PDA

View Full Version : New Studebaker V8 Cast Aluminum Intake Manifold From Ken Evans (9/20160)

DEEPNHOCK
09-20-2016, 01:06 PM
Ken Evans has started producing a new cast aluminum single plane 4bbl intake manifold.
Available now.
I have made arrangements to help Ken and offer these intakes to the Studebaker world.
Sells for $599.00 plus shipping cost.

Ready to install.
Contact me for purchase info, and availability.
Quantities are limited.

An intake installation kit is also available.
Heat insulated carb gasket, composite intake gaskets, stainless steel heat crossover block off plates (to protect the gaskets),
Stainless steel carb mount studs, and stainless steel flange nuts.
Install kit is $50.00

PayPal accepted.

This is a single plane, open plenum intake manifold.
Best suited for a fresh, slightly modified engine, or a performance engine.
If you just slap this on a stock 259, you will notice some off idle laziness.

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j54/deepnhock/Ken%20Evans%20Intake%20Manifold/160919%20-%20Ken%20Evans%20Intake%20B_zpsta6g2mse.jpg

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j54/deepnhock/Ken%20Evans%20Intake%20Manifold/160919%20-%20Ken%20Evans%20Intake%20C_zpstpm7t2rk.jpg

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j54/deepnhock/Ken%20Evans%20Intake%20Manifold/160919%20-%20Ken%20Evans%20Intake%20A_zps3o5grh1e.jpg

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j54/deepnhock/Ken%20Evans%20Intake%20Manifold/160919%20-%20Ken%20Evans%20Intake%20D_zpski1bxb8p.jpg

Silverplate
09-20-2016, 02:20 PM
It's certainly a beautiful piece of work!

StudeRich
09-20-2016, 04:17 PM
Very nice looking Manifold. :!:

The Runner length, Plenum size and overall design looks close to stock, so would there be any flow improvement, or are they just for weight saving and looks?

Chris Pile
09-20-2016, 05:04 PM
Very cool piece.

cultural infidel
09-20-2016, 05:22 PM
Been watching his progress with these on Facebook. Very nice piece indeed

what huh
09-20-2016, 06:10 PM

The Runner length, Plenum size and overall design looks close to stock, so would there be any flow improvement, or are they just for weight saving and looks?

I am interested in this question as well

Mike Van Veghten
09-20-2016, 06:20 PM
Overall, my thought's...not bad.

Yes, I'd be willing to bet that it works much better than the iron OEM/R1 manifold. And yea, not an ounce extra material anywhere..!
While there's a few sharp corners that "need" rounding, the plenum design (mostly) even's out the short to long runners to a better match. While not a "race" manifold, it should do well just as Jeff states, warmed up to upper mid-performance engines should do well with it.

To those buying it...it will most likely take a jet change and possibly an accelerator pump increase to gain the biggest benefit.

For what it's worth, one's saved in my name.

Mike

JRoberts
09-20-2016, 06:25 PM
Certainly does look nice.

JoeHall
09-20-2016, 08:34 PM
If I had not swapped everything over to EFI, I'd be interested in one of these.

41 Frank
09-20-2016, 08:40 PM
Is this manifold much taller than the factory one? If it is ,how much taller? If it is much taller it would not work on my slightly warmed over R-2 I'm thinkin'

DEEPNHOCK
09-20-2016, 09:49 PM
Great question!
It is available in two heights. 1 5/8 or 1 7/8 taller than stock cast iron intake. Your choice.
We are in the process of flow testing the intake on a known flow bench that has been used to flow test most of my conversion intakes.
I don't have the plenum volume right now, but will be getting it.
Runner size is the same dimensions as the Stude port.
Basically, this is a copy of the Mopar 'Torker' intake. This intake has a great reputation in the intake world.
There will be additional benchmarking when I get the first issue into capable hands.
More to come....

Is this manifold much taller than the factory one? If it is ,how much taller? If it is much taller it would not work on my slightly warmed over R-2 I'm thinkin'

DEEPNHOCK
09-20-2016, 09:52 PM
Very good question to ask.
I purchased number one just to benchmark it and do some quality evaluation tests (flowbench,etc).
It is nice looking, indeed.
I think it has great potential.

