PDA

View Full Version : CA. DMV being difficult

Sav
09-23-2016, 09:25 PM
57 Transtar. Just transferred the Title into my name. The title is from Oregon but the California DMV has told me it has been registered in CA. Before. When I took it in for the ID verification to get my plates, the DMV told me they have no way of proving that the ID number below the seat inside drivers door is a 1957 ID number. They will not accept the Oregon title as proof and said I have to do some "research" and prove to them the ID number was manufactured in 1957. Seems ridiculous to me as it matches the number on the Oregon title and they are the ones who told me the truck has been registered in California before! Anyone know where I could get this info from to do "their job" for them since they have little to no info on Studebakers? Thanks in advance!

52 Ragtop
09-23-2016, 09:35 PM
How about get a copy of the build sheet, (if available) and tell the DMV where they can stick it??? <G>

That would clear things up a bit, I would think!

Jim

Sav
09-23-2016, 09:40 PM
I almost did the latter but figured I might have to deal with them again. Any idea where I can get a copy of the build sheet?

Commander Eddie
09-23-2016, 09:45 PM
Sav, you can get one from the Studebaker Museum. Here is the link: http://studebakermuseum.org/store/production-orders/

jclary
09-23-2016, 10:04 PM
When you go back to the DMV, try to go to a different office, or at least, perhaps you will get a different worker. Encountering a real life "Barney Fife" is never as comical as the one in the old TV series. Also, go close to quitting time. I have never met a state government employee that wants to work past closing. It is amazing how many people they rush through the line as it gets near quitting time.:rolleyes:;)

BRUCESTUDE
09-23-2016, 10:05 PM
Also the shop manuals have serial/engine number info. that you may be able to use.
A few years ago Washington began tacking on a "weight" fee, and when I tried to get new tabs for my '64 Daytona (after sitting for a couple of years) I had to get proof of weight. I used a photo copy from Turning Wheels in which Fred Fox wrote a feature on the '64 Lark types, and it included weights for each model, and they accepted it!

alaipairod
09-23-2016, 10:32 PM
When you go back to the DMV, try to go to a different office, or at least, perhaps you will get a different worker. Encountering a real life "Barney Fife" is never as comical as the one in the old TV series. Also, go close to quitting time. I have never met a state government employee that wants to work past closing. It is amazing how many people they rush through the line as it gets near quitting time.:rolleyes:;)

How true........I went through 4 different DMV offices and got 5 different answers to how to register my '47 M5.
Thanks to the LASDC member help I went to a DMV in Santa Paula CA. They processed the truck in less than 15 minutes, and I was on my way.............

StudeRich
09-23-2016, 10:34 PM
This is nothing more than PURE IGNORANCE on the part of the Calif. DMV, I have dealt with them many times, and know from many experiences that you need the RIGHT Person!

If you were to get the Supervisor or have someone get out the book of U.S. Vehicle Identification Number locations, they would begin look like the Idiots they ARE!

An undisturbed WELDED on Serial Number Plate is how Pre-1990's Vehicles were identified, not by Dash Plates, Fender Plates, Matching Engine I.D. Stampings etc. which is probably what this Newbie was looking for.

Sav
09-23-2016, 10:36 PM
Thanks Ed!

Sav
09-23-2016, 10:39 PM
Thanks for the tip Bruce! Where might I find a shop manual?

Sav
09-23-2016, 10:46 PM
Agreed Rich! This lady was a Newbie but I asked for her Supervisor who looked like she was going to accept the info from the Oregon title before the Newbie said " I thought we couldn't accept info from an out of state title"! 😔 As for the serial number plate, she basically said that I could've made that and stuck it on there. Freaking ridiculous! I think I'll try to get the PO from the Studebaker museum since I've only been able to find an article that states all 57 v-8 289's were stamped with 3E7 and that they produced 11,000 or so units. My serial number is less than 11,000 but still don't think that will be enough for them.

