Ron Hall Avanti featured on Hemmings Daily

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ron Hall Avanti featured on Hemmings Daily

Today's Hemmings Daily blog features the Ron Hall 200 MPH Avanti. This is great recognition and is very interesting reading. As a matter of special interest, this car is sponsored by the Canadian Avanti Owners Association at the Studebaker National Museum through their Adopt-a-Car program.

Stu Chapman

Right on, Stu; great exposure and a wonderful blog entry by Dan Strohl.

A million kudos to Chicago-area SDCer Ed George, Studebaker's point man and the driving force behind the marque's fine displays and presence at this prestigious event. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

https://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/...aded-to-mcacn/ I guess you mean this?
      "In the heart of Arkansas."
      Searcy, Arkansas
      1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
      1952 2R pickup

Comment

I just read the article written by my friend Daniel Stohl and it is a great tribute to Ron and his efforts to break 2000 mph at Bonneville. Each time I visit the SNM, I stop at this car and think about him and his efforts to reach the 2000mph goal. So glad to see the car is going to travel a bit so more people can hear and see this story along with some other great Studebaker automobiles. By the way, IMHO, this is another chapter in the Studebaker story just as are the Raymond Loewy Avanti prototypes that are also on display in the museum, sponsored by the Keystone Region who had a big hand in securing the fiances to make sure these cars were saved for future generations to see and admire.
        sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Originally posted by Avantidon View Post
          I just read the article written by my friend Daniel Stohl and it is a great tribute to Ron and his efforts to break 2000 mph at Bonneville. Each time I visit the SNM, I stop at this car and think about him and his efforts to reach the 2000mph goal. So glad to see the car is going to travel a bit so more people can hear and see this story along with some other great Studebaker automobiles. By the way, IMHO, this is another chapter in the Studebaker story just as are the Raymond Loewy Avanti prototypes that are also on display in the museum, sponsored by the Keystone Region who had a big hand in securing the fiances to make sure these cars were saved for future generations to see and admire.
          Wow, Don; 2000 MPH was one ambitious goal! <GGG> BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I saw the blog and agree, great piece. I remember when Ron was attempting the 200 mph goal. That made for some great TW reading! By all accounts he and his family were great folks too.

I sure wish I could get to the Chicago event (full name escapes me at the moment). Just a bit too far I think.
            Bill Pressler
            Kent, OH
            (formerly Greenville, PA)
            Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
            Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
            1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
            1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
            All are in Australia now

Comment

Jenny and I met Ron and Luanne at Nashville with the car in the lobby. We helped sell T Shirts and our chapter made a donation to his efforts. As ill as Ron was at times, he always had the Studebaker Spark. Their children were small at the time about the same age as our children. Any update on the family?

Bob Miles
              Tucson AZ

Comment

This brings back some good memories. I gave Ron some mundane input on fluid dynamics/air flow and sold t shirts for him at an SDC International. When I had sold most of the t shirts, there was somewhere else that I had to be, so I gave the remaining t shirts, with all of the cash proceeds inside, to Cathy to bring to Ron Hall. Cathy did not know Ron, so she asked for ID before she turned over the stuff to him. He couldn't understand this until he discovered the bunch of cash inside the remaining t shirts.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I fondly remember the late night phone calls from Ron discussing his efforts when we ran Expressly Avanti for Ed Reynolds.

R.I.P. our Friend. You sure did the Studebaker World proud!

JS
                  I was STUDEBAKER, when STUDEBAKER wasn't "KOOL".

Comment

I was going to post this under my favorite Turning Wheels cover , but i though i would post it here as it really is a nice photo of Ron's car.Click image for larger version

Name:	Ron_Hall's_avanti.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	116.0 KB
ID:	1709242

Comment

Originally posted by bison View Post
                      I was going to post this under my favorite Turning Wheels cover , but i though i would post it here as it really is a nice photo of Ron's car.[ATTACH=CONFIG]58662[/ATTACH]
                      That is truly a fantastic picture. That stance is how all Avantis should sit.

I had the pleasure of visiting the salt flats last summer. It was early in the year for the salt so we did not drive on it. It was a wonderful feeling though standing there and looking out over the salt at the mountains in the background like I have seen in so many pictures over the years taken during speed week.

I ran into a man from England and chatted with him a good while about cars and racing.
                      Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Ron was indeed an interesting guy. After he got close to 200; we were at a SDC Zone Meet (Lisle, IL?) and he was worried how he was to fasten the two angle irons to the roof of his Avanti (a Salt requirement for stability above 200). I also remember the early morning call I got from Ron after he topped the 200 mark. He was on cloud 9... and put me there as well! I also helped sell T-shirts and remember how heavy that darn fiberglass hood, was hauling it from one end of a nameless hotel to another after we sold out of shirts.
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	Ron Hall's Avanti1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	15.4 KB
ID:	1709246

Comment

I've got a T shirt and my name is on the hood. Had a chance to sign at the Las Vegas IM.
                          Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
                          50 Champion 2 door*
                          53 Commander K Auto*
                          53 Commander K overdrive*
                          55 President Speedster
                          62 GT 4Speed*
                          63 Avanti R1*
                          64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

That cover photo is a great one ! In 89, Ron was at the meet in Nashville, TN where we were members at the time, and offered this 11 X 14 signed copy to the club at a fund raising auction. I feel like I am still the winner ! He was a real gentleman to talk with, told us a few things about our Avanti that we had at the time, including info about the Gabriel shocks we needed. We've had this photo on our wall at each of the 4 homes we've had since.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by j.byrd View Post
                              That cover photo is a great one ! In 89, Ron was at the meet in Nashville, TN
                              If you are referring to the SDC International Convention in Nashville, Tenn., I believe that was in 1992.
                              Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                              X