StudebakerGene
09-21-2016, 10:02 AM

Jeff, definitely interested to see how it flows against yours. I have been so pleased with the performance with the one I got from you, It ain't as pretty as yours --- keep us posted!

52-fan
09-21-2016, 10:07 AM
Like many others, I have long wondered when someone would offer a modern Studebaker intake using some of the new technology. I would be happy with one of Jeff Rice's modified manifolds or the Evans one, but my car needs lots of other things more. I hope they stay available for a while.

Mike Van Veghten
09-21-2016, 11:14 AM
52fan -

Get them while they last, put it on the shelf.
That way you don't loose out..!

I had many asking me about the roller cams and gear drives long after they all were all sold.

Mike

colt45sa
09-21-2016, 03:04 PM
The EFI throttle body should mount right up on this manifold and give you much improved air flow~!

colt45sa
09-21-2016, 03:28 PM
With all the Studebaker V-8's out there and with so many folks looking to upgrade the performance a bit, why in the world would anyone go thru the trouble of making a single plane manifold?? We all know that a single plane needs rpm's to get it working while the lower rpm's get soggy. I would think that the market would be much bigger for a well designed great flowing dual-plane manifold with several bolt-on tops for a square bore WCFB, a wider bore AFB, or a square bore Holley. Remember the 'Smokey Ram'~?

DEEPNHOCK
09-21-2016, 04:14 PM
I am going to play devil's advocate here.
"We all know" is a statement made a lot, but with little backup.
Making a manifold from scratch is not for the feint of heart.
Especially when it comes to the application.
The most simple design, from a manufacturing point of view, is an open plenum single plane intake.
Ken started with a single plane to work out the logistics of CAD design. mold building, foundry turnaround, and finish machining.
Multi piece sand molds are complicated and expensive.
Let's cut Ken some forum slack and just see what this manifold does.
Some great feedback and actual usage info might spur him on to make more, and different intake manifolds.
Until then..... Here's a challenge.
Let's see what the forum participants can come up with.
Richard? You started with this comment. How about helping Ken with some design ideas and CAD work?
Let's see what we can come up with.

With all the Studebaker V-8's out there and with so many folks looking to upgrade the performance a bit, why in the world would anyone go thru the trouble of making a single plane manifold?? We all know that a single plane needs rpm's to get it working while the lower rpm's get soggy. I would think that the market would be much bigger for a well designed great flowing dual-plane manifold with several bolt-on tops for a square bore WCFB, a wider bore AFB, or a square bore Holley. Remember the 'Smokey Ram'~?

DEEPNHOCK
09-21-2016, 04:28 PM
Richard, The Smokey ram was a high RPM intake manifold.
Even higher than today's stuff. But I like the way you are thinking..
(opinion) Removable and interchangeable tops mean compromises from day one.
The plenum volume has to be quite large to accommodate all the plate combinations, and plenum volume kills low end carb signal.
Now, someone else here mentioned EFI, so the plenum volume does not affect an EFI unit.
But it does affect the wet fuel situation. (Fuel falling out of suspension and puddlng, or lining the intake runner walls).
Small plenum volume, smaller runner sizes all help velocity, not just total flow.
And besides...
You can get a nice dual plane intake right now. Bolt it on... Go have fun. Satin, or polished.

<snip>
I would think that the market would be much bigger for a well designed great flowing dual-plane manifold with several bolt-on tops for a square bore WCFB, a wider bore AFB, or a square bore Holley. Remember the 'Smokey Ram'~?

DEEPNHOCK
09-21-2016, 04:32 PM
How does a throttle body increase air flow? Just curious.
And... a throttle body requires injectors in the runners.
Those bosses could be included in a later design, should one want to go that way.
(and the injector spacing could be set to use an off the shelf fuel log)

The EFI throttle body should mount right up on this manifold and give you much improved air flow~!

Mike Van Veghten
09-21-2016, 06:10 PM
The Smokie Ram is also a cross ram manifold..! Or a laid down tunnel ram.

colt45 -
Plus...the above intake...the plenum is VERY small comparatively speaking. Need to brush up your design knowledge a little more.

