Sky Hawk - 62 289 and long tail Flight O Matic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frame / Springs: Sky Hawk - 62 289 and long tail Flight O Matic

I believe I have a 62 Hawk frame also - one piece drive shaft and no evidence of the u joint crossmember yoke for the 2 piece drive shaft. I need new rear springs and have been told 62 Hawk springs are longer than for a Sky Hawk. How do I tell if I have a 62 frame? Thanks

Originally posted by rowan View Post
    <snip> How do I tell if I have a 62 frame? Thanks
    Check the serial number stamped on the top rear flange of the rearmost crossmember and publish that number here. It might also be a good idea to take & post a few pics. of the frame rails directly in front of the rear spring mounts. TIA

Comment

The rear springs will be assymetrical. That is the front part from the spring perch bolt will be shorter than the rear.
      Bez Auto Alchemy
      573-318-8948
      http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Long rear springs and one piece drive shaft could be 1958 and up.

Comment

58 up has a spring of 20 1/2" from centre of front spring eye to centre spring pack bolt. The earlier springs are about 24".

Comment

Thanks guys - spring front eye to perch is 20.5" - rear is 32" - can't see a # on top of the rear crossmember flange unless I take it off - I guess - maybe looking at the wrong place. So we've established its 58 or later - hoping its 62 or later. Are there any other identifying #s or configurations to help date this frame?

Comment

<snip> ...can't see a # on top of the rear crossmember flange unless I take it off - I guess - maybe looking at the wrong place. So we've established its 58 or later - hoping its 62 or later. Are there any other identifying #s or configurations to help date this frame?
              More about locating that "secret" serial number here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...-Or-not-per-CP

With body installed; usually a flex-head inspection type mirror and a flashlight are all that is needed. That area on the rear-most crossmember may need "a little cleaning-up" before the serial number digits can be read. If there's a will; there's a way!!!

Comment

On every car I have looked at, the serial number is on the bottom (facing the ground) rear flange of the rearmost crossmember.
                Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
                '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
                '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
                '58 Packard Hawk. A partially restored car that was not completely assembled.

Comment

Expect some driveshaft clearance (to floor tunnel) issues if you bolt a stock '56 Sky Hawk (K) body onto that '62 frame & one piece driveshaft setup!

Comment

No clearance issues - configured this way for at least 18 years by PO. PO's widow knows nothing other than her late husband spent lots of money.

Comment

No clearance issues - configured this way for at least 18 years by PO. PO's widow knows nothing other than her late husband spent lots of money.
                      Do you carry people in the back seat much?

Comment

Nope - not till I get new springs and shocks.....

Comment

Working...
                        X