Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

USPS Slights Studebaker (Pickup truck forever stamps)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USPS Slights Studebaker (Pickup truck forever stamps)

I am a little late on this since these "new" stamps were apparently issued first on July 15, 2016. Why two Fords and no Studebakers?? Believe their model selection was very poor! I note that in their extensive write-up that Studebaker is mentioned for being the first to use the name pickup in 1913. Will have to check that out. I do know that Studebaker was first to use the term "station wagon" in c1916.

Click image for larger version

Name:	stamp pickups.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	1751845
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

I get that the F-100 was a popular truck (but wholly undistinguished in design) and they wanted to show the "evolution" of truck design.
    I think beginning with a CE or ending with a Chevy C10 and replacing the 3100 with a 2R would have been nicer.
    Andy
    62 GT

Comment

I would not at all be surprised if there will be subsequent sets of this series of postage stamps yet to be released, which will no doubt include a Studebaker on it.

Craig

Comment

Studebaker Trucks "don't get no respect" from the USPS. Fortunately Studebaker trucks (if you consider the Zip Van a truck) have graced the stamps of at least one country.

Stamp: U.S. Mail Studebaker Zip Van (Guernsey(Europa (C.E.P.T.) 2013 - Postal Vehicles) Mi:GG 1422,Sn:GG 1207,Yt:GG 1430,Sg:GG 1462,AFA:GG 1426,Un:GG 1431. Buy, sell, trade and exchange collectibles easily with Colnect collectors community. Only Colnect automatically matches collectibles you want with collectables collectors offer for sale or swap. Colnect collectors club revolutionizes your collecting experience!

Comment

I was insulted when I saw 2 Ford trucks on the stamps
          There is no rhyme for their reason for doing this, other than peer pressure.
          Anybody that is involved in the SDC or the chapters should get a petition going.
          ..........The wheel that squeaks the loudest......gets the spoils.......

Comment

Well, since the Post Office had stamps honoring the '53 models and the Golden Hawk, I wouldn't feel slighted much. Maybe the Post Office is like most people who don't ever realize that Studebaker made trucks.
            The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

They probably didn't want and "German" pickups

Comment

As well as Studebaker, they could have at least one Dodge/Ram/Plymouth pickup.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I bought a couple books last month. Or course I noticed no Stude. Hopefully they'll do more later and include one.

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                    As well as Studebaker, they could have at least one Dodge/Ram/Plymouth pickup.
                    Maybe they could have a Champ stamp and be Stude and Dodge both at once!
                    1963 Champ "Stu Bludebaker"- sometimes driver
                    1957 Silver Hawk "Josie"- picking up the pieces after an unreliable body man let it rot for 11 years from an almost driver to a basket case
                    1951 Land Cruiser "Bunnie Ketcher" only 47M miles!
                    1951 Commander Starlight "Dale"- basket case
                    1947 Champion "Sally"- basket case
                    1941 Commander Land Cruiser "Ursula"- basket case

Comment

I see no reason why they couldn't issue a set honoring nothing but Studebakers.
                      Brad Johnson,
                      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I too was hoping to see a Studebaker, at least they put in an International. I'm surprised to see the 3rd series F-100 instead of the first, and in my opinion the prettiest (1953-1956).
                        Dwight 54 Commander hardtop

Comment

Working...
                        X