Mike

j.byrd
09-21-2016, 07:23 PM
DEEPINHOCK and Mike Van Veghten, I had an old 260 Falcon that had a bigger cam, bored out a bit with flat top pistons, and not much else except a 4:57 gear and a 4 speed. When I got it, it had an old Offy 360 intake and a small Holley...in the two classes I was running on weekends, I ran it as is, then bolted on a 2 barrel adapter and ran an Autolite carb for a lower classification class. There really wasn't much difference in performance. I took the manifold off later and put it on a 289 that I had been running my "Cobra" intake from Ford on. I really liked the 360 better all around, and perhaps it was because of the gears, but it seems like the 360 design was a pretty darn good one to me. Any comment about how mine may have differed from Ken's ? Just wondering and thinking here.... and yes, DEEPINHOCK, I will still be getting with you after a bit more scoping out/checking/tuning/adjusting of our "new" 55's engine...thanks guys !

SN-60
09-21-2016, 07:29 PM

I was thinking the same thing....also, the apparent height of this intake would rule out fitting it under an Avanti, or '53-'55 C/K hood! :(

Alan
09-21-2016, 09:16 PM
I will let you know in a week or so when I get mine. But from my experience it will fit a 53K, since the 232 2 BBL intakes were quite tall. The Avanti, we will find out.

DEEPNHOCK
09-21-2016, 10:12 PM
If height is a critical issue, I also make a 'low profile' intake that will fit an Avanti and the hood will close.
Jack Heidle is running one on his land speed 259 Avanti and it works well for him.

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j54/deepnhock/Studebaker%20V8%20Low%20Profile%20Aluminum%20Intake%20Manifold/160512%20Low%20Profile%20Stude%20Intake%2011_zps0303dzyp.jpg

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j54/deepnhock/Studebaker%20V8%20Low%20Profile%20Aluminum%20Intake%20Manifold/160512%20Low%20Profile%20Stude%20Intake%204_zpsi5fm2ltv.jpg

SN-60
09-21-2016, 11:08 PM
I will let you know in a week or so when I get mine. But from my experience it will fit a 53K, since the 232 2 BBL intakes were quite tall. The Avanti, we will find out.

Good luck with that!...Yes, the 2bbl factory intakes were fairly tall, which is why Stude used a 'backdraft' carb and 'off to the side' air cleaner on the '53-'55 C/K's!.....With a 'downdraft' 4bbl carb (and top mounted air cleaner) on this Evans manifold well, once again, GOOD LUCK WITH THAT!!

DEEPNHOCK
09-22-2016, 12:29 PM
9/22/2016

Just an FYI

There are only two 'high' intakes left from the first batch.
It will be 8 to 10 weeks before any more will be available.

Buzzard
09-22-2016, 01:00 PM
Jeff,
The Evans unit looks terrific but for what I'm thinking of doing, I too think a dual plane, lower RPM range would be more in order. I see that the manifolds you are fabbing up will take Q-jets (or Holley direct replacements) <small primaries, larger secondaries> which I've had great success with. Who's manufacture are you starting with as those manifolds look great. Have you got any more information as I'm real interested? The one pictured in Post# 25 appears to be single plane but I'm sure you must have experimented with dual planes as well. Thanks for your contribution to those of us interested in the performance of our marque.
Bill

Mike Sal
09-22-2016, 01:41 PM
It's great this project is being done. Personally, I'd like to see a replica of the stock manifold in aluminum for all of us who are not so interested in performance as we are in getting some extra weight off the front springs of the car.
Mike Sal

DEEPNHOCK
09-22-2016, 03:05 PM
Jeff,
<snip>
I see that the manifolds you are fabbing up will take Q-jets (or Holley direct replacements) <small primaries, larger secondaries> which I've had great success with. Who's manufacture are you starting with as those manifolds look great.

Basically, they are an Edelbrock air gap dual plane intake.
This intake has been copied and is being sold under a half dozen brand names.
I buy them when there is a deal, to save the cost to the consumer.

Have you got any more information as I'm real interested?

Sure thing. Send me a PM and I'll answer any questions I can...

The one pictured in Post# 25 appears to be single plane but I'm sure you must have experimented with dual planes as well.

That is a Holley Street Dominator single plane intake.
I chose it because it is very low at the carb mount, and has nice sweeping curves so the runners enter the heads at the best angle.

