• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering: Making a 55 Sedan to drive like a later Stude 60-66

Click image for larger version

Name:	1954Studebaker_Land_Crusier.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	1751783I want to make a 55 sedan drive better, this 54 was converted using a rusted low mileage 64 Lark, he welded the top of the 54 steering shaft to the lark steering shaft to get the length right, he used a 54 steering wheel and column. it drove very nice. But i kinda dont trust a welded steering shaft.
    I have a 60 Lark parts car i can use that drove very nice. Would a 58 sedan column fit a 55 late sedan?
    101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

But i kinda dont trust a welded steering shaft.
    Your results may vary, but properly welded parts can be as strong or stronger than the original solid part. FWIW, in 1959, a long-time Stude expert owned my '56 Power Hawk. He reduced the lock-to-lock turns by welding together two Pitman arms to make one longer arm. It worked perfectly for fifty years and there's much more stress on a Pitman arm than the shaft.

If choosing a steering gear to modify, it's generally considered the Saginaw unit used in '63 and later Larks is the best Stude ever installed. I may have one somewhere if you need it.

Bottom line, if a steering shaft is welded by someone who knows how, especially if reinforced by a sleeve, no worries.

jack vines
    Last edited by PackardV8; 09-18-2016, 08:25 AM.
    PackardV8

Comment

The much improved recirculating ball steering box was introduced on the 1961 Larks.

Comment

Bob, I know you are asking about steering, but I did want to tell you what made a big difference in my '54 Champion sedan. I kept the early Saginaw steering box, just adjusted it per the shop manual and made sure it had the correct lube. Down the road I may put a later Saginaw recirculating ball box in it, but right now I'm happy with the older box.

Front springs were replaced with '62 Hawk springs, and new inner bushings installed. In the back, new main leafs were installed, along with an extra leaf between the main and the 2nd leaves. A '57 President rear sway bar was added to the back, and a '64 V8 sway bar and brackets in front. Gabriel gas shocks were used all the way around. Slightly wider Chrysler wheels and cheap Kumho radials were installed. Caster was set to maximum, and camber was set to some specs recommended in a forum post (post may have been by Jack Vines but don't remember for sure.) Oh yeah, '61 Hawk finned brakes with no booster were used, with the shoes properly arced to the drums.

I've been very happy with the driving and handling of this car. Yes, the ride is stiffer, a lot like my '64 full package GT Hawk. Probably the only thing I would do different is to use the later ('61 and up I think) front suspension parts to take advantage of the improvement built into them.
        Last edited by r1lark; 09-18-2016, 02:43 PM. Reason: Spellin' and other stupid fat finger mistakes
        Paul
        Winston-Salem, NC
        Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

Originally posted by r1lark View Post
          Bob, I know you are asking about steering, but I did want to tell you what made a big difference in my '54 Champion sedan. I kept the early Saginaw steering box, just adjusted it per the shop manual and made sure it had the correct lube. Down the road I may put a later Saginaw recirculating ball box in it, but right now I'm happy with the older box.

Front springs were replaced with '62 Hawk springs, and new inner bushings installed. In the back, new main leafs were installed, along with an extra leaf between the main and the 2nd leaves. A '57 President rear sway bar was added to the back, and a '64 V8 sway bar and brackets in front. Gabriel gas shocks were used all the way around. Slightly wider Chrysler wheels and cheap Kumho radials were installed. Caster was set to maximum, and camber was set to some specs recommended in a forum post (post may have been by Jack Vines but don't remember for sure. Oh yeah, '61 Hawk finned brakes with no booster were used, with the shoes properly arced to the drums.

I've been very happy with the driving and handling of this car. Yes, the ride is stiffer, a out like my '64 full package GT Hawk. Probably the only thing I would do different is to use the later ('61 and up I think) front suspension parts to take advantage of the improvement built into them.
          Agree, those would make for a nice driver. I'd use the Moog progressive front springs and definitely the '61 and later kingpins, as radials and higher speeds need additional caster.

jack vines
          PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
            Agree, those would make for a nice driver. I'd use the Moog progressive front springs and definitely the '61 and later kingpins, as radials and higher speeds need additional caster.

jack vines
            This is along the lines of what I was thinking. To make it drive like a 1961 (not 1960) - 1964, you would need to change the king pins and other suspension parts as well as the steering box. To make it drive like a 1965-1966, you would need to change these parts as well as the engine.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

How much additional caster does the '61 and up suspension parts allow? I know every bit helps, but it won't be like going from a Model T to a 'Vette.......... :-)
              Paul
              Winston-Salem, NC
              Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

When welding steering column shafts, be sure to pin it and weld it, have the welding done by an expert welder! Your life as well as others on the road is NOT worth going CASO on this!

Do it right!

Jim
                "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
                their Memorials!

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post

jack vines
                  If you find a source for the Moog cargo springs please let us know, as said in a prior thread recently--NLA.
                  Now looking for a new substitute. http://www.moog-suspension-parts.com/moog-cc655

Comment

Working...
                  X