55 56 PREZ 4D
09-23-2016, 11:48 PM
Head out to some car shows and events in your area. Start talking to the car guys about the problem you're having.
Doesn't matter what make of vehicle they own, this is a hobby wide problem. Find out which local offices have people that know their job.
Unfortunately AAA can not help you with out of state transfers.
You also need to do as much homework as you can. You need to know their job, they are not going to go out of their way to make it easy for you.
The Shop manual, chassis manual will have pictures showing the location and the way the serial number plate is attached. Take them in for reference.
They are going to want to see 2 serial number locations. There is no second location on the trucks, no secret number location on the frame as on cars.
http://www.network54.com/Forum/23885.
Studebaker Truck Talk. This is all truck talk, nothing but truck talk.
Give them your number information, serial, body.
They will be able to school you.

TWChamp
09-23-2016, 11:51 PM
Any chance you can go to another DMV in some small town? I figured it would be best to go to the headquarters in St. Paul, MN to transfer 3 titles. That turned out to be a big mistake, and when the guy said "I've never done an antique car before", that's when I should have walked out. In the end it took me 18 months and cost $500 to get two titles transferred to my name. Others in our car club went to a smaller DMV, were in and out in an hour or less, and had there titles in the mail within a month.

BTW, I had no idea that a DMV store could be privately owned, but a friend of mine moved up north to a small town and bought one for his wife a couple years ago.
It's a real money maker because they get a cut of the fees, and there is never a recession when it comes to having to buy license plates, hunting and fishing license.

scottsewall
09-24-2016, 12:38 AM
Sev, another option is to make an appointment with CHP to inspect the vehicle. I've found they are more knowledgeable and flexible with the older vehicles.

SilverHawkDan
09-24-2016, 01:15 AM
Try attempting to register a custom trailer in California. I bought a 2002 Dodge Durango to use the front frame clip and other pieces on my 1959 Silver Hawk project. I decided to "re use" the body and converted it into a camping trailer. Now they have no idea how to register it since it is a vehicle and now a trailer. Never been done before and it left them stupid. Took two months and multiple visits to two different DVM's and different clerks. Finally a CHP officer who was doing the inspection for the DMV made a call to a good connection and made it happen. It is now registered as a leisure coach. Can't wait to register the Hawk. It has been sitting for over 20 years which means it is out of the system but of course that can mean nothing at times here in the home of the fruits and nuts.

candbstudebakers
09-24-2016, 02:09 AM
Call Dona Leek, she is in Grass Valley and at one time worked for DMV now she handles all my cars her number is 530-346-8781 tell her I gave you the number....Bob Peterson

bison
09-24-2016, 04:13 AM
Agree with John and Rich 100 percent !!!! using those tactics have worked for me in the past , i have also had pretty good luck going through AAA on some things, not sure if they can assist with your request , but it might not hurt to try. i would also definitely try Bob's contact ... good luck

Skip Lackie
09-24-2016, 07:25 AM
The owner's manual has a picture of the truck ID plate, which should prove that that is the only ID that the truck has.

Starting serial numbers, assuming that your truck is a 3E7:
1957: E7-7601
1958: E7-9801
1959: E7-11001

Sources of above data were Studebaker Service Letters, copies of which were sent to all state DMVs, including California, in 1956, 57, and 58. I can mail you copies if you can't resolve the matter any other way.

52 Ragtop
09-24-2016, 08:00 AM
Also, not sure if they still do, but I have registered antique vehicles in Ca. at the Auto Club, they"seem" to be not quite as Gestapo as the DMV.

Jim

Bob Caser
09-24-2016, 10:32 AM
I register many exotic and replica cars per year in California . Your Oregon title is proof of title from another state and is to be accepted by the DMV.
Every DMV " tech" interprets the rules to their liking. A simple way to "qualify" your car for the DMV is to visit a CHP office, ask for vin verification officer. With your vehicle and title in hand ask to have a W124 form filled out by the CHP officer and submit that form when you return to the DMV office. This will trump their objection to vin and title questions.
Contact me if you have any questions.

Bob Caser

Sav
09-24-2016, 10:35 AM
The owner's manual has a picture of the truck ID plate, which should prove that that is the only ID that the truck has.