Thanks for your contribution to those of us interested in the performance of our marque.
Bill

No sweat Bill... Just trying to mess up my retirement years:rolleyes::rolleyes:

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j54/deepnhock/Deep-N-Hock%20Studebaker%20Intake%20Manifolds/IMG_2661_zpsad07f7ba.jpg

DEEPNHOCK
09-22-2016, 03:15 PM
Find an old Lionel Stone aluminum intake and you're all set.
It's just a copy of the Stude cast iron AFB.

It's great this project is being done. Personally, I'd like to see a replica of the stock manifold in aluminum for all of us who are not so interested in performance as we are in getting some extra weight off the front springs of the car.
Mike Sal

wittsend
09-22-2016, 03:17 PM
It may seem logical that a dual plane intake would fit a larger group of Studebaker users however the casting of such a manifold would seem considerably more complicated. And, as many have found with the Edelbrock Performer dual plane manifolds the increase is marginal over a stock intake. While I do not know, I'd assume the motivation for this project was performance inspired. And if so then the personal choice of the designer. Lastly when the Edelbrock Torquer, Holley Dominator etc. type single plane manifold became popular in the 70's people did use dividers that helped to "tune" the manifold. So, there is that aspect that might be beneficial. Common sense says to wait for feedback from those who will use it before writing it off on initial design alone.

If the interest is just getting weight off the front springs (motivation for an aluminum manifold) transferring the battery to the trunk is significantly cheaper, improves traction and likely moves more weight than an aluminum intake would.

Mike Van Veghten
09-22-2016, 03:36 PM
To those that think this is a an overly hi-performance or race manifold need to look at the whole design..!

While yes, it is a single plane design, the plenum chamber is probably about 1/2 the size of a normal race oriented single plane plenum design. See those two huge triangles inside the plenum, they take up a LOT of volume. So in reality, the loss in signal to the carburetor ventures is very minimal over a full open plenum design.
This is not a race manifold, and Jeff, correct me if I'm wrong...I don't think it was designed as one.

What I see, is a manifold for those who like to "drive" their cars. Meaning, not just tooling around town, or going to the local car gathering. It's for those with some cylinder head porting, R2 intake valves, an R2/R2+ cam, a little more than stock compression. It's for those that like to push the gas pedal while getting on the freeway, for the occasional run on the drag strip, for those that like the feeling they get when hitting the throttle hard and being pushed back in the set a bit harder than normal.
And...it could be for those wanting to rid themselves of a bunch of weight, also for the "different" factor, without much if "any" sacrifice in low speed performance.

The way this was done, the throttle response should still be very good. Those big triangle sections in the plenum are there to make it more performance oriented vs. race oriented. They both decrease the plenum volume and to help make all eight of the runners closer to the same length.
All good for part throttle performance.

Mike

P.S. - And no...Jeff's not paying me to say any of this..!

DEEPNHOCK
09-22-2016, 04:37 PM
The sidelines are a great place to sit to watch others play the game.
We'll get some feedback on Ken's intake soon enough.

<snip>
Common sense says to wait for feedback from those who will use it before writing it off on initial design alone.

DEEPNHOCK
09-22-2016, 04:46 PM
That is a great point, Mike.
The intake is only one piece of the combination.
To get maximum mileage, or street performance, or race performance, your components need to work together.
Just jammimg a big carb on there will hurt, rather than nelp.
A great manifold will be limited if the heads are marginal.

An engine is an air pump.
If you can increase the volume of air that gets pushed into the engine...
(and ALL engines get air pushed into them...even naturally aspirated engines).
The more air in...the more fuel you can add and burn, to make more power.
If the stock intake is a choke point because of its factory design, then a better one will free up some air and make more power.

Mike is right by saying it is the combination of items working together that helps the most.
And, no... He is not getting paid anything. Just the opposite.
He buys intakes from me just so he can yell at me.:whome:

To those that think this is a an overly hi-performance or race manifold need to look at the whole design..!
Mike

P.S. - And no...Jeff's not paying me to say any of this..!

