new edelbrock hookups on R-1 Hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: new edelbrock hookups on R-1 Hawk

I've got a new Edelbrock1406 to put on an R-1 1964 Hawk. The valley cover has no provision for a PCV valve. The hose from the dipstick breather tube connects to the air cleaner. The old AFB is in place.

I've installed numerous 1403 carbs on my 259 and 289 cars, but they have the stock PCV systems, but I am in need of some advise on the R-1 installation.

I will be using an aftermarket air cleaner with no provision for the hose from the breather tube. So, I wonder if I am supposed to attach that hose from the breather tube to the front PCV port on the new carb ????

If not, what do I do with that hose?

Thanks in advance ...

Larry

There should be 2 hoses from the R1 breather tube. The small one goes to the PCV in the carb. On an original AFB, this was in the rear of the carb. Current wisdom is to attach this to the front of the Edelbrock and put a plug in the rear orifice. You would either need to thread the front port or locate an in line valve. The large hose still goes to the filter. Most aftermarket filters I have seen have a punch out on the base for this purpose.
    78 Avanti RQB 2792
    64 Avanti R1 R5408
    63 Avanti R1 R4551
    63 Avanti R1 R2281
    62 GT Hawk V15949
    56 GH 6032504
    56 GH 6032588
    55 Speedster 7160047
    55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

If your PCV tube (adapter to the oil pan) has 2 hoses coming from it. The small diameter is connected, presently, to the back of the AFB, where the original PCV valve is screwed into the carb base, the big hose goes to a fitting on the air cleaner. Since your Edelbrock has no provision to screw in a PCV valve, you need to get an aftermarket universal style one, attach it to the small hose (vacuum side to carb) with a second hose going into the provided inlet at the front of the Edelbrock. You could (but not necessary) pull the pressed in tube on the front of the new carb, tap the hole to match the old PCV valve and screw it in, but why bother. The large hose will go to the air cleaner, which may or may not, have a place to install a nipple for the second bigger hose.

Comment

Working...
      X