Starting serial numbers, assuming that your truck is a 3E7:
1957: E7-7601
1958: E7-9801
1959: E7-11001

Sources of above data were Studebaker Service Letters, copies of which were sent to all state DMVs, including California, in 1956, 57, and 58. I can mail you copies if you can't resolve the matter any other way.

Thanks Skip! Mine is a 1957 3E7-10,xxx.the truck does have a 56 front clip which I don't think should matter. I wish I could find these copies to print out. Appreciate everyone's help on this!

Sav
09-24-2016, 10:40 AM
I register many exotic and replica cars per year in California . Your Oregon title is proof of title from another state and is to be accepted by the DMV.
Every DMV " tech" interprets the rules to their liking. A simple way to "qualify" your car for the DMV is to visit a CHP office, ask for vin verification officer. With your vehicle and title in hand ask to have a W124 form filled out by the CHP officer and submit that form when you return to the DMV office. This will trump their objection to vin and title questions.
Contact me if you have any questions.

Bob Caser
Thanks Bob! I have a brother-in-law who is a CHP and I never thought of contacting him until I read your suggestion. He says he has everything to handle this for me. Crossing fingers. Thanks so much for your advice!

Bob Caser
09-24-2016, 10:50 AM
Your welcome, should you still have issues feel free to contact me. I go through this on a weekly basis with the DMV, it is very trying when one knows the process and the counter people at the DMV do not.
Bob Caser

karterfred88
09-24-2016, 11:05 AM
Having lived in Cali for many years, I agree the fastest and least headache prone method for registration of these vehicles is to make an appointment with the CHP. Once you have the W124 form the clerk knows better than to try giving you a hard time.

StudebakerGene
09-24-2016, 11:13 AM
I just bought a Champ from Oregon a couple of years ago and had it registered in Cali--- no problem. Went to the Hayward DMV, had to have it weighed at a lumber yard, inspector looked at the tag on the drivers side and Viola--- Cali title, albeit expensive. Mine however had never been out of Oregon, follow Bob Peterson's advice and call his contact, trust me he knows!

Buzzard
09-24-2016, 11:20 AM
Bob Peterson is 100% correct. He put me in touch with Donna Leek (real nice gal) and she solved the whole mess regarding the California DMV (which told me in Needles Ca that they would never, ever register my '57 Packard Clipper wagon, which originally came from southern CA., because it was undergoing restoration!). My winter residence is Arizona, a short hop to Needles Ca. where they seemed to have THE ATTITUDE. Anyhow, a few weeks later my new CA registration appeared in the mail from Donna and I believe all she charged me was $250.00.
Good luck
Bill

Sav
09-24-2016, 12:55 PM
Call Dona Leek, she is in Grass Valley and at one time worked for DMV now she handles all my cars her number is 530-346-8781 tell her I gave you the number....Bob Peterson
Thanks Bob! Appreciate it! I will give Donna a call if I can't get this resolved by the DMV.

Skip Lackie
09-24-2016, 03:10 PM
Thanks Skip! Mine is a 1957 3E7-10,xxx.the truck does have a 56 front clip which I don't think should matter. I wish I could find these copies to print out. Appreciate everyone's help on this!

If you PM me with your mailing address, I'll send you hard copies.

JRoberts
09-24-2016, 09:04 PM
This is nothing more than PURE IGNORANCE on the part of the Calif. DMV, I have dealt with them many times, and know from many experiences that you need the RIGHT Person!

If you were to get the Supervisor or have someone get out the book of U.S. Vehicle Identification Number locations, they would begin look like the Idiots they ARE!

An undisturbed WELDED on Serial Number Plate is how Pre-1990's Vehicles were identified, not by Dash Plates, Fender Plates, Matching Engine I.D. Stampings etc. which is probably what this Newbie was looking for.

I thought truck Serial Number Plates were screwed on unlike Studebaker cars. I am wrong about this?

StudeRich
09-24-2016, 09:27 PM
I thought truck Serial Number Plates were screwed on unlike Studebaker cars. I am wrong about this?

The Body Plates that contained way more info than a Car, were Screwed onto the Rear Door Post, but the "Real" Serial number Plate on the seat riser was Welded on, at least on all the Later years I have seen.