StudebakerGene
09-22-2016, 05:18 PM

For everyone out there that thinks that you can just bolt on a big carburetor and larger aluminum manifold and get increased performance, I'll side with Jeff. Most times it ain't gonna gel. There has to be other components considered as the thread has unfolded, I.E. ported heads, electronic ignition, bumpier cam, better spark plug wires. I have the battle scars from my Champ to prove it as well as the performance! This R1 is very formidable with the upgrades that I did to it, but as the forum states, "you have to go all the way." I would never run the stock stuff again after my upgrades, there just too much difference but, "It ain't cheap." you can move all the batteries and weight you want off the nose and your still not gonna get the performance that a complete re-do will, and you get to keep it basically Studebaker. I've not had one non Studebaker person ask if that was a stock manifold, and you can't see the carburetor.

starliner62
09-22-2016, 06:43 PM
I'm gonna get my first one from Jeff, but I'm sure I'll need another.. Just like Lay's potato chips.........

SN-60
09-22-2016, 07:04 PM
Mike Sal

You should probably give Dave Thibeault a call for an aluminum 'dual plane' intake manifold...He offers intake manifolds with the normal 259-289 intake port size, and the much larger 'R3' port size!

If you're going to be driving your Studebaker on the street, especially in colder temps, you definitely want a 'dual plane' intake manifold! ;)

DEEPNHOCK
09-22-2016, 08:50 PM
FYI.
T-bolt has no Lionel Stone R1/R2 aluminum intakes.
He has never reproduced them, either.
He has no reproduction R3 intakes.
He 'might' have one original aluminum R3 intake.

Quentin
09-23-2016, 10:56 AM
Great question!
It is available in two heights. 1 5/8 or 1 7/8 taller than stock cast iron intake. Your choice.
More to come....

Great work, and I am interested. However, it is difficult to judge hood to air cleaner clearance when I contort myself whilst trying to look under the hood. (As I close the heavy and unwieldy item, there is a grille provided deliberately to obscure my viewing!)......... Question for Jeff and Ken is - Will the extra 1 5/8 or 1 and 7/8 height fit under the 63 Hawk hood without cutting an 'ole in it?? - "it" being my one and only hood???? Thanks, Quentin.

sweetolbob
09-23-2016, 12:03 PM
Great work, and I am interested. However, it is difficult to judge hood to air cleaner clearance when I contort myself whilst trying to look under the hood. (As I close the heavy and unwieldy item, there is a grille provided deliberately to obscure my viewing!)......... Question for Jeff and Ken is - Will the extra 1 5/8 or 1 and 7/8 height fit under the 63 Hawk hood without cutting an 'ole in it?? - "it" being my one and only hood???? Thanks, Quentin.

As a thought, tape 2" high pieces of foam to the highest points on the air cleaner. Add two sided tape on the top. Close the hood carefully and see if anything sticks. If not you should be good to go. Just a variation on the old modeling clay trick.

Bob (not Jeff or Ken however);)

colt45sa
09-23-2016, 02:00 PM
How does a throttle body increase air flow? Just curious.
And... a throttle body requires injectors in the runners.
Those bosses could be included in a later design, should one want to go that way.
(and the injector spacing could be set to use an off the shelf fuel log)
That didn't come across correctly. It would increase the volume of the air flow but not the velocity of that flow. EFI by itself does nothing to increase air flow. I was merely stating that his installing EFI should not prevent him from considering one of these manifolds, especially of he is considering cranking out revs. I'm not thinking that one should consider wringing 7000 rpm from his Studebaker, but a single plane manifold is certainly enables an engine to rev higher than a dual plane. Combining that with the EFI and the benefits that come with a correctly programmed ECU would provide better top end 'scoot'.

colt45sa
09-23-2016, 02:21 PM
The Smokie Ram is also a cross ram manifold..! Or a laid down tunnel ram.

colt45 -
Plus...the above intake...the plenum is VERY small comparatively speaking. Need to brush up your design knowledge a little more.

Mike Well thanks for the suggestion. I've read everything Smokey ever wrote at least twice and I've been fooling with cars since the late 60's I am not a designer and don't claim to be. I generally defer to the knowledge of those who have 'been there, done that', and Smoke is a guru to me. My reason for chiming in on this thread related to the fact that most of us Studebaker owners have no plans to head for the drag strip and cranking the revs out of our cars, and therefore would find a well designed dual plane far more interesting and would also create a much larger potential customer base for the guy. I am always pleased to receive comments from knowledgeable and positive Studebaker people. So thanks again. Maybe after 55 years of fooling with older cars, I should heed your advice, spend more time 'brushing up on my design knowledge', and stop posting on the site.

