couple things that warrant some investigation, "clunk" coming from the right front suspension, and figure I'll be needing some parts for that, once I find what it is that's causing it.

Any guidance will be much appreciated.

unclemiltie
10-01-2016, 08:52 AM
www.studebakervendors.com

Congratulations on owning a Studebaker

bumpkinvilledano
10-01-2016, 09:15 AM
www.studebakervendors.com (http://www.studebakervendors.com)

Congratulations on owning a Studebaker

Well that was easy. Guess maybe I should have tried the Google first.

Thank you sir.

sweetolbob
10-01-2016, 09:48 AM
Clunk is never good in the front suspension. Usually clunk is worn bushings which deteriorate with time but could be a couple of other loose parts that you don't want to be driving with if they let go.

Get it on a hoist and then you can use the vendor list you have found. It's not a complicated job to replace parts if you're able to do the job but there are a couple of safety issues to look for when disassembling it.

A forum search with Google and/or an service manual are your friends here. Congrats on your acquisition and welcome.

Bob

rockinhawk
10-01-2016, 09:50 AM
Where in Georgia are you located?

thunderations
10-01-2016, 09:55 AM
No, you came to the right place..............Google would not have any information if it wasn't for Studebaker enthusiasts. Had a clunk in the front of my 66 and like others have said, the upper bushings were toast.
Good luck and welcome to the FORUM.

[QUOTE=bumpkinvilledano;1015763]Well that was easy. Guess maybe I should have tried the Google first.

bumpkinvilledano
10-01-2016, 10:06 AM
Clunk is never good in the front suspension. Usually clunk is worn bushings which deteriorate with time but could be a couple of other loose parts that you don't want to be driving with if they let go.

Get it on a hoist and then you can use the vendor list you have found. It's not a complicated job to replace parts if you're able to do the job but there are a couple of safety issues to look for when disassembling it.

A forum search with Google and/or an service manual are your friends here. Congrats on your acquisition and welcome.

Bob
Hi Bob. I intend to address the issue ASAP. My work schedule has kept me out of town for 25 of the 30 days since I brought the car home. As such, I've only put about 40 miles on it. Once my schedule loosens up a bit I'm gonna get into several things as well as the "clunk".

bumpkinvilledano
10-01-2016, 10:08 AM
Where in Georgia are you located?

Hi Neil. I'm located in Covington

bumpkinvilledano
10-01-2016, 10:09 AM
No, you came to the right place..............Google would not have any information if it wasn't for Studebaker enthusiasts. Had a clunk in the front of my 66 and like others have said, the upper bushings were toast.
Good luck and welcome to the FORUM.

[QUOTE=bumpkinvilledano;1015763]Well that was easy. Guess maybe I should have tried the Google first.

Thanks for the welcome

jackb
10-01-2016, 10:18 AM
clunk may be bad coil spring install or possibly A-arm nuts/bolts loose...

rockinhawk
10-01-2016, 12:17 PM
If your a-arm bushings are bad,the front tires will most likely lean in at the top.

swvalcon
10-01-2016, 12:40 PM
I've found NAPA has some parts and so does Rockauto and there are several Studebaker vendors.

55 56 PREZ 4D
10-01-2016, 01:33 PM
http://www.studebaker-info.org/
http://www.network54.com/Forum/23885
Here are a couple other sites that may be of interest to you.
The first is EXTENSIVE.

rockne10
10-01-2016, 07:33 PM
Dan,
Have you joined the Studebaker Drivers Club?

bumpkinvilledano
10-01-2016, 11:29 PM
Dan,
Have you joined the Studebaker Drivers Club?

Brad, yes I have just in the last week or so.

bumpkinvilledano
10-01-2016, 11:36 PM
Thanks all for the tips on my "clunk" and the info on parts. I had pretty much figured A arm problem but its always good to hear from folks who have been down this path with these vehicles.

ddub
10-02-2016, 02:52 AM
Visit "Studebaker International" and get their catalog. You will want the shop manual and Chassis parts and body parts catalogs.

rockne10
10-02-2016, 11:56 AM
Ditto what Don Wilson said. When ordering parts there is no substitute for requesting the precise part number you need. Those numbers from the original factory catalogs.