X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Correct taillight for 1964 to 1966 Lark

Saw this item on EBay below

Know which years it is correct?

66 only............and early production. Later ones were chrome. Louvers were for the flow-thru air from the passenger compartment, through the package shelf slots into the trunk and out the tail light housing.
    sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
    1950 Champion Convertible
    1950 Champion 4Dr
    1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
    1957 Thunderbird

Comment

That is a 1966 light. The bars were part of the fresh air system.

Comment

That looks like a NOS bare cast Tail Light Rim. There should still be big piles of the bare ones in South Bend.

They played a little game with the Painted vs Chrome Rims in '66, oddly the Lower Level Commanders & Daytonas had Chrome ones and Cruisers were Painted, later in the Model Run they started putting Chrome ones on Cruisers as well.

To install one on a '64 or '65 you would need the Flow Through Ventilation Tail Light Box and the whole Car Rear Panel or some mods to it plus the Lenses for the Bottom, are not the same as the Lenses for the Top as used on '64-'65's.

Click image for larger version

Name:	66 Daytona Black Black Black5.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	1709121 Click image for larger version

Name:	66CruiserC531501c.jpg
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	1709122 Click image for larger version

Name:	Stratto Blue Cruiser4.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	1709123 A '64 Cruiser
        Last edited by StudeRich; 09-16-2016, 10:02 AM.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
          They played a little game with the Painted vs Chrome Rims in '66, oddly the Lower Level Commanders had Chrome ones and Cruisers were Painted, later in the Model Run they started putting Chrome ones on Cruisers as well.
          Rich, early Commanders were all body color, and Daytonas and Cruisers had only the louvers painted with chrome exposed around the lens. Later in the year, all models (except Wagonaire) got the entire chrome bezel.

Craig

Comment

Would one of these fit on a 64 or 65, just not being functional?
            Mike Davis
            1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
              Rich, early Commanders were all body color, and Daytonas and Cruisers had only the louvers painted with chrome exposed around the lens. Later in the year, all models (except Wagonaire) got the entire chrome bezel.
              Craig
              The Pics above kinda disprove that Paint & Chrome Theory don't they Craig? That must have only happened on sold in Canada Units, never saw one.

Here is another ALL Paint:

Name:	66 Cruiser Gold my C531659f.jpg
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	1709124
              Last edited by StudeRich; 09-16-2016, 10:24 AM.
              StudeRich
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                The Pics above kinda disprove that Paint & Chrome Theory don't they Craig? That must have only happened on sold in Canada Units, never saw one.
                http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...9-Lots-of-66-s!

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...-see-those-66s!

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by StudeNewby View Post
                  Would one of these fit on a 64 or 65, just not being functional?
                  Yes, but you'll lose your back up lights. The 66s had separate back up lights just above the bumper.
                  Skip Lackie

Comment

There were indeed early vs. late editions - painted louvered area vs. chrome.
                    It is difficult to get electrolytic plating to "throw" correctly when the part geometry is like the slotted louvered feature. I'll bet the original intent was to have all chrome but plating problems forced them to regroup with the painted versions. I recall 3 variations - all painted, chrome lower bezel with painted louvered area, and finally, all chrome when they sort of solved the plating problem. I say sort of since the chrome was a little thin along the slotted features.
                    These running changes had nothing to do with Cruiser vs. Commander.

Comment

Originally posted by Studebakercenteroforegon View Post
                      I recall 3 variations - all painted, chrome lower bezel with painted louvered area, and finally, all chrome when they sort of solved the plating problem. I say sort of since the chrome was a little thin along the slotted features. These running changes had nothing to do with Cruiser vs. Commander.
                      At the beginning of the year, Commanders had different part numbers from Daytona & Cruiser:

The revised parts catalog insert shows the later all-chrome bezel for all models:

Craig

Comment

Just a quick question about the trunk pictures. I like the chrome piece on the third picture. Is it possible to find one and would it fit on my 65 commander?

Comment

Third picture chrome is a 64 Cruiser only item. I have seen them for sale at swap meets and yes they will fit on a 64 or 65 and even a 66 commander.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by bill matwijec View Post
                            Just a quick question about the trunk pictures. I like the chrome piece on the third picture. Is it possible to find one and would it fit on my 65 commander?
                            It was only used on '64 Cruisers but it is Aluminum and the Chrome Letters do not show on silver.

So what they should have done was Satin Black the center ribbed part or use the Very trendy in '64-'65, Walnut Vinyl trim used on other makes, Trucks and Station Wagons.

I do not believe the Second Series, Late '64's from Canada had these.
                            StudeRich
                            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Here is another 64 Daytona with the 66 tail lights - maybe it was offered?

http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/cto/5788307718.html

Name:	Craigslist 64 Daytona.jpg
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	1709225

Comment

Working...
                              X