DEEPNHOCK
09-23-2016, 02:30 PM
No sweat Richard... Any knowledge gained is a good thing.
I have the matched set of Smokey Yunick's books and they are quite a read.

Well thanks for the suggestion. I've read everything Smokey ever wrote at least twice and I've been fooling with cars since the late 60's I am not a designer and don't claim to be. I generally defer to the knowledge of those who have 'been there, done that', and Smoke is a guru to me. My reason for chiming in on this thread related to the fact that most of us Studebaker owners have no plans to head for the drag strip and cranking the revs out of our cars, and therefore would find a well designed dual plane far more interesting and would also create a much larger potential customer base for the guy. I am always pleased to receive comments from knowledgeable and positive Studebaker people. So thanks again. Maybe after 55 years of fooling with older cars, I should heed your advice, spend more time 'brushing up on my design knowledge', and stop posting on the site.

Mike Van Veghten
09-24-2016, 01:34 AM
Ahh yes...the book reading...with no (or little) real world experience.

Seems some really don't understand the design of the dual plane vs. a single plane.
This would include "how" the various manifolds are designed. Just cause it looks like a big dog, doesn't mean it's a wolf.
Think about that one for a minute.

I hinted at, that this may not be a manifold for a pure stock Stude engine that never reaches 4000 rpm. BUT...it's also not a "race" manifold either. It's really not even super high performance manifold. Just because it's a dreaded...single plane manifold, its plenum is very small. Some of you complaining don't seem to understand the idea behind the design.

Buy one or not, but stop putting down something you apparently really don't understand.

I'm out.
Jeff...sorry if I messed with your thread.

Mike

colt45sa
09-24-2016, 11:44 AM
No sweat Richard... Any knowledge gained is a good thing.
I have the matched set of Smokey Yunick's books and they are quite a read.
Do you have any idea how hard those books are to find~?? Back to name calling~'you're a lucky dog~!' I've only got the one of the hardbounds.

showbizkid
09-24-2016, 06:25 PM
I have cleaned this thread of contentiousness. Please behave. Further jousting will be like pouring your gasoline on my hot coals.

clonelark
09-24-2016, 06:51 PM
I ran a streetmaster intake on my 1934 chevrolet street rod for years, it was a single plane manifold and it worked fine all year round, i did have a 5800 Rpm cam in it with shorty exhaust manifolds basically a stock 327 engine. I ran a 3:00 gear on the street and a 4:62 gear on the strip, i had a posi 8" Ford rear end in it, so i could change gears in about 30 minutes. it ran in the 13s all day long. I wouldn't hesitate putting one of these Evans manifolds on my car for a second.

http://i63.tinypic.com/okboms.jpg

Xcalibur
09-25-2016, 12:04 AM
No doubt a beautiful piece and a lot of work... but, the "V"-shaped obstructions (in the original one posted) simply do not look like a good idea. Interestingly, they are gone in the second, lower one, more in keeping with current X-brands for sale.

Bish
09-25-2016, 07:31 AM
Gahhhhhh! Please, no more overuse of the word "basically"!

Dan Timberlake
09-25-2016, 09:03 AM
The original Commando 273 V8 in Barracudas and Darts had a single plane manifold among the other factory go-fast parts.
Manifold in the middle here -

http://i727.photobucket.com/albums/ww275/66fs/273intakes001.jpg

Nice and low too.
http://i727.photobucket.com/albums/ww275/66fs/273intakes006.jpg

DEEPNHOCK
09-25-2016, 10:01 AM
Now that is funny....:D
There were three post's that used the word basically (three different people).
It was repeated in some quotes, and then you used it..
Then I used it and repeated it in a quote....Uh oh...:eek:

Gahhhhhh! Where will it end!! (Let's just say 'belly button motor' ...or ZDDP instead):D

Gahhhhhh! Please, no more overuse of the word "basically"!

clonelark
09-25-2016, 10:06 PM
I have a strange 318 intake that would be great on a 224/232 or 259 Studebaker, notice how much smaller the plenum is compared to the one in the above post.http://i65.tinypic.com/23rs8r5.jpg

DEEPNHOCK
09-26-2016, 06:56 AM
I have one of those...half done.
You would have to run that with adapter plates instead of milling off the mopar, and putting new flange plates on it.
When it is angle milled, the bottom of the runners are almost entirely exposed.
Runner curve is so severe that the intake flange plates would have to have angled entries to catch the runner curve.
That would mean a 'jog' at the head entry point that could hurt air flow.
A welding nightmare.
Not saying it wouldn't work, but saying it is a fabrication challenge.
Here's a pic...
I'll finish it if someone is interested....

