Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Found in Bob Peterson's Shop

Not a Stude, but pretty neat!

I was in California a couple of weeks ago and Bob wanted me to do an eBay listing for one of his long time friend's drag race cars. When I got there, I found this...

Not just ANY drag race car, but the Del Rio Brothers A/Street Roadster! If you're old like me and lived in the San Francisco area, you knew this car. It won the America's Most Beautiful Roadster trophy in 1971 at the Grand National Roadster Show (then the Oakland Roadster Show) AND held the A/Street Roadster drag record for 5 years.

I had lots of fun photographing the car, talking with Wayne Del Rio (builder/owner/driver) and putting the listing together. The listing broke tonight at 6 PM PDT. Here it is...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201665909609...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Quite an honor for me to actually meet Wayne and to see this car in person.
    Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

That's way cool! Thanks for sharing.
    Mike - Assistant Editor, Turning Wheels
    Fort Worth, TX

Comment

Nicely done Dick and Bob, really brings back some memories. Hope he gets a good price for it and the new owner keeps it in the public eye at shows and races.
      Pat Dilling
      Olivehurst, CA
      Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Way cool. Great looking car.

Comment

Dick like always a super nice ad, it really hurts Wayne to sell the car but getting older and health reasons along with no one in the family left to really keep and maintain the car to it full classy self.
          Last edited by candbstudebakers; 09-16-2016, 10:35 AM.
          Candbstudebakers
          Castro Valley,
          California

Comment

Golly, Dick. That ad reads like a historical magazine article. Nice work!
            Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Great post Dick. A fine piece of history I had all but forgotten (but now the lights went back on!). I think the ad in itself is a wonderful tribute to Tony and Wayne. I hope it goes to an appreciative home.

Comment

I knew that car looked familiar. I've got both of those issues of Popular Hot Rodding. Quite a piece of history for someone.
                "In the heart of Arkansas."
                Searcy, Arkansas
                1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                1952 2R pickup

Comment

Wow. Its hard to believe all that happened almost 50 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by 52-fan View Post
                    I knew that car looked familiar. I've got both of those issues of Popular Hot Rodding. Quite a piece of history for someone.
                    The July cover just might be my favorite of all time! Such the juxtaposition...

Dick Steinkamp
                    Bellingham, WA

Comment

It's not a Studebaker, but it does have Hoosier racing tires. Just 10 or so miles south of South Bend.
                      Mark L

Comment

Comment

That is my granddaughter Allanah and Bob's adopted granddaughter.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3309.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	110.2 KB
ID:	1709294

Comment

No sale. Guess eBay established the current value, realistic or not. stupak

Comment

Maybe but don't count on it, things don't always sell the first time around, after the auction ends E-bay shows me the seller the high bid of some one that was bidding but it never reached by other bidders and that was $35,600, one of the bidders was Reggie Jackson the base ball player as he had known the car when built in fact his name was on it in the early years, time will tell.
                              Candbstudebakers
                              Castro Valley,
                              California

Comment

Working...
                              X