57/58 Golden Hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: 57/58 Golden Hawk

I am rebuilding / restoring a 57 golden Hawk and have a problem determining where a line attached as a drain for overflow fuel in the Air box goes. Both the original car (57) and the donor have a drain port. The 58 had a 1/8 line broken after about 5 inches attached to the bottom. It seems logical that there be a drain for the possible fuel over flow but areas that are close to the air box donor seem like good places to dump the fuel with the exhaust manifolds and pipes are in close proximity. Where is this drain supposed to exit?

There should be a clip under a bolt on the timing cover. the line exits about crank pulley height I believe on the passenger side of the engine. The supercharger to fuel pump reference line is on the drivers side.
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Thanks. There are no current clips thanks to a P.O. So if I understand the 1/8-inch tube that begins on the passenger underside of the air box and threads forward around the oil filer tube and down between the water pump manifold and the block. And, is secured to one of the passenger side timing cover bolts with a clip like the one securing the line on the driver's side from the pressure side of the supercharger output which is used to pressurize the fuel pump. The line discharges just below the crank pulleys into the airstream. ??

Comment

Yes, that is what I understand. I don't believe it was ever mentioned in the parts books. The drain was an added feature after the literature was published. Early cars didn't have them
        Bez Auto Alchemy
        573-318-8948
        http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

The parts book in the fuel section page 73 has the drain listed see notes 16 and 17 page 74 note 18
          Attached Files

Comment

I am using the January, 1961 revision of Studebaker and Packard Chassis Parts catalog. My pages 73 and 74 do not look like yours (what revision do you have?) On Page 81 of mine there is a list of part numbers: 1543107, g137395, 1543108 & 64335 which seem to relate to the air chamber base drain which is referenced to note 18 (page 75- my edition) which further references 57H-K7 before PS5,247. But, this is not notably instructive on where the drain actually exits. Based in info from Bez Auto Alchemy information the puzzle is solvable. Does your revision have a schematic breakdown of the geometry (like the one “Supercharger Installation and Related Parts” on page 73 of my edition?
            Thanks for the help.

Comment

My Parts book is Feb 1957 which you can find on Packardinfo look 57 Packard and all paper work they have which includes manuals parts books service bulletins
              Attached Files

Comment

Thanks. I had not realized that there was a “ Packardinfo.com” nor had I thought to look to the Packard Hawks for information They were after all repurposed Studebakers with new trim and badging after 1956. The electronic copies of the parts catalogue beat the grease stained paper copy I have been using. Great info and a new resource.
                Steve

Comment

Working...
                X