Name:	IMG_20160913_170748.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	1751763Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160912_154525978.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	1751764

It has been 30 years since I saw my first 37 Coupe Express, I had brought my 1946 M series truck to the international show in Orlando Fla. 1986. I had a Champ P/U also that was in about a thousand pieces and I had bought the M series from "Big Daddy" Don Gartlis,the drag racer. He had bought the truck to restore his original M series that he use to haul the "Swamp Rat" with and decided that it was too nice to use for parts. I walked around a bit and then I saw it. It was restored to impeccable standards and it's silver paint "knocked me out." It was the most beautiful pickup I had ever seen and was owned by a Mr. Ernst I believe his name was. All I could think of was Hank Williams Sr., don't ask me why, that was just the visual! Fast forward 30 years and I finally have mine. This coupe was rotting away in Minnesota and a retired "Gunney" Sargent from Jacksonville North Carolina rescued it and started a 10 year build to what you can see. Now, before all you purists start ripping us apart for de-facing the "Holy Grail," try to remember that this was just a shell and frame. The PO did a fantastic job making this little jewel road worthy again. He spent months replacing all the rusted sheet metal in the floors, A-pillars, fenders. Installed a fuel injected LT1, 4 speed electronic overdrive, power windows, vintage air, tilt, fatman frontend, power rack and pinion and painless wiring. The cab, cowl and hood have all been painted this creme color (That's gonna change,) I haven't decided what color yet--- Black, Ferrari Red, I've got time to think about it.
    I have tried to buy several other members 37's through the years but we all know that when these come up for sale they are usually scooped up pretty quickly and are expensive. I made the deal a couple of months ago and finally flew from Reno Nevada to Jacksonville North Carolina and loaded up all the parts and drove it 300 miles home to Mooresville North Carolina with the biggest smile on my face ever. I can't say enough about the impressive work that Jimmy Clarke did to this truck, he loved this truck and was glad I was the one getting it.

Even though it won't be stock and restored to original, I guarantee it will be one of the nicest Coupe Express's around. I intend on driving it and explaining to people about the fantastic Studebaker cars and Trucks and who knows, maybe in thirty years someone else might be writing the same about mine.
    Last edited by StudebakerGene; 09-16-2016, 08:27 AM.
    sigpic

HUGE congrats on that StudebakerGene ! They are one of the most desirable vehicles in the world to me too ! Like you, price had always been a "no can do".

Comment

Congrats; whatever you paid was a bargain. Agree, the '37 CE is one of the best-looking Stude ever built. If I could fit inside, I'd have been driving same for forty years now. Luv'm.

jack vines
      PackardV8

Comment

Congrats! Always been on my bucket list of trucks as well. I have always wanted a CE or a 40's Hudson Big Boy
        1960 Lark VIII Regal Wagon

Comment

Very nice truck .. Even the car line of that year was very attractive .. If I ever get a post war Studebaker I would want a 37 or 38 ..
          Love my Lark

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160912_083144221.jpg
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	1709103Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160913_171059.jpg
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	1709104Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160912_083136761 (2).jpg
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	1709106Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160913_160852678_HDR.jpg
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	1709107Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160913_160943940_HDR.jpg
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	1709108Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160914_093928396.jpg
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	1709109

Here's a few more photos. Interior is "spartan" at best. The dash has been completely redone with really nice gauges. New windshield glass and weatherstripping, GM tilt, banjo-wheel. chrome tubular a-arms. I have owned hundreds of hot rods through the years and this one is in the top 5 for fastest I believe so far. This truck is "brutally quick!"
            Last edited by StudebakerGene; 09-15-2016, 09:48 AM.
            sigpic

Comment

Glad you finally spilled your guts about this, Gene...
              It was hard for me not to say anything

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Got my flame suit on to ask this question............

Does anybody else think the small rear window with sharp corners could be be improved to more match the rest of the CE which is so "curvy"
                Only asking 'cause this beauty is still in process.

Coker

Comment

Originally posted by KCoupeNewbie View Post

Does anybody else think the small rear window with sharp corners could be be improved to more match the rest of the CE which is so "curvy"

Craig

Comment

Sets nice, needs a bit of work, great drive train and suspension ---- PERFECT!!!

One of my all time favorite Studebakers.

Bob

Comment

Jeff

I followed your advice and didn't let the Ju-Ju mess it up, he did have one "last refusal" that he had promised years ago--- I'm so glad that the person didn't exercise that option and thanks to you for helping make this happen. I am still so excited to get this going, OMG it's gonna be "definitely different." One caveat to the purchase, when I flew back to Reno yesterday I didn't even go down to the garage and check on the Champ, so today at lunch I drove it back to work and realized, I own two of the most stylish and bad ass hot rods there are--- I need to count my blessings because I am "one lucky guy."
                      sigpic

Comment

Kcoupenewbie

no flame suit needed with me, I take all advice and prioritize it. I really want to keep it looking totally stock on the outside, (just lowered a bunch) I do however like your thoughts, a nice oval rear window would be more stylish--- but it ain't happening
                        Last edited by StudebakerGene; 09-16-2016, 07:40 AM.
                        sigpic

Comment

From strictly a styling point of view, I tend to agree with you.
                          The rectangular box looks out of place amongst all those sexy curves.
                          I always thought (and know of one '39) that the small Ccab ('49/'53) rear window would have been perfect.
                          But..I won't be changing mine, either..

Originally posted by KCoupeNewbie View Post

Only asking 'cause this beauty is still in process.

Coker
                          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I did notice for the 4 days that I drove it, that the fact that it wasn't small really helped visually, as us old farts get older we need all the help we can get with vision---LOL
                            sigpic

Comment

I've had a lot of rare Studes, and currently own a lot of rare Studes. But the 37 CE & 37 dictator coupe will probably always be my favorites. I've owned a diesel truck, couple 4X4 trucks, couple Scottman trucks, 2 Toters, R1 wagoneer, full package R2 Daytona (1 of 9) a 29 & 30 dictator coupe (both survivors). but never a 37 CE or dictator. Congrats to all who have one. I'll join the club someday.

Still own all of them but the diesel, 1 of the 4X4's and the scottsman's
                              John

62' Deluxe R2 4SPD.

63' R1 Wagonaire

57' Transtar 259 punched to 312 NP540 4:09 TT Under Construction

58' 3E6D Stock 4X4

64' (Studebaker Built) Trailer Toter

Comment

Working...
                              X