Dynamat on doors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interior: Dynamat on doors?

I am thinking of using a sound deadening type material on the interior of my car. When it comes to the doors, I know you can put the material on the metal part of the interior of the doors, but was wondering if there was any disadvantage to putting the sound deadening material on the cardboard side of the upholstered door panel and then put that back on the door. The only down side I can think of is that there might not be enough room for the sound deadening when you put the panel back on to the door. This is on a 64 Cruiser.

Thoughts?

Mark

How thick is the Material ?
    Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Here's their door kit.

Dynamat Extreme is the original sound proof matting to enhance your vehicles noise control. Reduce noise and vibrations in your car or truck.

Dynamat Xtreme Door Kit
      Xtreme Door Kit Front No BackDynamat Xtreme Door Kit
      When driving, the body panels of your vehicle vibrate and create noise. The faster you drive, the louder that noise will be. At 70 mph, a typical automotive noise level reaches 85 dB. This will interfere with the sounds inside your vehicle, like your stereo, cell phone calls and conversations by affecting the dynamic range of these sounds. If you want your music louder, you can turn up your stereo, but that only increases volume. It does not give you back the dynamic range you have lost. One of the main culprits of this noise is your vehicle’s doors. Without Dynamat Xtreme, vibrations resonate and echo through the hollow inner door cavity.

Since much of the noise that comes from the road enters through the doors, installing the Dynamat Xtreme Door Kit creates a sonic barrier that converts noise-causing vibration into silent energy. By reducing the road noise, the Dynamat Xtreme Door Kit can increase the dynamic range of the sounds in your car, which can effectively double your vehicle’s amplifying power! You get louder sound from your car’s audio and less annoying noise from outside your vehicle.

The Dynamat Xtreme Door Kit does not require any special equipment, so it is very simple to cut and install. It will conform easily to your vehicle’s inner and outer door skins, and the sticky butyl rubber will adhere and stay in place without any special surface prep. For best results, install the Dynamat Xtreme Door Kit with one of our Dynamat roller tools. Use the Dynamat Xtreme Door Kit on your doors to hear the Dynamat difference.

SKU: 10435
      Contents: (4) 12″ x 36″ (305mm x 914mm) pieces of Dynamat Xtreme. Kit includes enough material for two standard size doors. For proper installation, use one of our Dynaroller tools. Self-adhesive.
      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Mark,
        The inside of the door surface is sprayed with a sound deadened that is rather coarse and kind of looks like the first (scratch) coat of stucco on a house. While the Dynomat surface is rather tacky there could possibly be adhesion problems. Mine has chunked off in a few places so it might not be the best substrate to put Dynomat over. Then again it might be the Dynomat might help hold it all together. Being that I never got my replacement inner door panels made..., and installed..., your welcome to stop by and see what is inside the door to get a better idea of what you are dealing with.

My experience with older (60's) cars is that the rattles from the side windows and doors is probably greater than the droning that Dynomat would dampen. You car is obviously more refined than mine and lacks the louder performance exhaust mine has so maybe you are hearing sounds that get drowned out in my car.

Tom
        '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

The dynamat that I was thinking of using is 1/8" thick. As rather than putting it on the interior of the door skins, I was thinking of the cardboard interior panel that goes against the interior metal door skin. That way the sound deadened comes off with the panel and does not touch the metal.

Tom, will stop by once I get my car back. Rebuilding the engine...almost done.

Mark

Comment

This is how I attached mine.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Z2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	157.9 KB
ID:	1709209

The material on the doors is Dynamat Xtreme and it is awesome. The stuff on the floor is the Eastwood knockoff and it is crap. I can't recommend the Eastwood stuff to anyone. The Black Rubbery goo on the back is not firm enough and if you put it on a vertical surface like a door, all of the black sound deadening goo will eventually ooze out the bottom of the panel.

If I understand correctly, you are considering applying the Dynamat to the door panel and not the steel structure of the door. I don't think that will do any good. The way dynamat works is to deaden sound by taking the ringing out of the sheet metal. Since there is no ringing in the hardboard door panel, I don't think it would do any good.

Good Luck
            Wayne
            "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic

Comment

I used FatMat on my door panels. I can't tell if it makes a difference or not but I didn't have any issues with installing it and I think it adds a level of moisture protection to the cardboard panels, also makes the door sound more solid when it closes. It's been on there for over 6 years now and I've had the door panels off several times.

Comment

Bullet -

For the Dynamat/sound deadener to work properly, it "needs" to be secured to the offending panel(s). Putting it anywhere else will do little to no good.
                The door skin is what makes the noise, the door skin is where the sound deadener needs to be.
                Even applied to small vertical panels, it will help the overall sound deadening.

Mike

Comment

Has anyone ever sprayed the door shell interior with Lizard Skin?
                  Brad Johnson,
                  SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                  Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                  '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                  '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Thank you all for the input and education. The lizard skin sounds interesting. I will have to google that.

Mark

Comment

I appreciate this thread. All four doors of the ’55 President State Sedan were stripped down to the bare door and painted. I think it will be fairly easy to install a little bit of sound barrier on the outer skins. I may have to clean up the area a little better to make sure the Dynamat Extreme adheres well.

I have been doing some research for the past couple of hours and it appears that the outer skin can be positively affected to reduce road noise if approximately 50-60% of it can be covered. I am not interested in trying to improve speakers, etc. just cutting down on road noise. I am somewhat concerned about using anything on the floors. Rene did my carpet set and cautioned me that if I put in insulation the carpet may not fit as well as on the bare floor.

Charlie D.

Comment

When I was in high school I had a 55 Chevy 4 door and I brushed tar on the floor, then layed down two layers of tar paper, jute padding, then carpet, and that was probably the quietest car I'd ever been in. My friend said it was quieter than his dad's new Cadillac, and there was no smell from the tar and tar paper. It just had the new car smell from the new carpet and seat covers.

Comment

Charlie, Rene did the carpet for my Hawk and I had to add quite a bit of extra jute padding around the tunnel to get the carpet to fit well in that area. I know Rene works to original patterns so I have to assume that I didn't put something in the right place when I welded in the new floors. I seem to remember that you had to do some rust repair to your floors as well. Just be aware that the fit of the carpet is affected by how accurately the floor sheet metal was installed.
                          Wayne
                          "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic

Comment

When I installed new carpet in my Avanti a couple of years ago, I dynamated the entire floor area, kick panels and doors. Came out very nice.
                            Mike - Assistant Editor, Turning Wheels
                            Fort Worth, TX

Comment

I also installed DynaMat with DynaLiner on top of the DynaMat on the floor of our Avanti. Combined with changing out the noisy baffled mufflers to Magnaflows has really improved the interior experience.
                              Dean

CLEM

Comment

Working...
                              X