Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for clutch operating shaft support bracket, 1961 Lark V8

Howdy,

Awhile back I was trying to sort out some weird gear grinding issues in my '61 Lark VIII Regal wagon, and I came to discover that the cup portion of the clutch operating shaft support bracket - the portion that the ball stud bolts to- was torn and affecting how the clutch shaft pivots. It cured the problem for a few months, but I noticed it creeping back, so I'm guessing it is tearing again. It doesn't seems to be available new, so I'm hoping some one here has one in good shape they would be willing to sell. I'm attaching a photo scan from the parts book, and I've circled the part I'm looking for in red.

Thanks!
    Dean

Click image for larger version

Name:	lark clutch linkage 001.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	1751774
    Dean Seavers
    Sacramento, CA

Since you have a parts manual , please post the part number.
    Most vendors stock their parts by part numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by rkapteyn View Post
      Since you have a parts manual , please post the part number.
      Most vendors stock their parts by part numbers.
      The part number is 1552540

Thanks,
      Dean
      Dean Seavers
      Sacramento, CA

Comment

Attention Fabricator Types:

There is a pretty Large need for the portion that breaks on these, if someone would make the flexible little square Plate of Spring Sheet Steel, these NLA Bracket Assemblies can easily be repaired!

There are VERY FEW, if Any of these much needed 1552540 Bracket Assemblies Left, because probably one of the largest Groups of Studes. on the Road today, fall into the '61 to '64 V8 Lark and Lark Type Range.

Definitely DO NOT throw these used, broken, Brackets away!
        Last edited by StudeRich; 09-17-2016, 07:01 PM.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I'm wondering if I can have a friend machine a cup and repair the bracket that way. Drill out the rivets, and then replace the torn cup with the machined version using machine screws.
          Dean Seavers
          Sacramento, CA

Comment

This bracket was also used on Avanti's
            There are different versions of the same bracket with the same flexible mounting strap for the pivot ball and the bell wit the 4 rivets.
            If you can locate an other version and remove the rivets and you can use small screws with locktite to replace your broken one.
            The flex plate ,bell and pivot seem to be the same through the years.

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...-Linkage-Issue.

Robert Kapteyn
            Last edited by rkapteyn; 09-18-2016, 06:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by voxnut View Post
              I'm wondering if I can have a friend machine a cup and repair the bracket that way. Drill out the rivets, and then replace the torn cup with the machined version using machine screws.
              This may help you.

This applies to Larks too ... and I think even the trucks and Hawks have a very similar part. The stamped shell broke and allowed the pivot bolted in the "D" shape hole to move about, rubbing the outer area and created noise and extra operation effort. The plan was to make it stronger, and welding is a temp fix. Here was what I was faced with when I took it apart : https://www.emperorjordan.com/sbca96/images/Avantinewimages/avanti_problems/Clutch_linkage_wear001a.jpg
              Bob Langer
              Glenshaw,PA

Comment

I have a '61 V8 Lark chassis here, and I think that part is good, as I used that chassis as an engine test bed, and drove it around the yard. If you are stuck, send me a PM, and I could throw it in the mail.
                Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Thanks everyone for taking the time to respond! Hopefully I can secure the one from Gord for the short term and enact the fix Bob posted on the original one that is in the car as a long term solution. I unfortunately don't have a garage to work in, so I pretty much have to do jobs I can wrap up in one day. I don't want to leave the car on jack stands in the driveway overnight, and swapping one in will give me the time to work on the broken one and keep it waiting for the next time I need one.

Dean
                  Last edited by voxnut; 09-18-2016, 11:10 AM.
                  Dean Seavers
                  Sacramento, CA

Comment

Aa I have not had any problems with this item yet I will secure a few, or make some new ones, for the future. No need to wait until I'm left stranded.

Len

Comment

The STRONGER the Pressure Plate P.S.I. the sooner this will happen, but you do not want an Avanti, Super Lark/Hawk or H.D. Truck to have a lighter P/P so just keep it packed Full of grease and check it now and then.

A 170 6 Cyl. may go a Million miles on the First one!
                      StudeRich
                      Second Generation Stude Driver,
                      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

If you are unsuccessful in your quest, I have an assembly from a 63 for the cost of mailing. DavidClick image for larger version

Name:	DSC04815.JPG
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	1709188Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04816.JPG
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	1709189

Comment

Originally posted by altair View Post
                          If you are unsuccessful in your quest, I have an assembly from a 63 for the cost of mailing. David[ATTACH=CONFIG]58569[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]58570[/ATTACH]
                          Thanks! I appreciate it!
                          Dean Seavers
                          Sacramento, CA

Comment

I've got a couple used ones too........

Comment

Originally posted by jackb View Post
                              I've got a couple used ones too........
                              Thanks so much!
                              Dean Seavers
                              Sacramento, CA

Comment