installation templates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: installation templates

Does anyone know if a template exist for installing a the rubber fender aprons on a 53-55 coupe. Mine is completely gone,and I want to install new ones. Also, many dealers installed accessory mirrors on doors, I would think that they would have used a template to install them in the "best" place? I would like to have access to both templates. It would be great if SI, and other suppliers would include a paper template when these items are purchased.

Not sure what you are asking for. Fender liners, as on todays cars weren't installed on your car. There are some fender to cowl splash guards see :

The reason they appear missing is, that they weren't there.
    Mirrors were mostly dealer installed-often by "where they looked good"--leading to a mixed bag of placements. Exterior rear view mirrors were, at the time, not a required vehicle part by law, so most came without any. New owners who wanted them, either bought them and put them on themselves or dealers installed accessory ones. Lots of changes to automobiles since 1950s, lots and lots of government regulations came later.
    Welcome to the forum
    Last edited by karterfred88; 09-16-2016, 12:13 PM.

Comment

The SDC template collection manager will probably have a template -- if it was an authorized accessory.

Skip Lackie

Comment

body/ front fender rubber aprons

Originally posted by karterfred88 View Post
        Not sure what you are asking for. Fender liners, as on todays cars weren't installed on your car. There are some fender to cowl splash guards see :

The reason they appear missing is, that they weren't there.
        Mirrors were mostly dealer installed-often by "where they looked good"--leading to a mixed bag of placements. Exterior rear view mirrors were, at the time, not a required vehicle part by law, so most came without any. New owners who wanted them, either bought them and put them on themselves or dealers installed accessory ones. Lots of changes to automobiles since 1950s, lots and lots of government regulations came later.
        Welcome to the forum

Thanks for your reply. I am referring to the rubber splash aprons "stapled" to each front inner fender. Thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by 5hawks View Post
          I am referring to the rubber splash aprons "stapled" to each front inner fender.
          Even if they are totally gone you can see the perforations where they were "stapled". I bought a set of the repros from SI some years ago and they were not really correct. I think they may have been copied from a set from a sedan. Even without a pattern they were easy enough to fabricate from scratch.
          As far as the mirrors are concerned, other responses have been right on target. If you purchase external rearview mirrors, have someone move them around as you sit in the drivers seat and pick the most effective location, being careful to avoid interference from the wing vent window. There is virtually no way to make the passenger side mirror of any value unless it is one of the door edge mount type.
          Brad Johnson,
          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Rear view mirror on wife's 57 Hawk is viewed through the vent window and does well. no R/S mirror. same for my 62 Lark, but it originally had a window frame mounted "Peep" mirror that worked well. this has since been transferred to my 53 Coupe "Hot Rod". sit in your car and have a helper hold mirror against door to find best spot to mount, you want them to be useful not just decorative. Luck Doofus

Comment

I have additional question. Will be looking at same thing for my 52. How would you staple these on? Do you have to predrill the holes? Do you know if SI has the staples?
              Thanks

Comment

Side or rear view mirrors can be made functional by buying convex stick-on mirrors at Wal-Mart close to mirror size & applying them,they are hard to notice & work great as many I have told will attest to.

Comment

Some of the mirrors offered at S.I. have the option of a convex lens. If you buy a pair of those I would first have someone hold the right mirror in a position where you can see it well from the drivers seat, then mark the right door position & confirm with the drivers side mirror.
                  59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                  60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                  61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                  62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                  62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                  62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                  63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                  63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                  64 Zip Van
                  66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                  66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Originally posted by cjresto View Post
                    I have additional question. Will be looking at same thing for my 52. How would you staple these on? Do you have to predrill the holes? Do you know if SI has the staples?
                    Thanks
                    Over the years, I've replaced two baffle seals that go against the hood using old truck tire tubes (heavier rubber) cut to shape. On one, I pre-drilled the holes to fit 1/16" diameter stainless steel welding rod and made my own staples and fit them. On the other I used regular staples and bent them over by hand.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1746.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	1709145
                    Bill L.
                    1962 GT Hawk

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
                      Even if they are totally gone you can see the perforations where they were "stapled". I bought a set of the repros from SI some years ago and they were not really correct. I think they may have been copied from a set from a sedan. Even without a pattern they were easy enough to fabricate from scratch.
                      As far as the mirrors are concerned, other responses have been right on target. If you purchase external rearview mirrors, have someone move them around as you sit in the drivers seat and pick the most effective location, being careful to avoid interference from the wing vent window. There is virtually no way to make the passenger side mirror of any value unless it is one of the door edge mount type.

Thanks for your reply. On the rubber splash guard problem, the placement would be easier if the fenders were on the car using eh frame as a guide, but they they are much easier to install off the car. On the mirrors, I will continue to have a helper hold it in place while I remain in the car looking for the "best" spot to mount.

Comment

body (installation templates

Originally posted by cjresto View Post
                        Thanks
                        To answer your question, SI has the staples to mount the front fender rubber splash aprons. They sell a package of 20 for two dollars. They are prebent to the same spacing as the factory used. You will have to bend them onto the fender with a wooden dowel, or whatever works best for you. You should be able to locate the old staple holes in the fender, but will need to drill the out due to paint build up, etc. over the years.

Comment

Good ideas! thank for you reply

Comment

Many years ago when I restored my Speedster neither the rubber or the staples were available. I went to a rubber supply company for the material and used the original rubber for a pattern. Then using some fairly heavy wire, I threaded the wire through small holes that made by driving a nail through the rubber, and then through the original holes in the sheet metal. I then twisted the wire tight on the backside. When I finished the job looked close to original.

Comment

Working...
                            X