Odd looking Studebaker truck transport

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odd looking Studebaker truck transport

Someone posted a picture of an odd looking Studebaker truck transport and I can not find it anymore.
    It had the cab elevated.
    I have some more info on this.
    Can someone point me to this post?

Sounds like the same thing Dodge did to be able to use a pickup Cab on a Medium to Heavy Truck.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Was it a owner-modified one like that green cabover M-series that's been seen here a few times? Or was it something factory produced?

Craig

Comment

Was it a COE?

Comment

Bob,
          Is that the truck that he is looking for a grille for?

Originally posted by rkapteyn View Post
          Someone posted a picture of an odd looking Studebaker truck transport and I can not find it anymore.
          It had the cab elevated.
          I have some more info on this.
          Can someone point me to this post?
          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

No.
            Someone posted a picture of a Studebaker truck transport system that had several trucks on it and the cab was elevated on one of the trucks which was the powered unit.
            A weird set up!
            I found a three page truck division service bulletin (1950)describing this new way of delivering trucks over the road.
            I can not remember where I saw this picture.
            Robert Kapteyn

Comment

Was it as weird as this?
              Click image for larger version

Name:	Corbit High Boy.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	154.7 KB
ID:	1709105
              1950 Corbitt "High Boy", built in Henderson, NC
              Mike Davis
              1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

I wonder what the purpose was for it to be so tall?? That is one odd looking truck .. Love to see one in person and go for a ride though .
                Love my Lark

Comment

Here's a paragraph copied off the Corbitt Preservation Association web site.......

In the early 1950s, Corbitt built ten very tall cabover tractors for Turner Transfer of Greensboro, NC, a specialized machinery mover. They could seat 4 or 5 men across the cab and a man could sleep on the floor in the space beneath the windshield. These trucks were powered by 8-cylinder English Gardner diesels. They are probably still the tallest trucks ever used regularly in a highway application. They were also an early example of a tilt cab.
                  Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Originally posted by Dwain G. View Post
                    They are probably still the tallest trucks ever used regularly in a highway application.
                    I wonder if this is taller: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...storation-site

Craig

Comment

Working...
                    X