It really makes NO difference, because those Serial Number Plates wherever, however they were installed ARE the Official Vehicle Identifications, and MUST be honored by Motor Vehicle Depts. and Law Enforcement Agencies.

NEVER let ANYONE tell you that it is not adequate and they must install a State I.D. Number sticker instead.
Those ARE required on Home Builds and Cars with NO I.D. and sometimes officially "Totaled" Cars.

studeclunker
09-24-2016, 11:55 PM
I don't know which DMV is more obnoxious, Redding or Weaverville. I take anything sticky to Fall river Mills. Redding is a royal pain in the wazoo! If the clerk starts giving me trouble in Redding I insist they get the supervisor and I argue it out with them. If that doesn't work, up to F.R.M. I go. It's a two hundred mile round trip from Fawn Lodge, but worth the trouble. A beautiful drive, and no stress at the other end, just really nice people.

Sav
09-25-2016, 09:55 AM
I don't know which DMV is more obnoxious, Redding or Weaverville. I take anything sticky to Fall river Mills. Redding is a royal pain in the wazoo! If the clerk starts giving me trouble in Redding I insist they get the supervisor and I argue it out with them. If that doesn't work, up to F.R.M. I go. It's a two hundred mile round trip from Fawn Lodge, but worth the trouble. A beautiful drive, and no stress at the other end, just really nice people.
I thought about going to Red Bluff but it sure how far I want to venture out in the Studebaker in this Redding heat. Got a plan to let my CHP brother in law handle it for me then I should be good. Btw, where in the heck is Fawn Lodge?

Bob Caser
09-25-2016, 10:30 AM
Fill out a Application of Title (REG 343) form, get a W124 form filled out by the CHP and bring your current out of state title to the DMV. This is all that is required,along with a strong demeanor to not allow the tech or supervisor to chase you away on a goose chase.
I stated in a earlier post I do these weekly for exotic and replica cars and have never failed to date.

Bob Caser

studeclunker
09-25-2016, 03:06 PM
Sav, "where the heck is Fawn Lodge," is a good description of the place. I know a certain fellow in Sun City Az, that knows.;) To wit: thirty miles west of the intersection at Buenaventura Ave, and Hwy 299, off Hwy 299. If you are at all familiar with Trinity County, in the middle between Trinity Dam Blvd. and Old Lewiston Rd. on 299. Look for the flag poles. Being that fire season is nearly over there won't be any flags. Nearest neighbour is a mile away. Love it there!

Sav
09-25-2016, 07:45 PM
Sav, "where the heck is Fawn Lodge," is a good description of the place. I know a certain fellow in Sun City Az, that knows.;) To wit: thirty miles west of the intersection at Buenaventura Ave, and Hwy 299, off Hwy 299. If you are at all familiar with Trinity County, in the middle between Trinity Dam Blvd. and Old Lewiston Rd. on 299. Look for the flag poles. Being that fire season is nearly over there won't be any flags. Nearest neighbour is a mile away. Love it there!

I have a general idea where it is now as that's the way we always take when camping in Trinidad. Nice area. Wife's grandfather grew up in Trinity center.

Sav
09-25-2016, 07:46 PM
Fill out a Application of Title (REG 343) form, get a W124 form filled out by the CHP and bring your current out of state title to the DMV. This is all that is required,along with a strong demeanor to not allow the tech or supervisor to chase you away on a goose chase.
I stated in a earlier post I do these weekly for exotic and replica cars and have never failed to date.

Bob Caser
Will do! Thanks again for the tips, Bob!

JRoberts
09-25-2016, 09:24 PM
The Body Plates that contained way more info than a Car, were Screwed onto the Rear Door Post, but the "Real" Serial number Plate on the seat riser was Welded on, at least on all the Later years I have seen.

It really makes NO difference, because those Serial Number Plates wherever, however they were installed ARE the Official Vehicle Identifications, and MUST be honored by Motor Vehicle Depts. and Law Enforcement Agencies.

NEVER let ANYONE tell you that it is not adequate and they must install a State I.D. Number sticker instead.
Those ARE required on Home Builds and Cars with NO I.D. and sometimes officially "Totaled" Cars.