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j54/deepnhock/Studebaker%20V8%20Edelbrock%20Street%20Master%20Intake/Edelbrock%20Street%20Master%20Intake%20Project%205_zps3j1fd42l.jpg

I have a strange 318 intake that would be great on a 224/232 or 259 Studebaker, notice how much smaller the plenum is compared to the one in the above post.

colt45sa
09-26-2016, 10:56 AM
Ahh yes...the book reading...with no (or little) real world experience.

Seems some really don't understand the design of the dual plane vs. a single plane.
This would include "how" the various manifolds are designed. Just cause it looks like a big dog, doesn't mean it's a wolf.
Think about that one for a minute.

I hinted at, that this may not be a manifold for a pure stock Stude engine that never reaches 4000 rpm. BUT...it's also not a "race" manifold either. It's really not even super high performance manifold. Just because it's a dreaded...single plane manifold, its plenum is very small. Some of you complaining don't seem to understand the idea behind the design.

Buy one or not, but stop putting down something you apparently really don't understand.

I'm out.
Jeff...sorry if I messed with your thread.

Mike

Your comment paints you as one who does not believe in reading. Reading provides knowledge gained from those who have experience at what you might want to attempt. Reading will guide you through potential pitfalls and help you avoid making mistakes that others have already made. Reading provides information that enables one to discuss a subject with some degree of understanding and ask intelligent questions. I read this forum regularly and have acquired considerable knowledge about Studebakers that is not readily available from any other source. Reading is a good thing~!

sgriggs
09-26-2016, 09:24 PM
I'm glad that folks are stepping up to build new speed parts for the Stude V8. There is such a dearth of options to make the engine breathe better and reduce weight. I think the custom intakes that Jeff builds are fantastic and I look forward to seeing the flow numbers from the new Evans manifold. Hopefully, some day we will have widely-available and affordable ported heads that don't cost an arm and a leg :-).

64Avanti
09-26-2016, 10:01 PM
Find an old Lionel Stone aluminum intake and you're all set.
It's just a copy of the Stude cast iron AFB.

The "Lionel Stone" intake manifold was not a copy of Stude cast iron AFB, it was built with the Studebaker R3 patterns. It was also available with modified ports for standard heads.

DEEPNHOCK
09-26-2016, 10:04 PM
I stand corrected.
Having repaired a bunch of L/S intakes over the years, and having several 'AFB' Stude cast iron (R1/2) intakes...
I don't see much design difference between the two, other than material.

The "Lionel Stone" intake manifold was not a copy of Stude cast iron AFB, it was built with the Studebaker R3 patterns. It was also available with modified ports for standard heads.

DEEPNHOCK
09-26-2016, 10:15 PM
Tom has one of the new Evans intakes at his place now.
When he is feeling a bit better he will be doing an analysis of it and do some flow bench baseline testing.

Tom has tested many Stude intake manifolds, and heads, on his flow bench and his knowledge of interpreting
flow numbers and real world performance is very good.
I look forward to learning from him.

Thanks, Tom!

SN-60
09-26-2016, 11:26 PM

Dave Thibeault was/is also producing these aluminum R3 type intake manifolds in both R3 and standard port sizes...also 'R4' type dual quad manifolds in both port sizes.

We've seen these products for sale on his vendor's table at shows, and in ads many, many times in the past years.

Call Dave or Janet at... 978-897-3158 (Mass)...(before 7PM EST) :!:

wittsend
09-26-2016, 11:31 PM
I have a strange 318 intake that would be great on a 224/232 or 259 Studebaker, notice how much smaller the plenum is compared to the one in the above post.http://i65.tinypic.com/23rs8r5.jpg

And the irony..., that single plane manifold is called a "Streetmaster." I had one on a 318 too. Can't say I noticed much, if any, difference over the factory 2 bbl.

