• Show
Clear All

• Gas Tank Capacity?

...on a 64 GT Hawk?
    Lou Van Anne
    62 Champ
    64 R2 GT Hawk
    79 Avanti II

My '61 is 18 gallons,I'd imagine the GT is the same,since they didn't change hardly anything,underneath on the GTs.
    Oglesby,Il.

Comment

My 63 GT also is 18 gallons

Comment

For anyone else that needs to know with different Models; ALL '53 to '66 Studebaker Cars and 1/2 to 1 Ton Trucks without optional Tanks hold 18 Gallons except Avantis which are 21 Gal.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

My 64 cruiser holds 18 gal per the books, but the most I have ever been able to put in the tank, even when I ran out of gas was 12 gallons. I am thinking I need to clean it out.

Mark

Comment

Or maybe take the Dents out. Six Gallons is a Lot, maybe the pickup tube has raised off of the near bottom.
            StudeRich
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks, that's what I thought.
              Lou Van Anne
              62 Champ
              64 R2 GT Hawk
              79 Avanti II

Comment

I worked on a Pontiac back in the late 70's where his gas tank was reduced in size by about 1/3. He lived on a gravel road and drove so fast that the flying stones beat the front of the tank back little by little until when the car was a couple years old he's lost a lot of capacity. I installed a new tank, and added a rubber flap in front of it, and suggested he slow down on gravel roads. I'd remove the sending unit and have a look inside the tank, because as Rich said the pickup tube must be raised, or someone put something in the tank, or it got collapsed.

Comment

I have not seen any dents in my tank, that's why I am thinking it is junk in the tank. I will have to pull it to be sure. Thanks for the confirmation!

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by Bullet View Post
                    I have not seen any dents in my tank, that's why I am thinking it is junk in the tank. I will have to pull it to be sure. Thanks for the confirmation!

Mark
                    I cannot imagine six gallons of junk in the tank, nor why anyone would install a fuel cell filler block. It will be interesting to hear what you find. I usually gas up at 13-15 gallons down. A 12 gallon tank would be quite an inconvenience.

Comment

I'm wondering if the tank vent got plugged, could the pull from the fuel pump be enough to collapse the tank?

This will be interesting to find out what the problem is.

Comment

And I am waiting for the mystery 6 gallons of “Kidney Stones”... any updates?!?

Comment

Welcome to the SDC and to the SDC Forum Terry!
                          Looks like a Nice "R" Series Truck, you don't see many repainted stark White.

Glad to have another new Pacific Northwest Member, have you joined the North Puget Sound SDC Chapter in Everett?

Tanks can definitely collapse with a plugged Cap, Dad had a brand New '60 Lark Demo that did exactly that.
                          StudeRich
                          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

My '50 Commander had an 18 gallon tank as well. I believe most Studebakers go way back with that size tank. Does anyone know differently?
                            Ed Sallia
                            Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Originally posted by terrydoc View Post
                              And I am waiting for the mystery 6 gallons of “Kidney Stones”... any updates?!?
                              Terry, I too am glad to see another new Studebaker owner here in the NW. I believe my brother, Bill, is (or will be soon) a member of the Puget Sound Chapter. He is restoring a 1957 Golden Hawk at his home in Marysville. He works at Boeing in Everett.
                              Ed Sallia
                              Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Working...
                              X