Dirty spare tire???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dirty spare tire???

I was looking at Studebakers on ebay and stopped to look at a 63 GT 4 speed car http://www.ebay.com/itm/Studebaker-H...m=162200255562 . The car looks nice, but with some normal wear and tear. The thing that surprised me was the condition of the spare tire. I think I would have taken it out of the trunk for the pictures.
    Attached Files
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

If they are selling it on consignment and do not own it outright, they may not be able to make changes.

Since it is a business, I will make a couple of comments.
    1) They have the model name spelled two different ways, both incorrect. They could read it right off the car.
    2) I have no idea what that number is that they use for a "VIN". "VIN (Vehicle Identification Number):
    GCCDFW81" Perhaps it is something made up for a salvage/stolen/lost title. Could the DFW part stand for Dallas Fort Worth (the dealer is in Texas)?
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Agreed, that wheel and tire look like they were a the bottom of a lake for a long time, yuck.
      Frank van Doorn
      Omaha, Ne.
      1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
      1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
      1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
        I have no idea what that number is that they use for a "VIN". "VIN (Vehicle Identification Number):
        GCCDFW81" Perhaps it is something made up for a salvage/stolen/lost title. Could the DFW part stand for Dallas Fort Worth (the dealer is in Texas)?
        One can clearly see body #1007 is visible in the underhood shot. Perhaps someone is able to back-track to the serial number.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 41 Frank View Post
          Agreed, that wheel and tire look like they were a the bottom of a lake for a long time, yuck.
          Hopefully, the entire car wasn't!

Comment

Yep, my thoughts as well!
            Just a few minutes with spray-nine and a hose would be a vast improvement.
            sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
            Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
            "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Just think if that's what the original spare tire looked like what did the car look like before the new coat of paint?

Comment

The alternator pulley and the Hydro-Vac also show rust. Curiouser and curiouser.

Originally posted by swvalcon View Post
                Just think if that's what the original spare tire looked like what did the car look like before the new coat of paint?
                Mike Davis
                1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

Originally posted by swvalcon View Post
                  That was my first thought also.

I am surprised at the number of missing spare tires and even more, the jacks are seldom sold with the car.

Comment

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned it missing the battery hold down! Plus those battery cables look awfully thin (especially the ground wire)......................and long!!
                    59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                    60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                    61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                    62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                    62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                    62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                    63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                    63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                    64 Zip Van
                    66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                    66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

I think it's got all that I would want

Comment

The last time we saw it and talked about it, they must have had a no sale like they are going to have now.

An R1 Engine? with a Holly Carburetor, wrong Air Cleaner, Chrysler Alternator, bad Batt. Cables, No hold Down, rusted, muddy Spare, non-matching Arm Rests and Console (probably the ONLY things original inside that car!) I doubt it was built with a Black Interior.
                        Wow, anything Good?
                        Oh yeah, a shinny re-paint.

Of course all this stuff is somewhat minor, but it's what you expect on a cheap $2000.00 Craigslist Car, not a $20,000.00 eBay Ad from the "Worlds Largest Classic Car Dealer!
                        Last edited by StudeRich; 09-13-2016, 10:54 PM.
                        StudeRich
                        Second Generation Stude Driver,
                        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Quite a few loose ends on that car.

It appears the Climatizer hoses are missing, as is the a/c compressor.

If I was to spend that kind of money on a car, I would want the basics like the heater to be operational, regardless of make, and on this one, all the a/c components to be in place.

Craig

Comment

I'd be real worried about the frame and hog troughs...

Comment

it's only had a "partial Restoration". They just haven't gotten to the spare tire yet!
                              Own \'53 Commander Starliner. Red w/beige top. 350 Chev/700R4. Tilt,cruise,A/C.http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j30/Bobphyl/StudeontheBeach.jpg

Comment

Working...
                              X