No announcement yet.

How do I find a switched ignition wire?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: How do I find a switched ignition wire?

How do I look for a switch ignition wire ? I'm trying to hook up a blue tooth audio integration & origination , their calling afor a switch ignition wire.. Thanks mike

Depending on the model, one of the threaded shafts on the back of the ignition switch will be live whenever the switch is in the on or accessory position. Probably marked 'acc" in very small print.
    Skip Lackie

Comment

Crawl under the dash with a strong lite and magnifying glass,a pad under the head helps. luck Doofus

Comment

I use a small 12V test light. I put the car ignition in the "on" position then use the tip of the test light probe to find the pin that has 12V. Now remember one pole will be hot even when the ignition switch is "off" (that one goes to the battery).

treblig

Comment

This is a 55 president , 6 volt battery, I think the ignition switch was replaced.

Comment

6v test light....

Treblig

Comment

Originally posted by 14x7 View Post
              This is a 55 president , 6 volt battery, I think the ignition switch was replaced.
              Same thing...use a 12V test light (it will light up dimly on 6V) and poke away till you find a 'hot' wire with ignition switch turned on...and 'cold' when switch is turned off.

Comment

BTW, Harbor Freight sells a nice quality test light for under $5.

Comment

When doing under dash work,I always remove the front seat. It makes it so much easier to work.

Comment

I forgot to mention, when using a test light ALWAYS start by touching it to the battery to be sure it lights up. My 50 Champion is my only driver until I can get my newer Olds running again. The other day I was stumped on why the fuel pump relay wasn't sending voltage back to the tank..........only to discover the light bulb in my test light wasn't lighting.

Comment

You should hook any audio device to the ACC terminal on the switch, not the IGN. That way you can listen to the radio without burning up the points, or the old Pertronix.
                      RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                      4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                      5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

My President didn't come with a radio , and no Pertronix , just points and condenser. No stereo either .. Just mostly stock...Maybe I'll call the company and ask if that would be ok ,to hook it up to the Acc terminal ....

Comment

Of course it will be OK, why would you or "they" want the Engine to be running to turn on a Radio?

I just rented a 2016 Nissan Altima last Month, and even with the "New" "Start" push button, you had to quickly Tap it to get to Accessory Mode to listen to the Radio, so that tells me that every Car on the road has their Audio System wired to the Accessory Terminal of the Ignition Switch or whatever poses as one.
                          Last edited by StudeRich; 09-26-2016, 09:45 PM.
                          StudeRich
                          Second Generation Stude Driver,
                          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

The accessory terminal is where the radio is supposed to be connected. That's why they put an accessory terminal on the switch.
                            RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                            4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                            5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
                              BTW, Harbor Freight sells a nice quality test light for under $5.
                              Even better often the "Free" item with the HF coupon is a voltmeter! (note, image is reference, not valid)

How do I look for a switch ignition wire ? I'm trying to hook up a blue tooth audio integration & origination , their calling afor a switch ignition wire.. Thanks mike
                              Do they make a 6 volt anything for Bluetooth? Or is this a stand alone intermediary device that "Bluetooth's" with the the phone and then it broadcasts to the car radio?
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by wittsend; 09-27-2016, 01:37 PM.
                              '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

Working...
                              X