This is not always the case in North Carolina. Before anybody says anything rest assured that I realize that North Carolina is one of the most difficult states in the country when it comes to registering/titling older out of state vehicles. The really hard part is that from county to county inspectors approach things differently. The trick is to find an inspector that really loves old cars and understands them. Of course this is hard to figure out without the help of somebody who has used a particular inspector.

StudeRich
09-26-2016, 12:32 AM
There should be State Laws, Statutes, etc. that trump any County meddling.

This is NOT the United States of China, yet.

Warren Webb
09-26-2016, 01:31 AM
I can sympathize how dealing with the DMV can be, especially here in Granola-land. My wife this past summer was offered a job driving a bus. A 40" bus. The job offer required a few things among which was taking a test for a "class B" license. She had read the manual and had studied it for a few weeks & scheduled her test for June 16th at 3 pm. When she showed up she was asked for I.D. among them they demanded her Social Security card. Not just provide the number (which they stated that they would verify while the test was being taken) but the actual card itself. She didn't have it & could not recall the last time she needed it, so they told her to go to the S.S. office & get a printout showing her name, address and s.s. number and that would be sufficient.

So off she went to the Social Security office to wait in line for 1 &1/2 hours until her number was called. Then she was told that they (social security) had changed their guidelines and stopped issuing an announcement form back in august 1st, 2014 and ordered a new card for her that would be mailed in 2 to 3 weeks. The problem now rose up that if she failed to take her DMV test & all the other requirements by July 8th, that the job offer would be rescinded. She came home in tears. She had already given her notice at her old job & left there on June 15th thinking that the time in between would give her plenty of opportunity to do what was needed.

So when she came home (in tears) I called the office of our state representative for their assistance. The following morning we showed up at the state rep's office at 9 am sharp as they just opened. The fellow there was very understanding & took notes & copies of the proof that we had then. Joy had made additional appointments at DMV & another was this morning (june 17th now) at 11 am. At that time we showed up & the same woman at the front desk said that without the physical card, that a federal department required, the test would not be taken. We showed her the W-2 for last year that had all the info that she said was required. I said if it's goo enough for the I.R.S. a federal agency then it should be good enough for the DMV. Her words were "That's Federal, WE'RE STATE" in her loud given authority voice. Can you see the hypocrisy? We asked for a supervisor & was told to go to window 23 & wait to be called. A short time later a woman calls out my wife's name & we speak to her, explaining the situation. She goes to her desk & gets on the phone for around 15 minutes then comes back & says that nothing can be done. I then said that my wife had a class B license 20 years ago. She replied "oh we know that! We know more than you think we know!!!" and gave us the number for policies & procedures dept. in Sacramento. She also suggested we go to Social Security & get a letter!

I then called the policies & procedures office and tried to explain to the moron there that their online information and their published handbook did not state that the physical card was required. He kept the same thing that this was a federal requirement & that their INTERNAL handbook stated the physical need. He also said that a military I.D. or a welfare I.D. card would be acceptable instead of the ss card. I told him that this sounded like discrimination (since that is all you seem to hear out of the capital & how they are combatting it). He said that this problem would be addressed & any need for the handbook to be revised would be done when next years handbook was being printed. As if we could wait that long!

So I called the Governor's Office in Sacramento. I figured what the heck. After waiting on hold for 20 minutes an assistant answered & I said "We have a problem with OUR DMV." Again I explained the problem & all the info I had, going to the state rep's office, the local DMV office along with policies & procedures attitude For a second I though he had hung up on me but then after asking he responded "no, I'm here. I'm just making sure all my notes are complete."

Around 5 pm that (Friday by the way) afternoon the phone rings. It's the state rep's office. She asks me if my wife has any plans for Monday morning. I replied " no but she can make plans!" She then said to go back to the DMV & ask for so and so & your wife will be able to take her test. Yippee!!!!!!