64Avanti
09-27-2016, 03:08 AM
I stand corrected.
Having repaired a bunch of L/S intakes over the years, and having several 'AFB' Stude cast iron (R1/2) intakes...
I don't see much design difference between the two, other than material.

Jeff of course it is very similar to the standard AFB manifold but with larger ports. If you had a cast iron one sitting on a bench you wouldn't even notice that it was an R3 manifold. (Yes there were some cast iron R3 manifolds made by Studebaker.)

By the way those other R3 manifolds in last number of years were not coming from two sources.

Buzzard
09-27-2016, 11:53 AM
Do the molds still exist for the standard port heads in R4 Dual Quad configuration? Mine was procured around 1971 from Chris Banke at Stu-V in California. They probably don't perform as well as Jeff's products, but do look period correct with the AC Aircleaner(Same as Chevy Dual Quad setup).
Bill

SN-60
09-27-2016, 07:28 PM
Do the molds still exist for the standard port heads in R4 Dual Quad configuration?

Yes, apparently there's a small foundry here in Massachusetts that has them.

Buzzard
09-27-2016, 09:28 PM
HI SN-60,
Have you got any contact information?
Thanks, Bill

3x2stude
10-03-2016, 11:06 PM
I got mine mounted today but it will be a while before I fire it up. :) I am a Stude speed part junkie and this fixed the need for now. It will probably go on my 61 4-speed Hawk in the spring. Thinking of a Edelbrock 500 CFM with a SI re-pop air cleaner to fit.58871

JK

Skybolt
10-04-2016, 12:34 AM
What ever is said and done I am glad someone is making something new. We may not all agree on how it was executed but not many parts are ever left alone as is. I, for one, will wait and see how the tests go and use the manifold accordingly. Nothing is wrong unless it's used for the wrong purpose.

Len

DEEPNHOCK
10-04-2016, 07:02 AM
Tom C. has done the preliminary flow bench testing on this new offering, and it looks promising.
As with any new part, there 'might' be some areas where some gains can be made.
I gave Tom C. carte blanche to do what he thinks will help, and he will run his tests again...as well as run it on his engine(s).

11SecAvanti
10-04-2016, 09:07 AM
Have test fired the Evans intake on my 259 test stand engine yesterday evening. Will host a video later. (tom c)

Buzzard
10-04-2016, 12:28 PM
Keep up the great work guys! I'm all ears.
Bill

11SecAvanti
10-04-2016, 09:01 PM
Ok, here is the video link on the Engine Start and Run Test for the new Evans Studebaker Intake. It weighs 9.5 lbs, well cast and machined. Test engine is Pure Stock 259 from my former 61 Lark race car. (RIP)

https://youtu.be/AE5bi0zA94s

drrotor
10-05-2016, 01:51 AM
I use Silly Putty (you can get it at Toys R Us). You can use it to check for hood clearance to carburetor or air cleaner.

Buzzard
10-05-2016, 11:44 AM
11SecAvanti,
Thanks for posting your video progress. I can hardly wait for your performance results.
Bill

(S)
10-10-2018, 07:13 PM
It sounds like the 'Tall' may fit a 1963 R2 Lark? Any of these left? Thanks

shifter4
10-10-2018, 08:06 PM
It sounds like the 'Tall' may fit a 1963 R2 Lark? Any of these left? Thanks

Here is the current ad on eBay for them. It is 1 5/8 " taller than stock , so......?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Studebaker-Aluminum-Intake-manifold-NEW-Production-/183468958693

Here is mine on my car :

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2865/33607197002_b77fd2afd8_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/TcKEP5)Evans on Skeet 1 (https://flic.kr/p/TcKEP5) by Bill H (https://www.flickr.com/photos/hollyhillbill289/), on Flickr

And here now , with a 1.5" spacer . ( I have room )

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4617/25773672527_5c9b610c1e_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/FgwNUg)Linkage for 1.5&quot; spacer (https://flic.kr/p/FgwNUg) by Bill H (https://www.flickr.com/photos/hollyhillbill289/), on Flickr

It works well. Nicely made . Very light .

(S)
10-10-2018, 10:09 PM
Thanks. I saw the one on Ebay, but not much info. I'm thinking this would be fine- unless they got a different one working better yet?