The end result was Joy took her test there, went & passed the drug test and the other things she needed & started her training on July 8th, finished her 6 weeks training & now is an official "Coach Operator" for the Riverside Transit Agency. Now to wait for her to become full time & get health benefits so we wont have to pay over $600 a month for health insurance because of the (un)Affordable Care Act, but that's another road I wont go down now.

jclary
09-26-2016, 08:49 AM
Thanks for taking the time to share your (lengthy) story Warren. It is important for us to make the effort to truly expose the absurdity of how our population is being twisted in knots by out of control bureaucrats with hypocritical agendas.:mad: Sad, is it not, that you folks became engulfed in such a nightmare while attempting to gain a simple "permit/license" to earn a life sustaining income.:(

While that kerfuffle is twisting you into emotional turmoil...Judges are striking as null & void, the requirement for people to properly identify themselves to vote.:rolleyes:

These conflicts, and contradictory practices are so absurd...:QQ: I wonder how people, attempting to explain them, don't end up with "LOCKJAW" from the verbal contortions their tongues must twist attempting to express such idiocy into spoken words.:confused:

Mrs K Corbin
09-27-2016, 06:44 AM
Yeah, try to get a Pilot's license in this day and age....

mtnmanbf
09-27-2016, 12:45 PM
CA DMV! Note as of Oct 1st All trucks & cars that need to be verified like Out of State or Off system! You need 2 forms of Vin ! So if you have any sitting around best to register for CA now! Cars & trucks have secondary vins that only peace officers or vin verifier's know of! If something old You need to stamp a vin on frame somewhere just giving all the CA gang a heads up! Tks Bill

55 56 PREZ 4D
09-27-2016, 01:56 PM
Here in California 2 forms of VIN have been a requirement for out of state and off system vehicles for many years. In 2010 it was required to register a vehicle I brought in from Virginia. There are probably stiffer and more requirements coming on Oct 1.

RadioRoy
09-27-2016, 02:39 PM
This is what I call "small people with big power."

Commander Eddie
09-27-2016, 02:53 PM
It may have more to do with protecting the hobby from unscrupulous folks who would sell misrepresented vehicles to unsuspecting buyers. This comes up a lot in the exotic car market where documentation and provenance are a must.

StudeRich
09-27-2016, 03:28 PM
It may have more to do with protecting the hobby from unscrupulous folks who would sell misrepresented vehicles to unsuspecting buyers. This comes up a lot in the exotic car market where documentation and provenance are a must.

Yeah like a lot of things nowadays, the Honest, Larger silent majority have to suffer because of a few Creeps. :mad:

Skip Lackie
09-27-2016, 03:45 PM

Hard copies in the mail. ETA Thu or Fri.

Sav
09-27-2016, 08:02 PM
Thanks a bunch Skip! Appreciate you helping this Stude Newbie out!

GrumpyOne
09-28-2016, 04:20 PM
Just today, two days before the end of September when both, my vehicle inspection and registration renewals, I went to an approved inspection station and got my certificate then the county tax office and got both done in about an hour for my ancient beater daily driver.

But of course this is Texas, not some crazy left coast or east coast "civilized" state....

studeclunker
09-28-2016, 09:49 PM
There should be State Laws, Statutes, etc. that trump any County meddling.

This is NOT the United States of China, yet.

Perhaps not in Washington. However down south we live in the People's Socialist Soviet Republic of California! And you know how the News Pundits say, "all the states follow California..." Communism, coming soon to a state you live in! Our legislature lately has been passing one repressive bill after another at such a pace my head aches trying to keep ahead of them. They have been trying to get vehicles like our Studebakers off the road for thirty years and I think they're just about on the edge of doing so. Look at the last few bills passed having to do with registering vehicles. Not to mention the latest on Cow Farts (or to be fair, manure actually)...

Sav
10-01-2016, 11:39 AM
Got the hard copies in the mail. Thank you so much! This should be all I need to finally convince the CA. DMV. Can I send money to cover your expenses for the shipping/copies to the address on the envelope? Least I could do. Appreciate it!

Skip Lackie
10-01-2016, 12:18 PM
No charge -- just part our quality Studebaker service!

I have been meaning to complete a truck model year - serial number table for posting on the main SDC web site, in the hopes that such a listing would be considered to be authoritative enough to solve DMV problems like yours. But I keep getting diverted (like working on my own trucks) and haven't finished it.

Sav
10-01-2016, 08:11 PM
I greatly appreciate you Skip! Heading to DMV Monday. Keep ya posted.

Skip Lackie
10-02-2016, 08:22 AM
Many of us in the rest of the country probably consider the California DMV's rules to be both weird and gestapo-like, but I would find it hard to understand how a DMV clerk could decide that a title from another state or an official letter sent by a car manufacturer to the Calif DMV wasn't valid. They should have to prove why it's not good enough.

ddub
10-02-2016, 10:55 AM
I think a lot depends on the attitude of the clerk. Sometimes you come across a public servant with the idea they should hep you do what you want and will work to make it happy. Other times you find folks with the attitude that "I don't have to and you can't make me."

Sav
10-04-2016, 07:49 PM
Many of us in the rest of the country probably consider the California DMV's rules to be both weird and gestapo-like, but I would find it hard to understand how a DMV clerk could decide that a title from another state or an official letter sent by a car manufacturer to the Calif DMV wasn't valid. They should have to prove why it's not good enough.

Thanks To the copies you sent me, I finally received my plates from the DMV today! Woohoo!!!!

63 R2 Hawk
10-04-2016, 10:33 PM
Years ago before I escaped from California, I bought an old '36 Ford that had passed several "owners" without benefit of ever being re-registered by any of them. Walked into the local DMV with a big wad of bills of sale, title transfer requests and a "pink slip" from the first of the 5 or 6 "owners". The DMV clerk gave me a stink-eye look and told me I had to get each "owner" to sign off the pink and jump through a bunch of other hoops and fees. I took all the paper back and said I would do all that. Removed everything except the pink slip and first bill of sale, went to another DMV office and that clerk said "no problem, fill out a non-op form and pay for the new title & registration". Easy cheesy. I also had vehicles people gave me with no titles, went to the DMV-same clerk-with nothing but a plate and a bill of sale for $1 and got them registered. Of course, I haven't been in Cali for over 25 years now...

candbstudebakers
10-05-2016, 11:54 AM
Laws have been passed in past years that make it real easy to get old cars and trucks back into the system but you as owner need to know the laws in their books because most of the DMV people don't even open the books all they do is run the numbers in the computer and print out the fees, but when called on to open the book of get the supervisor then things change for the better, when I go in I take the pages from their book with me so they don't need to even look things up. They can not charge extra fees or back fees on cars over 25 years and is a classic, it is the law here in California.

Skip Lackie
10-05-2016, 03:53 PM
Thanks To the copies you sent me, I finally received my plates from the DMV today! Woohoo!!!!

Good. Glad to hear it. Hope you enjoy your truck.

studeclunker
10-05-2016, 05:41 PM

http://www.clipartkid.com/images/79/around-i-got-to-thinking-are-they-doing-the-happy-dance-at-work-dNUJbv-clipart.jpg

1oldtimer
10-08-2016, 05:20 AM
First rule here is ALWAYS try multiple DMV offices, second rule is know your Ca DMV laws (research) and third rule is NEVER, NEVER give them too much information (either paperwork or verbal). This is the place where being polite and acting dumb help you.

Warren,
The sounds horrible, I got my class A 8 or so years ago for work and I didn't need my S.S card ?!?!. Also when I bought the Lark from Arizona last year it went straight through the system without a second VIN verification.....they just looked at the door jamb.

So it's either go to a different DMV or pay a registration/title company.

55 56 PREZ 4D
10-08-2016, 01:50 PM
In reality, the Stude I brought in from Virginia went through with only 1 VIN.
I was told They needed to see the 2nd number.
I cleaned the frame, highlighted the number with chalk, got a flashlight and kneeling pad for the employee.
We walked outside, looked at the door lamb, I told her where the other number was.
She looked at me with a "Yeah, like I'm going to get on my Knees ?" look.
We went inside and completed the paperwork.

vetteson
10-11-2016, 02:49 PM
DMV's across the country are difficult, the irony is that they come up with so many ways to obfuscate or confuse people using regulations to protect themselves, they drive people to criminal behavior.....